2017~2024 CX-5 Parts Inflation

:
2019 CX5 Reserve AWD
Had new rear brakes on my 2016 in August and the total was $204.00. Will need rear brakes soon on my 2019 and the price is now $380.00 at the same place.
Pads alone are $250.00 with $130.00 going to labor.

$250 for pads alone. Must be the one's dipped in gold. Rear pads are smaller and generally slightly cheaper. Either way that's obscene pricing for pads. Labor reasonable.
ETA. When I did my rear brakes last year I believe I paid about ~$25 for the pads which were Raybestos Element 3 EHT that I bought online. The better grade (not MV) Mazda OEM pads were about $75 from online Mazda dealer.

Last edited:
every non dealer shop can do brakes. just let them know the ebrake procedure.
Mazda brakes are not different than any other car. Its not some exotic. 400$ for rear brakes is absurd.

Had new rear brakes on my 2016 in August and the total was $204.00. Will need rear brakes soon on my 2019 and the price is now $380.00 at the same place.
Pads alone are $250.00 with $130.00 going to labor.
Parts inflation? I believe it’s more on overall dealer price inflation or just a major inflation on almost everything!

A Toyoya dealer asked $155 on parts and $420 on labor for a simple rear quarter fixed window replacement for my daughter’s 2022 Corolla Hatchback. That piece of OEM glass on rear door is only $50 MSRP, and the labor hours charged for the job is outrageous too!

Yes the price on many Mazda parts have gone up drastically in recent days. The OEM battery now is $199.99 used to be $139.99. The Mazda 0W-20 moly oil now is $11.15 per quart used to be $7. The OEM rear brake pads, p/n: KAY0-26-48ZA, now is $80.78 MSRP used to be ~$50.

The price on aftermarket parts isn’t much better. Interstate Group 35 battery sold at Costco now is $119.99 without normal replacement warranty and it used to be $78.99 with 36 month replacement warranty.

Inflation is not just on parts, it’s everywhere with largest increase I’ve never seen!

Last edited:
Parts inflation? I believe it’s more on overall dealer price inflation or just a major inflation on almost everything!

A Toyoya dealer asked $155 on parts and $420 on labor for a simple rear quarter fixed window replacement for my daughter’s 2022 Corolla Hatchback. That piece of OEM glass on rear door is only $50 MSRP, and the labor hours charged for the job is outrageous too!

Yes the price on many Mazda parts have gone up drastically in recent days. The OEM battery now is $199.99 used to be $139.99. The Mazda 0W-20 moly oil now is $11.15 per quart used to be $7. The OEM rear brake pads, p/n: KAY0-26-48ZA, now is $80.78 MSRP used to be ~$50.

The price on aftermarket parts isn’t much better. Interstate Group 35 battery sold at Costco now is $119.99 without normal replacement warranty and it used to be $78.99 with 36 month replacement warranty.

Inflation is not just on parts, it’s everywhere with largest increase I’ve never seen!
and most dealers have a labor rate close to $200/hr now

For me I don't mind the labor cost as long as the mechanic is competent and respectful. I started diy after my dip stick went missing with a damn oil change at the dealer with "certified factory trained" tech.

Brake pads should cost from $120 to $150 in USA.
1699048223295.png

$740 for brakes at the dealer? Ah, a hard pass.
Had a dealer quote for rear brakes on my 6, back in 2019: $625.00 (Cdn). Outrageous back then.
I bought rear rotors and pads for a fraction of that amount (don't remember the exact price anymore, sorry). Changed them myself this spring, and yes, I went into maintenance mode first.
As for front pads, I just replaced the fronts a few months ago with Bosch blue BE1711H pads from Amazon.
They were $75 Cdn.

wow..Mazda is becoming the new Mercedes :)
No Sheite ! I am DIY - They are starting to gouge Mazda drivers and its pathetic - Mazdas are not Lexus but they wanted that image-- I said in another post that I hoped Mazda would not forget about the people who have been supporting them -- but the dealers seem to be the issue

I can’t really do anything about warranty work and let that play out but I simply have little trust in paid out of pocket mechanic work these days. I don’t enjoy wrenching on my vehicles but want to know there was some attention to detail in the work done. I figure at this point I’ve paid for at least one vehicle doing most of my maintenance and repairs. These days almost any repair has a write up or video if you aren’t sure what to do. I’ve had plenty of shoddy paid work done for me in years past.

I can’t really do anything about warranty work and let that play out but I simply have little trust in paid out of pocket mechanic work these days. I don’t enjoy wrenching on my vehicles but want to know there was some attention to detail in the work done. I figure at this point I’ve paid for at least one vehicle doing most of my maintenance and repairs. These days almost any repair has a write up or video if you aren’t sure what to do. I’ve had plenty of shoddy paid work done for me in years past.
Yes - well my dealership experiences have been zero until about a year ago ( CX-5 purchase ) as my pervious dealer knew me and I knew all the techs etc -- It was a great thing to have a good trusting relationship with a dealers service dept. They always showed me the old parts , showed me how to save money and actually gave a s--t. We moved and needed to go to a new dealer because the last Car I purchased from Mazda was 2010 and that car is still in the fleet - Love it , But the CX-5 is like driving a BMW - you pull in and they already want $145 for the cabin air filter -- I mean --I wont even let them rotate my tires as I dont trust they will torque them to my request of 92 ft-lbs on each lug nut . As I already tried -- each was different -- so enuf said -- If you want it done right - do it yourself -

No Sheite ! I am DIY - They are starting to gouge Mazda drivers and its pathetic - Mazdas are not Lexus but they wanted that image-- I said in another post that I hoped Mazda would not forget about the people who have been supporting them -- but the dealers seem to be the issue
the crazy inflation of the last few years was going to get priced in eventually. it's all shops, not just Mazda

Back