D Prepared Miata Build

Final alignment numbers:

IMG_20130302_172652.jpg

It was WAY out of whack. I'm going to have to check it more frequently, and probably buy a new set of alignment cams to use next go-round. I guess lots of grip puts a lot of force on the suspension. Who knew!? :p

As she sits, waiting for our 1st autocross next weekend:
IMG_20130302_173732.jpg

After doing all this work, I am SO stoked for next weekend :D

Probably my last update before next weekend (PLEASE LET IT BE SO!!!). Swung by DIYAutotune on Friday and whipped up a "race" dashboard with only the essentials. Once I have the oil pressure input going, I'll add that one too. The big rectangle is the "tach" and is basically just a shift light. Starts at 5000, goes to 7500, goes green > yellow > red as RPM gets higher. Why? because if you're below 5000 RPM, you're not going fast enough :p

Screenshot_2013-03-03-09-54-01.png

The car was awesome! Going to make a couple of small alignment tweaks to try to get it to turn in before points 2 and fix a couple of small wire-routing issues, but beyond that, just wipe it down and drive it back on the trailer in a couple weeks. What more can you ask for? :D

Got tire? ;)
DSC04771.JPG

Nice runs.

Also, good god that's a big stop-box...

Why have a small one and have panic stops every time someone crosses the finish line? I've never been to a national event that had a stop-box of any kind that wasn't just a long shut-down after the lights. "Stop-boxes" = added danger for no good reason, unless you have a really small site (but then, just move the finish lights back...)

Last edited:
Why have a small one and have panic stops every time someone crosses the finish line? I've never been to a national event that had a stop-box of any kind that wasn't just a long shut-down after the lights. "Stop-boxes" = added danger for no good reason, unless you have a really small site (but then, just move the finish lights back...)

Heh, I'm right there with you. I'd rather cross the finish line at WOT, not trying to threshold brake at the last second.

Found another half-pound to pull out of the car. Any Miata folks need a set of these?

IMG_20130315_142409.jpg

You and Tamn need to have a competition if who can remove the largest percentage of weight from their cars ;) I think Im subbing for the first time to this thread too. I read through all the pages I think, most certainly interesting build you have. :)

13x10s and Avon slicks purchased. Down the rabbit hole we go... (peep)

Becky. Look at those treads. Can't wait to hear results of how testing goes :) are you planning to run them any time soon?

Becky. Look at those treads. Can't wait to hear results of how testing goes :) are you planning to run them any time soon?

My wheels MIGHT be here by late April...probably early May though :(

In the meantime, here's the 20x9x13 Avons compared to 205/50/15 Hoosier R6s

IMG_20130328_173234.jpg

Holy crapola. Those are some meaty slicks. Better late than never. Gives you something to look forward too? :)

Your going to love the grip, I've been running 20x9.5-13 Hoosiers or Goodyears on my rx7 for years.

Your going to love the grip, I've been running 20x9.5-13 Hoosiers or Goodyears on my rx7 for years.

I've been running the 20x9.5x13 Goodyears for a couple of years now (see here), but D Prepared lost the weight penalty for running 10" wheels, so we can run a straightwall (Avon) instead of the cantilever (GY / Hoosier). I've not heard of anyone not picking up a ton of speed moving from the cantilevers to these (even discarding Kiesel's recent 'tests'), so I'm looking forward to seeing what they'll do.

A friend of mine that drives an EP Civic said that the turn in on the new Hoosiers is alot more "crisp" then the Hoosier Canilivers. He told me that he didn't pick up a lot of time but that the car is easier to drive on the limit.

A friend of mine that drives an EP Civic said that the turn in on the new Hoosiers is alot more "crisp" then the Hoosier Canilivers. He told me that he didn't pick up a lot of time but that the car is easier to drive on the limit.

Who dat? And what size tire / wheel? Tim Smith runs an EP Civic as well in my region and is another of the Avon proponents. Given straigtwall vs cantilever of the same / similar width / compound, the straightwall is always going to be better.

Robert Christmas, he is from the NWOR region, he's using Hooisers, not sure of the size, but I got all of his Hoosier cantilivers from him.

Last edited:
Back