Cx-5 2017 ac

As I've said before, there is enough warning notice to not worry about it aka red light comes on, pull over straight away

I would rely on the light anyway as I rarely have the temp gauge showing. The only time I hear of overheating these days is when the coolant is lost.

So I ran a test. Plugged in my OBDII and went for a drive with the service screen and temp gauge selected.

Once OBDII was reading 190 the temp gauge on the dash had reached the middle which is labeled as 210.

The OBDII was at 190 for several miles of driving at 45 mph at about 95 ambient.

Once we encountered traffic it rose a bit to 195. Then once at a light it came up to 197 briefly then dropped back down to 195. Stayed there until we got to open road again and dropped to 192. Once we reached our destination it was at 194.

This entire time the dash gauge didnt budge after reaching 210.

Empirical evidence based on observation of actual behavior.

I wouldnt call that gauge accurate. I think it indicates engine is cold, warming up, at operational range, or overheating. Not real time accurate readout.

Most new cars do that to keep average consumer worry free.
Our CX-5 does not have a temp gauge so I use OBDII from time to time to check the temp because I'm weird like that.

Back to the original question before all this got out of hand: The AC on my CX-5 might not be freezing cold in some situations but it is definitely comfortable and fast enough. The high humidity here in Panama pays a huge deal on this, removing all that humidity from the cabin is a hard task.

I feel like I’ve offered proof that it does artificially go to the middle at a temperature labeled that doesn’t correlate to actual readings.

Do you have any counter evidence either documentation that it’s supposed to be an accurate real time readout or evidence from observation?

My opinion here is that the cooling system while it’s great and all can’t just instantly react and hold the temp precisely. And honestly that isn’t even necessary. It’s quite normal to fluctuate within a safe range. They just don’t show this to the end consumers as it’s 1 not necessary and 2 just tends to lead to people worrying because it went up a bit when they climbed that hill or whatever and complain when it’s all perfectly normal and nothing is wrong.

And as others have said pretty much ALL modern cars do it and a lot don’t even bother with a gauge at all.

Just to be clear here, I’m not trying to prove you wrong but I’d now like to get to the bottom of it for my own interest. There are more and more pdf’s popping up and I’ve attached some of them. The first shows the output from the temp sender unit. It is completely capable of transmitting the full range to a variable temperature gauge. The next shows the gauge itself and is capable of showing a full range of 13 to 15 indexed readings. What I can’t say at this stage is how they are spaced but I’ve got a mate who is a whizz on electronics so rather than risk cooking my engine, we might be able to rig up a rheostat to run it up and see what happens.

View attachment 219448
View attachment 219449

The scenario I read was back in the very early 1990's about the then all new GM Holden Commodore. It was in the outback of Australia, 40 day, going at 110km/h and the motoring magazine tester/reviewer floored the GM Holden Commodore V6 to reach the max speed of 208km/h and then hold it there. The duration of time from memory was atleast a few minutes to reach maximum speed and then was held there for a few km. This was back in the day when there was no speed limits.

During this test, they noticed the air conditioning starting to blow hot air and not working as intended as power was being essentially diverted to maintain acceleration and velocity.

The above scenario in 99% of driving cases, will not be achieved by the average owner in normal day to day vehicle use. Even running short tests would more than likely not trigger it.

It should be noted exotica would probably not experience this scenario as they would be able to maintain air con temperature at high speeds and sustained acceleration.

"Do with it what you will"

X8, you may like this. I’ve found some info that suggests that there is indeed some suppression of the AC under acceleration. Not quite what we were discussing but the fact remains! So for the diesel, the AC is inhibited for the first 5 seconds of throttle over 60%. The gasoline is slightly different in that it is inhibited for the first 5 seconds from rest but not linked to hard acceleration. Like I said, not quite what we were discussing but interesting nevertheless.

View attachment 219450
View attachment 219451

What I’m seeing on OBDII is what’s coming from sending unit not saying that’s not accurate. Also it’s a digi gauge so they can show whatever they want. Even with analog they still control it electronically.

