CX-90 Blind Spot Monitor Malfunction

I had the same issue with Blind Monitor System on driver side giving false positive. I took it to the dealer today, it said "confirmed customer concerned, ... inspected the vehicle and found code U3000:01 (Left rear blind spot monitor electrical failure) Started a case with Mazda,... Mazda advise to replace module and recheck. The dealer today also verify that mine have an incoming recall, and they have confirmed that they fixed that, I will probably still get an letter for the recall but I can ignore it. I will need to wait for the new parts.

So a customer rep call this morning to inform me my vehicle was ready.

"Great! Is the issue resolved? Was the TSB performed?"

That would be a no, and no.

I was a bit annoyed and ready to go off, but reined it in as she explained the tech was unable to replicate the issue; so for the fifth time I explained the exact conditions that seem to trigger the problem in my experience. She said that the notes she read didn't include all that info which suggests to me that those I spoke to concerning the issue weren't listening. So I explained that since the issue occurs daily, and I was certain it would occur on the drive home, I wasn't very pleased. I also referenced this thread and the videos contained herein, to which she replied.

"Our techs don't look at the forums."

She also said the TSB wasn't initiated (or something to that effect) so they couldn't perform it yet, but added she'd give all this information to the tech and call me back.

Things improved on the second phone call. They're going to perform the TSB and see if my vehicle reacts in the same way as a new CX-90 in their inventory for which the same procedure was performed. It should be noted here that while the TSB is a software update that involves the rear radar sensors, it isn't specifically to address the false positives but rather issues with pedestrian crosswalk alert. We'll see what happens and I'll update then.

Sorry for novel.

They performed the recall for the Pedestrian Alert Warning, but that was all they did since they claimed they couldn't replicate the false BSM alert. I found that difficult to believe as it happens to me every day, several times a day. When I picked up the vehicle today, I commented that I was sure I'd experience the issue as soon as I drove off the lot, and sure enough . . .

Five minute later as I got onto the freeway, a car began to merge into me; to avoid it, I hit the turn signal to change lanes and I got the chime and the indicators on the dash, mirror and HUD, so I hit the anchors . . . but there was no car in that lane of course.

I was #@%$ed, and swung back around to the dealership; it was suggested that perhaps a tech should do a ride-along, but my experience with these false alerts is they occur after the car sits for awhile, then stop until the car sits again. I just left the dealership, drove home, called the 800 number and got a case number. I'll call the dealership tomorrow and inform them; we'll see what happens.

Last edited:
They performed the recall for the Pedestrian Alert Warning, but that was all they did since they claimed they couldn't replicate the false BSM alert. I found that difficult to believe as it happens to me every day, several times a day. When I picked up the vehicle today, I commented that I was sure I'd experience the issue as soon as I drove off the lot, and sure enough . . .

Five minute later as I got onto the freeway, a car began to merge into me; to avoid it, I hit the turn signal to change lanes and I got the chime and the indicators on the dash, mirror and HUD, so I hit the anchors . . . but there was no car in that lane of course.

I was #@%$ed, and swung back around to the dealership; it was suggested that perhaps a tech should do a ride-along, but my experience with these false alerts is they occur after the car sits for awhile, then stop until the car sits again. I just left the dealership, drove home, called the 800 number and got a case number. I'll call the dealership tomorrow and inform them; we'll see what happens.
Quick question, Do you use the auto brake hold feature when you’re driving the car?

Has it gone off since?
No it has not and I have not used the brake hold feature, I’m too old school with me preferring my foot on the brake pedal.
The car’s software is finicky, I had a low tire pressure alert the other day and my mirrors would not unfold automatically and the parking brake would not automatically release when I put the car in reverse. Cleared the alert by filling the tire back up to normal and everything went back to business as usual.
A couple of months ago I had to do a factory reset on the menu item/list that has the over speed limit alert to get the car from alerting me on speeding even though I unchecked that feature in the menu screen. It would not cancel even when it was obviously unchecked after multiple attempts. Factory reset solved the issue right away. I thought it would be a nice feature but it was picking up the 5mph speed limit of my multi family complex even though I was on a 25mph surface road behind my building or sometimes when crossing a bridge that had a slower speed limit on the road underneath.
But overall I have been very happy with the car and driving it is so much fun.

