2024 CX-5 Seat change?

I tried CX Sport turbo in 2023 and liked it but the craziness made it near impossible to buy. Now, all dealers have a ton and are all pushing the signature. I tried one and the seat was awful. Hard as a rock. Weird shape. Did something change? I couldnt get comfortable. Also the Sport Design red stiching is now pink?

Mazda supposedly changed the seat in 22 to make it more comfortable. Looks identical though. No changes to the seats between 23 and 24.

Mazda supposedly changed the seat in 22 to make it more comfortable. Looks identical though. No changes to the seats between 23 and 24.
I read where Mazda stated that changes were made to the seats for the '22 models but I can't discern any differences between our '22 Signature and our previous '20 GT. The stuff I found from Mazda was pretty vague, something about the frames maybe? :unsure:

everyone has a different rear end but I find the seats in my 2023 cx5 turbo really comfortable as does my wife. we have done plenty of 800 mile days in it.

I started experiencing some sagging lately after 12.000 miles and seat discomfort on my 2022 Turbo.

Started looking at the seat bottom and found something interesting with my 2022 seats.
The cross support beams connections below the seat cushion foam are not using the usual "straps" but Mazda used freaking zip ties which were not even tight enough. Its crazy.

Can somebody with 2023 check theirs? its tough to see it because of tight space..its seen from the bottom with good light and some poking between the cables.

May because of shortages or whatever the seat vendor did. So the seat foam bottom support flexes more than expected (uneven) if those zip ties are not tight enough. It puts your position out of wack for certain people body types.

I did check my 2018 and they dont use zip ties but use the usual "strap holders" as in the picture below.
Also the support perpendicular thin metal bars are at different places on my 2022. dont know why. But may be thats ok.

here is how it supposed to be. the white parts (plastic straps). Tried to put arrow to some.
IMG_5398.jpeg

Last edited:
Thank you very much for checking.
So that explains the issues with mine. Funny thing it was good till now.

thats what I got which is not right. Its a long post :) So much for japanese quality control.

And this is the reason the seat cushion sagging on the left over time and then getting seat discomfort hitting the left bolster more vs having a more balanced/level position on the cushion.

IMG_5410.jpeg

IMG_5408.jpeg

upong digging further its interesting to see that the ventilated cushion is totally different than the only heated ones. For those curious ventilated cushion has handful of larger holes in the structure for the exhaust fan tubes which probably makes it less resilient over time.
The side bolsters are not that hard but they just cant compress when put on the seat frame because of the seat frame design.

This is where Mazda failed in my opinion. In the metal frame design. Its not designed like Toyota or other brands seat frames more "open". May be Mazda went this way for rigidity or thats their design from the past and they just re-use it on CX5 until the model gets phased away. Who knows.

The the original poster - My research shows that the seats and cushions are the same for 2019- 2024. The seat cushion on 2017-2018 is a bit different. But after 2019 its all the same stuff. Just 3 diff cushion types depending on the car Trim.
2017 and 2018 have different problems with sagging of the leather.

Seat foam is made by Gentherm - an American company.
Ventilated
IMG_5413.jpeg

Last edited:
The the original poster - My research shows that the seats and cushions are the same for 2019- 2024. The seat cushion on 2017-2018 is a bit different. But after 2019 its all the same stuff. Just 3 diff cushion types depending on the car Trim.
If this is true, Mazda fibbed about seat changes when the 22 came out. From Mazda's press release for the 2022 model:
"Furthering Mazda's human-centric philosophy, the seats are redesigned to help provide the driver and the vehicle's occupants with greater stability to help create a natural and comfortable experience."

In your case I don't understand what difference the zip ties make. Have some broken on your car? I wouldn't think there would be any difference in how the seats wear based on using zip ties vs straps. In any case - if you are still under warranty, why not try to get your seats fixed by Mazda? Maybe they would swap your seat cushions if you presented this info?

Thank you for the feedback and suggestion.

I have 2022 and 2018 and have dissected both seats and I can tell you that is pure marketing from Mazda. The main construction is the same. May be they changed the rigidity of the metal. Its all marketing and proper "wording". Notice how they never say what exactly is changed.

I have fixed the seats with the right clips. The purpose of the cross section is to keep all zig zag springs from bottoming out. If you bottom out you start hitting the bolster more because the seat is too narrow by design. Certain body types will have issues, others never.

I am posting so much details if it may help other people in future. There was a large thread where people were complaining of the issues but cant find it.

Last edited:
Indeed it is.
All the new platforms like cx30 and cx50 have much different seat frames and seat designs.

A few companies make seats for all the car companies, so I wonder how limited they are in making real substantive changes.

I dont know. Its probably expense to change design for an existing model. Plus multiple by 200,000+ units each year.
cx30 and cx50 got new design (not just seats) because they were new models and new platform. Everything CX5 gen2 is designed 8 years ago with some changes and tweaks here and there. But nothing new or special. A lot in the platform is even older and it starts to show. Same was for the old 3, 6 and cx9 and those got retired.

Back