D Prepared Miata Build

Found another 8 lb give or take to pull. Those steel sliders + angle iron bracketry are heavey as all hell. Going to be replacing them with just a hair over 1 lb of aluminium.

20130514_220732.jpg

20130514_220944.jpg

Awesome! My team did the same thing in our Lemons cars. Also helped ease roll bar/cage clearances on our taller drivers because the seats were 1-2in lower.

Thanks Steve. I'm looking forward to finally meeting the faces behind some of the cars I've been using as inspiration in September :)

So the driver's side is adjustable (assumingly for different drivers) but the passenger's side is now fixed? Are the seats still considered "safe" with the sliders?

So the driver's side is adjustable (assumingly for different drivers) but the passenger's side is now fixed? Are the seats still considered "safe" with the sliders?

They're the stock sliders, so I'd hope so. The passenger's side *WILL* be fixed once I find the time to get the new brackets installed, yes.

Looking forward to getting to finally drive this car next weekend, last time i drove it the car was still streetable

They're the stock sliders, so I'd hope so. The passenger's side *WILL* be fixed once I find the time to get the new brackets installed, yes.

I was just curous because when I was looking for seats for the RX-7 all the FIA/SFI certifications were very specific about what brackets and such they required. Maybe the Kirkey seats are different than the fiberglass ones. Either way I found out I can't run sliders in the RX-7 due to headroom. Not that you have that problem...

That lovely feeling when you're nearing the end of a project. You've got everything fabbed up enough for a mock-up. The thing's close enough to being done that you can already see the finished product. It's going to be perfect! It will work exactly as I intended!

20130516_213209.jpg

...if only it fit in the space available.

tumblr_lrsnzdBKye1qafrh6.gif

Apparently the floor-pan is wide enough for a 17 seat if, and only if it's bottom-mounted.

No one notices bolt heads in the seat pan if they're very close to the outside edge of the seat. At least that has been my experience.

No one notices bolt heads in the seat pan if they're very close to the outside edge of the seat. At least that has been my experience.
Yeah, they've been bottom mounted for years. The problem I'm trying to solve, as it were, is how to replace the heavy @$$ sliders. I've got some steel & aluminium bar-stock coming my way, I'm going to make a couple brackets to bolt the seat to out of that and call it a day.

I drilled a small hole in the lowest point of the seat, so water would drain out.

Same

On two MK2 MR2s I bolted a flat strip of steel from the aft slider mount to the forward slider mount, with bends where appropriate. Then bolted the seats (Kirkey Road Race) to the strips with vertically oriented bolts, shank down. Works like a charm for a super-light low-profile seat mount.

We were trying to fit 6'+ tall guys inside an MK2 with an interior roll-cage and not use halo bars.

On two MK2 MR2s I bolted a flat strip of steel from the aft slider mount to the forward slider mount, with bends where appropriate. Then bolted the seats (Kirkey Road Race) to the strips with vertically oriented bolts, shank down. Works like a charm for a super-light low-profile seat mount.

We were trying to fit 6'+ tall guys inside an MK2 with an interior roll-cage and not use halo bars.

Yep, that's basically the next step :)

Last edited:
What do you do when you cut down a tire after the 2nd run? Throw the rains on there and go do some d0reef0z!

20130519_111151.jpg

Bloody hell it was a handful, but it was fun. Not fast, but fun... once I got over being pretty ticked off about cutting the tire down.

Back