CX-5 Lowering Springs

(iagree)
Corksport, how about making 2 sets of springs?
One can be an aggressive package with the drop mentioned in the first post (and can be an excuse to sell other suspension mods)
The second can be half that drop for people who still need to drive in the winter or are concerned about strut life.

Eibach does this often and calls one the Pro-kit (less aggressive drop, stock struts) and the Sport-line (lower drop with a suggestion of aftermarket struts)

H & R and Neuspeed (although they only do VW/Audi, Mini, and Honda parts) also have at least 2 choices. H & R has a "Touring" (1.2-1.4" drop) and a "Sport" (1.5-2" drop) spring as well as their Cup Kits which pair the springs with shocks and struts specifically valves and with shortened case lengths.

I love the look shown but would have a bit of concern (since New England/NYC metro roads are a far cry from Vancouver's) over ride quality and accelerated wear on the dampers. On the other hand, I've been driving/tuning VWs for a couple of decades and had a Tiguan with good aftermarket springs, and like many others found that the stock dampers hold up well (at least to 45-50k miles) with a drop below 1.7-1.8". Upon inspection though, they're much beefier than what VW uses on the Passat/Jetta, which the current Tiguan is based on. Maybe the CX-5 units will be fine for most people.

The extreme drop, for me, looks great as I like the idea of staying with the Sport manual's 17" wheel for ride quality as well as keeping the unsprung weight down. Unfortunately Mazda chose a tire size (as well as specifying that awful Geolander tire) that is on the heavy side for anything performance oriented.

I'm also interested in the effect on gas consumption. My Tiguan significantly benefited from lowering on the highway, not only from a handling perspective, but gained roughly 2-3 mpg at 65+; with a tuned ecu I saw 33mpg frequently on a car rated at 26 highway. Although there are a bunch of reasons I'm going with the CX-5 other than gas consumption, I think lowering combined with a free-flowing exhaust and quality air filter (I like BMC, although they're expensive and hard to get in the US) the CX-5 could get close to 40mpg on the highway.

Last edited:
Thanks for the early report, certainly worth experimenting. Given the stockish spring rates, concerns about reduced wheel travel dealing with larger bumps are more of a concern than snow clearance.

Same here, I live in Florida, and the roads here are flatter than Keira Knightley on the atkins diet.
I'm concerned about speed bumps, potholes, and driveways more often than anything else. So as long as the ride remains smooth and it can absorb the occasional bump without bottoming out I'll still be interested. I would be pairing these springs with 18" aftermarket wheels and I think that combo would be ideal for me.

EDIT: forgot to say, lowered crossovers definitely get an edge with MPG. I got better highway figures on my Matrix after I dropped it 2 inches on Eibach Sportline springs.

Looks badass. But I feel like it reduces the "utility" and function of this particular vehicle.

I suppose a CX-5 that only sees well paved city streets and never any long road trips down unfamiliar roads, would be suited nicely with these springs.

Also, this looks like it would be putting the shocks at the top of their stroke, limiting most of their travel. Surely a drop this severe will lessen the life of the OE shocks.

Thanks for the pic. Agree with others here. I'm in middle of country, so a medium drop is ideal here. I have same 17" wheels on Violet. I'll be getting the H&R type drop for mine. 2" max is going to help cornering (and maybe highway mpg?) without downsides... I'm dropping for handling first, appearance second. (Sorry 'Dub guys n gals').Also, I would only get newer LIGHTER wheels, for the same reason, in a 155hp vehicle. Example: My 06 MX5 was 167 hp and weighed 700+ lbs less!
small car, BIG fun :)

wow that is heinous.

Im all about cutting down on the fender gap, but a drop that big makes you look like an idiot street racer flat brimmed hat kid.

cut the drop in half to 1.5 / 2.0 and you may have a winner.

I think all the negativity has scared away corksport's rep(s) (uhm)
Brydon, Gwynne, I still want lowering springs! Please don't abandon us!

Yes, I understand the concern, but useful information, product data, feedback, technical knowledge has been light at best...

