CX-5 or the Outlander Sport?

I agree a bad dealer experience can really sour things. It almost did for me, but then I realized that once I was done with the dealer I could take it anywhere after that and I didn't have to deal with them anymore. I've been able to separate my dealer experience with the vehicle itself and it's made all the difference. In the end, it's only me (or you) that suffers.

Perhaps try separating your feelings for the dealer from the CX-5 itself and give it another go. If you really can't stand it, I'm sure you could sell your CX-5 for top dollar given how in demand they are now. But I'd give it a fresh start first if you can. Just my 2 cents.

Both should be quicker than CX-5 but neither will match fuel efficiency of CX-5. Not sure of 1st year quality with these, based on Ford's well-documented record with the all new 2011 Ford Explorer.

Thought the 1.6L got 33mpg hwy? That beats all except CX-5 manual. I could be mistaken.

The ecoboost engine is the highest selling engine in their F-Series trucks and that's what these are.

You're right about the Explorers tho i have read about their troubles.

hmm....

Thought the 1.6L got 33mpg hwy? That beats all except CX-5 manual. I could be mistaken.

The ecoboost engine is the highest selling engine in their F-Series trucks and that's what these are.

You're right about the Explorers tho i have read about their troubles.

hmm....

The 33 highway mpg for front wheel drive 1.6L is not official although I think they will hit that highway number (only the 1.6L AWD stats are out and they are lower than CX-5 AWD) and most likely the city and combined ratings will officially be lower than equivalent CX-5.

The truck V6 engines have almost no similarity to Escape 4's, except they are turbo-charged too.

Last edited:
These are the official numbers for the Escape 13':
2.5 FWD: 31/22
1.6 FWD: 33/23
1.6L AWD: 30/22
2.0L FWD: 30/22
2.0L AWD: 28/21

http://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/bymake/Ford2013.shtml

The problem is their excessive price, especially for AWD. Also, I would not trust the EPA rating too much with this EcoBoost, good chance you will get the lower end of the range.

It seems that the dealer experience was the main cause, among other things. I would have refused to pick up the car is that happened.

It's funny you mention some quality issues when one of the cars you owned and "kinda miss" (Element) also had a lot of poor ownership experiences due to cheapness. While Honda reliability is top notch, no doubt, I have found them to become really cheap over the past decade or so. My family has had 2 Accords (2004 & 2008) that were not nearly as well put together as the first two they owned (1991 & 1995). Too many squeaks, misaligned components and down right poor leather. But, hey...no car is perfect!

I hope your ownership experience gets better.

Thanks for helping me spend my money - I decided to go with the CX-5 for a few reasons. With further research, I found there are a lot of unhappy Outlander Sport owners (although with the CX-5 being so new, there may be a lot of unhappy CX-5 owners in the next year or two...who knows) over getting much lower MPGs than expected. Also, those uncomfortable seats in the Outlander Sport are another big one. I know everyone hates on the CVT but with my short jaunt up the street and back I really didn't think it was all that bad. I'm sure with more time and maybe some freeway action I'd probably grow to hate if like many other do (or at least I'm telling myself that to further justify spending more on the CX-5 (thought) Now it's just a matter of trying to shave a few bucks on the sticker. This dealer near me has the one I want and I know they're pretty much selling at sticker but I'm going to shoot for $500 off MSRP but I'll be stoked if I can get $300 off. Wish me luck!

How far south are you in SoCal. The dealer I used was awesome and quick AND I got my touring with tech/bose pkg at invoice (they matched the USAA price from another dealer, I had to show documentation from the other dealer). Costco members pay 300-400 over invoice too if you're a member.

Any reason to doubt the EPA ratings with EcoBoost Escapes?

For the Ford Edge, the actual MPG people are getting is closer to the lower end of the range. However, I must admit it seems the Focus, Fiesta and Taurus all get what you'd expect. I may have generalized a bit.