I am satisfied with the vehicle overall but the false positives every day are extremely annoying. I plan to take a video of the alerts and the environment to show the tech. Again, we'll see what happens.

I'm not sure if anyone got the recall for the BSM false warnings but here it is. It isn't a TSB, they made it into a recall. Thanks to my husband for getting this started. He contacted the NHTSA and they got on Mazda to get this fixed. I attached what we got from the dealership on this. So supposedly this for all the 17,000 CX-90's that is on this recall. Got this done on Friday, 🤞🤞🤞 so far so good!

20230819_190447.jpg

I'm not sure if anyone got the recall for the BSM false warnings but here it is. It isn't a TSB, they made it into a recall. Thanks to my husband for getting this started. He contacted the NHTSA and they got on Mazda to get this fixed. I attached what we got from the dealership on this. So supposedly this for all the 17,000 CX-90's that is on this recall. Got this done on Friday, 🤞🤞🤞 so far so good!
View attachment 321645
Yeah, that's not for the false BSM alerts, it's to correct the AVAS pedestrian alert. It didn't do a darn thing for my false alerts.

Yeah, that's not for the false BSM alerts, it's to correct the AVAS pedestrian alert. It didn't do a darn thing for my false alerts.
It should of. I would make sure it is the number 6123H and the NHTSA number starts 23V-XXX. I hope they made a mistake and need to redo it to the right recall #. Let me know what happens.

It should of. I would make sure it is the number 6123H and the NHTSA number starts 23V-XXX. I hope they made a mistake and need to redo it to the right recall #. Let me know what happens.
Looking at my work order, it reads Campaign 6123H; Update to AVAS IBS Amplifier per MGSS recall repair procedure. As I said previously, it didn't do a darn thing to obviate the false alerts, as one occurred five minutes after I drove the vehicle off the lot.

Last edited:
So I wanted to post a quick update. I was finally able to get my 90 in to have both BSM sensor modules replaced last week. I wanted to give it some time before I relay updates, but thus far, it appears that my false positive issues are gone.
Knock on wood that it stays that way and isnt just occurring due to systems being reset after the install, but I had some concerns that this wouldnt fix the issue after reading that somebody else had both of their sensors replaced and it didnt change anything. So for those with the problems, you are probably going to want to take it in for the issues. Its best to take videos of the problems occurring in case they have trouble "recreating" the problem.....

So I wanted to post a quick update. I was finally able to get my 90 in to have both BSM sensor modules replaced last week. I wanted to give it some time before I relay updates, but thus far, it appears that my false positive issues are gone.
Knock on wood that it stays that way and isnt just occurring due to systems being reset after the install, but I had some concerns that this wouldnt fix the issue after reading that somebody else had both of their sensors replaced and it didnt change anything. So for those with the problems, you are probably going to want to take it in for the issues. Its best to take videos of the problems occurring in case they have trouble "recreating" the problem.....
Hope it solves the problem.

Got a call from Mazda customer service regarding my case number and was informed that Mazda is aware of the false BSM alerts and is working on a fix; she said she'll let me know when it's ready, so I'm going to hope for a timely resolution. I would advise all those experiencing this issue to call Mazda (1-800-222-5500) and start a case for themselves.

Got a call from Mazda customer service regarding my case number and was informed that Mazda is aware of the false BSM alerts and is working on a fix; she said she'll let me know when it's ready, so I'm going to hope for a timely resolution. I would advise all those experiencing this issue to call Mazda (1-800-222-5500) and start a case for themselves.
We have called them over 20 times about this. We got the recall done, thought that would help, well I guess not. My husband just told me the alert went off in the driveway without the keys in it...eeerrr. he is on the phone right now with Mazda. We even called the dealership but of course the service was too busy to talk.

Back