CX5 Turbo confirmed!

I don't think the turbo has the cylinder deactivation. It is the same engine as in the Mazda 6 and CX-9. The CX-9 feels nice - much like a CX-5 with the 2.5T. The recorded 0-60 time is about 7.1-7.3 seconds. As the CX-5 is ~700 lbs less, I could see the AWD CX-5 do that in about 0.5 seconds less. Should be a very nice car that hopefully will sill get ~24 MPG all around.

MPG should be between the Mazda6 (23/26/31) and CX-9 (22/24/28) since they all use the same engine. Im guessing closer to the sedan, based on relative weights. Im sure theyre motivated to get to 30 hwy for consumer optics.

MPG should be between the Mazda6 (23/26/31) and CX-9 (22/24/28) since they all use the same engine. Im guessing closer to the sedan, based on relative weights. Im sure theyre motivated to get to 30 hwy for consumer optics.
Over 65% of CX-5s or CX-9s sold in the US are AWD. We should use EPA rating on AWD CX-9 for comparison, which is 20/23/26. Based on the 3~4 mpg penalty from 2.5L to 2.5T on 2018 Mazda 6, I believe similar drop-off is very likely on CX-5 2.5T.

Also SkyActiv-G 2.5T is running out of breath after 4,000 rpm due to its relatively smaller turbo, itd affect 0~60 greatly during acceleration.

attachment.php

482C0909-0512-4991-8A77-59B79B8A9BA9.png

Over 65% of CX-5s or CX-9s sold in the US are AWD. We should use EPA rating on AWD CX-9 for comparison, which is 20/23/26. Based on the 3~4 mpg penalty from 2.5L to 2.5T on 2018 Mazda 6, I believe similar drop-off is very likely on CX-5 2.5T.

Also SkyActiv-G 2.5T is running out of breath after 4,000 rpm due to its relatively smaller turbo, itd affect 0~60 greatly during acceleration.

attachment.php

View attachment 219728

Good point I quoted the wrong numbers.

However, a 3-4 mpg drop-off would equate it to the CX-9 mpg you just showed, which wouldnt make much sense considering how much smaller the CX-5 is in comparison. I think the drop-off will be more friendly.

Also SkyActiv-G 2.5T is running out of breath after 4,000 rpm due to its relatively smaller turbo, it*d affect 0~60 greatly during acceleration.

Because it is tuned for everyday suburban driving and not top end power driving.

Good point I quoted the wrong numbers.

However, a 3-4 mpg drop-off would equate it to the CX-9 mpg you just showed, which wouldn*t make much sense considering how much smaller the CX-5 is in comparison. I think the drop-off will be more friendly.
3~4 mpg drop-off is on Mazda6 which makes it becoming one the of worst EPA FE ratings in the same class. You*d think Mazda should have done a better job to get better MPG ratings on 2.5T Mazda6?

3~4 mpg drop-off is on Mazda6 which makes it becoming one the of worst EPA FE ratings in the same class. You*d think Mazda should have done a better job to get better MPG ratings on 2.5T Mazda6?

Mazda has never had a good track record of fuel economy with turbo petrol engines.

Case in point CX-7 and 3 MPS (Mazdaspeed for you guys)

I didn't expect anything different this time around.

Mazda has never had a good track record of fuel economy with turbo petrol engines.

Case in point CX-7 and 3 MPS (Mazdaspeed for you guys)

I didn't expect anything different this time around.

On Fuelly, the CX-9 has an average of ~22 MPG overall. I could see the 2.5T in the CX-5 being 23-24 MPG overall.

Compared to what though? X3 xdrive 30 23.7, glc300 4matic also right there 23-24. Yeah they'll probably be a bit quicker, heavier and more refined but also 10k more and that's probably not even with all the goodies baked into the top trim cx5.

Still not very good

It would be worth it except the toyota rav 4 has 203hp with the base engine, and the hybrid will be the performance model and have more, and it has a 600+ mile per tank range....not a lot of room between 203hp and 227hp, and especially considering the base rav has 2 more gears than the cx5 and electric torque is instant...mazda better hope the rav hybrid doesnt out perform their 2.5t, or they will have a helluva time justifying it to anyone but a mazda fanboy.

Yeah no worries it won't but even if it did edge it out say in a straight line..CVT called said have fun with that rav4 ""sport"" hybrid ..but link to 600+mile range claim pls. Nevermind, found it..don't believe it esp outside of a vaccum but it is an impressive goal even if only in epa fake news numbers...but we shall see.

Last edited:
Yeah no worries it won't but even if it did edge it out say in a straight line..CVT called said have fun with that rav4 ""sport"" hybrid ..but link to 600+mile range claim pls. Nevermind, found it..don't believe it esp outside of a vaccum but it is an impressive goal even if only in epa fake news numbers...but we shall see.

CVT is just fine.

Who knows how the rav does, but their v6 rav from yester year gives me hope. Performance wise it is ringer for a turbo cx5, and that's from a decade ago nearly.

Last edited:
It would be worth it except the toyota rav 4 has 203hp with the base engine, and the hybrid will be the performance model and have more, and it has a 600+ mile per tank range....not a lot of room between 203hp and 227hp, and especially considering the base rav has 2 more gears than the cx5 and electric torque is instant...mazda better hope the rav hybrid doesnt out perform their 2.5t, or they will have a helluva time justifying it to anyone but a mazda fanboy.

We have no info here on what power figures our version of the RAV4 will be.

Might give the RAV4 a boost in sales but only time will tell

Also it's looks... beauty in the eye of the beholder.

We have no info here on what power figures our version of the RAV4 will be.

Might give the RAV4 a boost in sales but only time will tell

Also it's looks... beauty in the eye of the beholder.

What do you think about the new blazer? 305hp N/A with awd
2019-chevrolet-blazer-002-1529677079.jpg

Back