My 2002 CR-V (1st year of the Gen 2) had a number of issues that I had to go to the dealer within 2 months. The car has also gone through 4-5 recalls. In general it's a reliable car and the best small SUV at that time. Buying a first year car always has some risks, doesn't matter which manufacturer.

I don't like the new CR-V because of its look (rear is terrible, hunch back), the tight space for my right knee, the 5-sp auto that you can't shift on your own, and the lack of a 40-20-40 split rear seat that was available in the last generation.

Ford seems to make good progress but I just don't trust the brand quite yet with their new powertrains.

It's funny you mention some quality issues when one of the cars you owned and "kinda miss" (Element) also had a lot of poor ownership experiences due to cheapness.

Is this from personal experience? I owned the Element for 3 years and never had any problems or complaints with it. I traded it in for the Honda Fit just because I wanted better mpg's and a cheaper payment.

Got promoted two years after owning the Fit and decided I could afford something a bit bigger thus I started shopping for small suv's or cuv's.

It was a toss up between the CR-V and the CX-5 for me.

Still not convinced I made the right decision but we'll see if this pos will grow on me or not...

Going to be blunt here. I have 20 years dealing with car dealers and sometimes their customers, and get to see good/bad on both sides, so this kinda stuck a nerve. Yes, the dealers are guilty of some evil, blah blah. But in my experience, when there is some after the sale issue, it's usually the customer trying to get over on the dealer, or just being completely unreasonable. You wouldn't believe how often a customer will claim the dealer scratched their car when having an oil change or even a car wash.

Anyway, it's obvious that your issue is with the dealer, not the car. So I think you are looking at any possible nitpicky excuse to hate on the car. So that has to be separated from the vehicle. I mean, come on. It's hard not to laugh, seriously. Here's the list of what makes the CX5 a "pos" as you say: Piece of protective sticky film left on the rims. Somebody scratched the paint. Not enough washer fluid. Too much air in tires. Doesn't have your first choice of plastic on door panel. Dash plastic planel can be flexed? (I haven't noticed this... how hard do you push the button?!)

The shaky mirror and maybe the seat clips are the only things on your rant list that is much of a real complaint, and both minor issues apparently have already been addressed by Mazda. I've seen the hood flex too, but only when passing a truck on a two lane, or in horrible windy conditions on the interstate when a gust about knocks you off the road. It's not a BIG thing, just a curious quirk. I noticed it the first day I drove mine, but didn't notice it on our 3500 mile trip unless you really look for it. Mazda special easy scratch paint? Come on now. If a moonroof is a must-have, then buy one that has it. This doesn't make a car a pos, has nothing to do with mazda vs honda, and certainly doesn't belong on a rant list of "issues"...... for any vehicle. Maybe there will be some more serious flaws show up in the cx5, and no doubt that someone will end up with a lemon.... but the list of concerns here is no reason to slap a "POS" label on anything.

Can't imagine wanting to go back to a Fit, even if the CX5 had 10x the list of issues. Look past the very minor concerns for a minute and maybe you will actually like the Mazda, even with it's horribly underfilled washer fluid reservoir and 10% over inflated tires.

^ some good points. Just ask some first owners of new 2011 Explorer buyers what real issues are about. Agreed the Fit is perfect, for the blind.

Going to be blunt here. I have 20 years dealing with car dealers and sometimes their customers, and get to see good/bad on both sides, so this kinda stuck a nerve. Yes, the dealers are guilty of some evil, blah blah. But in my experience, when there is some after the sale issue, it's usually the customer trying to get over on the dealer, or just being completely unreasonable. You wouldn't believe how often a customer will claim the dealer scratched their car when having an oil change or even a car wash.

Anyway, it's obvious that your issue is with the dealer, not the car. So I think you are looking at any possible nitpicky excuse to hate on the car. So that has to be separated from the vehicle. I mean, come on. It's hard not to laugh, seriously. Here's the list of what makes the CX5 a "pos" as you say: Piece of protective sticky film left on the rims. Somebody scratched the paint. Not enough washer fluid. Too much air in tires. Doesn't have your first choice of plastic on door panel. Dash plastic planel can be flexed? (I haven't noticed this... how hard do you push the button?!)