We have the H&R Springs already available in the catalog, but to be honest, they are not a big seller, which means there is not likely a high enough demand for this part to support going further down the development path. http://www.corksport.com/h-and-r-springs-for-cx5.html

If we start to see that trend changing, we will re-evaluate, but at this time, we have put the project on hold. Sorry :(

Yes, I understand the concern, but useful information, product data, feedback, technical knowledge has been light at best...

There is nothing to share. We wanted to gauge interest before pursuing this untested market and there doesn't seem to be quite enough enthusiasm to warrant further development.

We have the H&R Springs already available in the catalog, but to be honest, they are not a big seller, which means there is not likely a high enough demand for this part to support going further down the development path. http://www.corksport.com/h-and-r-springs-for-cx5.html

If we start to see that trend changing, we will re-evaluate, but at this time, we have put the project on hold. Sorry :(

There is nothing to share. We wanted to gauge interest before pursuing this untested market and there doesn't seem to be quite enough enthusiasm to warrant further development.

Those springs are designed for the heavier AWD model. In my opinion, your target customer buys the sport, fwd, with a manual transmission. They are more likely the "enthusiast" and are more likely to buy lowering springs than the average fellow.
Because they're not intended for the lighter FWD model is the reason i myself haven't plunked down the money for em. I'd rather wait for someone to design them from the ground up for the 2wd model.

I think you need to re-evaluate. The hype for this vehicle is now. The CX-5 is gonna do well for Mazda and once it's found it has sporting intentions and utility combined with great mpg's they gonna sell and the enthusiast public will get they're hands on them and start modifying them. You could either lead this development or get left behind Tein, and Eibach and AEM and all those big budget company's that are gonna make some simple bolt on parts for it.

Actually, you've generated quite the interest. Maybe you just didn't get the answers you wanted. I agree with the popular consensus. The drop is to much. How much negative camber was gained with that much drop? What of the angles of the axle's? What about rubbing problems with people who are definitely gonna run wider and bigger wheel/tire setups?

Its not a hot hatch or a sport coupe, its a little CUV. People are just gonna want a better stance without much sacrifice. That requires a modest drop. Make a spring that doesn't kill the ride quality and reduces the unsightly wheel gap from awful to acceptable and you got yourself a seller. Get a cold air intake going with a catback in your catalog and bam, you've cornered the the usdm market for the CX-5.

I myself am very interested in lowering springs. In fact, if they were on the market i guarantee i'd have em sitting in my living room while i await delivery of my sport manual.

Last edited:
We would need more interest to move forward with development. If we got 25 people that were willing to put down a deposit for the springs, then there would be enough support for us to develop. If you would like to start a list and we can see enough support on this thread, we are happy to develop the part, we just can't develop a part that is not going to sell well for us.

On a side note, we got word from H&R on Friday that their lowering springs fit both the AWD and FWD models, http://www.corksport.com/h-and-r-springs-for-cx5.html

shut-up-and-take-my-money.jpeg

hehe, I mean to say, lets get this started:
1. JcanRacer

What's wrong with the H&R springs? Has anybody reviewed the springs yet?

User Sandrock claims he ordered a set of H&Rs, but obviously not from corksport because he claims they're on backorder. I wanted to see before and after pics from his install.

Personally, I want a drop that is between the H&R and Corksport's first experimental set.
H&R = 1.25" F 1.75" R
CS gen1 = 3" F, 4" R

So what I am looking for is 2" lower in Front and maybe 2.5" lower in Rear? I think this will have mass appeal without going as extreme as their first attempt, and without being as conservative as the H&Rs.

User Sandrock claims he ordered a set of H&Rs, but obviously not from corksport because he claims they're on backorder. I wanted to see before and after pics from his install.

Personally, I want a drop that is between the H&R and Corksport's first experimental set.
H&R = 1.25" F 1.75" R
CS gen1 = 3" F, 4" R

So what I am looking for is 2" lower in Front and maybe 2.5" lower in Rear? I think this will have mass appeal without going as extreme as their first attempt, and without being as conservative as the H&Rs.

We would want to achieve a look that would have the broadest appeal so if the consensus was 2" front and 2.5" rear, that is what we would develop.

Latest posts

Back