CX5 Turbo confirmed!

Doubtful.

If I am not mistaken, the CX-9 doesn't hit 0-60 mph under 6.0 seconds and that here, the top spec 2.5T CX-9 AWD weighs:

• 297 kg (654.77 lbs) more than top spec 2.5 NA CX-5 AWD
  • 223 kg (491.63 lbs) more than top spec 2.2 D CX-5 AWD

Incidentally the 2.2D CX-5 AWD was clocked doing 0-62 mph in 7.88 seconds, this is with 140 KW (187.74 HP) 450NM (331.91 FT/LBS).

Some how an extra 30 KW (40.20 HP) less 20NM (14.75 FT/LBS) on a relatively heavy vehicle wouldn't get it below 6.0 seconds for 0-60 mph

Are you sure about that? The Tiguan 240ps diesel will do it in 6.5secs.

The BMW facility in shitburg is huge and pumps out 500-1000 of those X series for the world. Very impressive facility. Volvo will not be making that same volume - heck they only sold ~50-60K cars in the USA alone and they are only currently planning on making 1 car there. Like most companies, Volvo will start small and ramp up production over the years - just like BMW did in the north.

BMW and Mazda are not the same company. Different sizes. BMW sells close to 3 million expensive cars a year and has a market cap of 55-60 billion. Mazda sells close to 1.5 million low cost cars and has a market cap of 7 billion. BMW also has one of the highest profit margins on all cars. Mazda can't build factories to compete with the likes of BMW or Toyota. If you look at the Mazda factory video's it is archaic. There are lots of people - way too many people actually involved in the car making processes. BMW does not do that. Heck, no company should be doing that.

Mazda did not miss the boat. As mentioned a 1000 times, this generation of the CX-5 is an absolute success. They are selling them in much larger numbers than the previous version- in almost every market. That is the point of producing something - to sell it. They need to make sure the 2.5T was not a bust. If they screw up the CX-5, they are done. Cooked and fried.

I do think the big problem for Mazda right now is that the 2.5 and the 2.5T is a dud of an engine. Too long of stroke and not rev friendly. They need to make a 2.0T or get the Sky-X to market ASAP.

The 2.5T would be my choice over a German 2L which is near to a 1.9 anyway. It has more torque I believe than it rivals, it would be hugely attractive in the UK to people wanting a towcar but not a diesel.

Agree for the mainstream buyers. But if they want to grow their sales numbers even further, they could create a performance trim that appeals to the fringe luxury buyers. Many of them care. I*m one.

Agreed. My DD is a '17 Audi A4. My lease is up in September 2019. I love our CX-5 inside and out but would like a little more power. I'm starting to feel less stressed driving higher up in heavy traffic, so I was considering a '19 Q5. I don't expect A4 0-60, but if Mazda puts the 2.5t and the Signature package in the '19 CX-5 it would be a strong contender for me. And I might go with the red this time around. Every time I see one it just pops.

Agreed. My DD is a '17 Audi A4. My lease is up in September 2019. I love our CX-5 inside and out but would like a little more power. I'm starting to feel less stressed driving higher up in heavy traffic, so I was considering a '19 Q5. I don't expect A4 0-60, but if Mazda puts the 2.5t and the Signature package in the '19 CX-5 it would be a strong contender for me. And I might go with the red this time around. Every time I see one it just pops.

Yep. There is a market for faster CX5 with luxury interior.
Audi Q5 is being considered for our next vehicle and the lower trim level doesn't even have blind spot monitoring at $43K.

That's because they still believe they can charge for (and get away with this) these items where as more and more mainstream vehicles have these features as standard equipment

That's because they still believe they can charge for (and get away with this) these items where as more and more mainstream vehicles have these features as standard equipment

Honda CRV LX trim doesn't have it. EX trim and above has it as standard.

Toyota RAV4 has it available for two upper trims as option.

Honda CRV LX trim doesn't have it. EX trim and above has it as standard.

Toyota RAV4 has it available for two upper trims as option.

That maybe now but they are adding them to more and more models.

Here, soon the CRV will have all these things as standard across the range. Just like how the CX-5 does.

One is already paying more for a bottom end European so you would expect for it to have this type of safety feature as standard.

One is already paying more for a bottom end European so you would expect for it to have this type of safety feature as standard.

Yes.
I have to go to the second trim level on Audi Q5 to get BSM.
BMW just started putting rearview cam as standard on this year's models.
The biggest deal makers for 5 mazda vehicles since 2014 in my family were standard BSM and rearview cams.

All cars sold in the US must have rearview vam from this year on.

Yes.
I have to go to the second trim level on Audi Q5 to get BSM.
BMW just started putting rearview cam as standard on this year's models.
The biggest deal makers for 5 mazda vehicles since 2014 in my family were standard BSM and rearview cams.

that means if it wasn't for the law, they would still be charging extra for it.

They probably do still charge extra for it - just increase the price of the car overall in the guise of a different minor improvement that costs them nothing.

Most makers will include it as standard equipment but adjust the overall price accordingly.

Both car and driver and motortrend are reporting the 2019 CX5 is a carryover as is from 2018 so no turbo for 2019.

F03AB003-6A52-4EBE-9B45-28ECCFF4EF01.jpeg Here*s the Motortrend info. I will post the CAR andDRIVER as well.

Apparently a Japanese website (link was posted a while ago here in a separate thread) states 2.5T coming in an upcoming update.

Australian website I posted in another thread also mentioned it's coming either late this year or early in 2019.

(hmm)

Back