The shaky mirror and maybe the seat clips are the only things on your rant list that is much of a real complaint, and both minor issues apparently have already been addressed by Mazda. I've seen the hood flex too, but only when passing a truck on a two lane, or in horrible windy conditions on the interstate when a gust about knocks you off the road. It's not a BIG thing, just a curious quirk. I noticed it the first day I drove mine, but didn't notice it on our 3500 mile trip unless you really look for it. Mazda special easy scratch paint? Come on now. If a moonroof is a must-have, then buy one that has it. This doesn't make a car a pos, has nothing to do with mazda vs honda, and certainly doesn't belong on a rant list of "issues"...... for any vehicle. Maybe there will be some more serious flaws show up in the cx5, and no doubt that someone will end up with a lemon.... but the list of concerns here is no reason to slap a "POS" label on anything.

Can't imagine wanting to go back to a Fit, even if the CX5 had 10x the list of issues. Look past the very minor concerns for a minute and maybe you will actually like the Mazda, even with it's horribly underfilled washer fluid reservoir and 10% over inflated tires.

Thanks for making me laugh so hard that I almost fell on the floor. (lol) Sorry mr.fusion but you'd have to admit he makes a good point. I test drove a Honda fit just to see what it would be like and it was an impressive vehicle for a small car but it didn't fit me and my needs.

Last edited:
Just wanted to add to Honda's great record here. I think in the 80s and 90s they did well but my daughter bought a 2002 Civic LX Manual that was not so good. At 45,000 had to replace the front ball joints, if you press on the gas it went left if you press on the brake it went right so the right front wheel was moving around, the dealer also wanted to replace the motor supports?. Then the brake light came on intermittenly but nothing was wong, then the shift linkage got stiff and required real pressure for third gear, WD40 helped a little. Next, the entire instrument pannel would quit intermitenly, (luckly it was working when I took it to sell at Carmax). Then there was the starter that would not turn over any more. One day it just stopped on the highway?, after a while it started and they drove home. Oil leaked down the front of the motor, after the dealer replaced the valve cover & gasket and some other stuff ($1000) or so, I found a plastic plug on the end of the camshaft that had a dried out O ring ($10) part that I changed with a screwdriver and stopped the oil leak. This was all before 90,000 miles. The engine was solid however and always pulled well when it ran. When she had our grandaughter I bought her a Mazda 3 Skyactiv GT, (I had had three Miata's and only had one ignition part fail). In doing that search I found the CX-5 for my wife. I don't know the official definition of POS but this Civic came close... I have known several frends with Acords in the 2000s to blow the auto transimissions around 90,000...

I hope I didn't offend anyone too much. I was still on my first cup of coffee so maybe was cranky? LOL

I suspect nearly everything on Earth can be irritating in some way, if you want it to be. I think it's better to focus on the more fundamental things of a vehicle, and the overall daily driving experience... rather than fret over every detail that isn't what I would like.

I won't pile on Honda cause I haven't owned one myself. Civic Si is the only Honda I've ever been interested in actually, except for my pressure washer and lawn mower. They make a fantastic small engine... perhaps the best money can buy. Their 2000w generators are legendary.

Last edited:
I hope I didn't offend anyone too much. I was still on my first cup of coffee so maybe was cranky? LOL

I suspect nearly everything on Earth can be irritating in some way, if you want it to be. I think it's better to focus on the more fundamental things of a vehicle, and the overall daily driving experience... rather than fret over every detail that isn't what I would like.

I won't pile on Honda cause I haven't owned one myself. Civic Si is the only Honda I've ever been interested in actually, except for my pressure washer and lawn mower. They make a fantastic small engine... perhaps the best money can buy. Their 2000w generators are legendary.

Certainly didnt offend me. I totally agree with you 100 percent.

Nobody is offended I hope, even if the subject on this thread was who knows what....

Back