However on this and every other car I’ve owned over the past decade or maybe more the observed behavior is the gauge stays put once it gets to its normal position.

On the ST I observed as much as 50 in variation of actual temperature where the gauge didn’t change. Partly on the ST would go to the middle at like 165 and don’t recall an actual temp much over 212

It like the Mazda tended to stay around 195 in normal driving. Do some WOT pulls though and it would rise over 200 quickly but then the cooling system would keep it from rising much more.

The cooling system simply can’t react fast enough to only have +\- only a degree or two. The variation is perfectly normal.

The point is simply they hide this detail as it just drives unnecessary complaints to the dealers. And isn’t really necessary to have a real time accurate gauge on a family car.

Most people I know with ST’s GTI’s ect don’t use those gauges either. They usually have something running on OBDII giving them the data off the ECU in real time.

Such as
https://www.cobbtuning.com/products/accessports

TBH, the prospect of a gauge only interested me because I could monitor the extremely long warm up that you get from these Euro VI diesels in winter. For the rest of the year, I’m quite happy not even seeing what is mostly superfluous information. As long as I get warned if the temp goes up to damaging levels, I’m not interested in the rest. I can see how you would want to know in competitions because you want to cart as little fluid around without frying the engine. Its just now after discussing it, I would be interested in this behaviour to see how this thing chooches. My mate is coming tomorrow with a few test bits so providing we can get at the sensor (down by the pulleys on my diesel) we will have a fiddle. The signal goes straight into the PCM and the gauge comes straight out of it. He’s a bit concerned that it might rely on the engine running and trigger the fans and throw up warnings but we can see.

I get what you mean in winter. I think the gas/petrol 2.5 warms up reasonably quickly and provides plenty of heat. We had a really cold winter! But it’s not as quick as the VW or the Ford I had previously. However both of those have the exhaust manifold integrated into the head and in a water jacket. So they provide heat to the cabin VERY quickly and it’s not really a fair comparison.

Actually given how quickly I get at least like warm, not cold, air I kinda think ours might have the PTC heater but I couldn’t find any documentation on that.

X8, you may like this. I’ve found some info that suggests that there is indeed some suppression of the AC under acceleration. Not quite what we were discussing but the fact remains! So for the diesel, the AC is inhibited for the first 5 seconds of throttle over 60%. The gasoline is slightly different in that it is inhibited for the first 5 seconds from rest but not linked to hard acceleration. Like I said, not quite what we were discussing but interesting nevertheless.

View attachment 219450
View attachment 219451

(cheers2)

Basically in the past it did occur but as technology has improved, it now only occurs as described in the pdfs!

I feel it in ours every now and then. 5 seconds is probably short enough for that the coil remains cold enough for it to not be too noticeable in most cases.

The thing is typically when I notice it is shortly after passing or darting into a hole in traffic where I’m at or near WOT.

Last edited:
I feel it in ours every now and then. 5 seconds is probably short enough for that the coil remains cold enough for it to not be too noticeable in most cases.

The thing is typically when I notice it is shortly after passing or farting into a hole in traffic where I’m at or near WOT.

Hope that when you "farting into a hole in traffic", there's no white smoke coming out of your tailpipes!

(rofl)

Thanks, Anchorman, for once again providing us with the facts rather than unsubstantiated assertions/opinions/assumptions!

Most new cars do that to keep average consumer worry free.
Our CX-5 does not have a temp gauge so I use OBDII from time to time to check the temp because I'm weird like that.

Back to the original question before all this got out of hand: The AC on my CX-5 might not be freezing cold in some situations but it is definitely comfortable and fast enough. The high humidity here in Panama pays a huge deal on this, removing all that humidity from the cabin is a hard task.

People also should note that there's large glass area with the CX-5 so the air conditioning system IMHO does a great job considering!

And they don’t use the solar blocking glass like some auto makers do. This is probably a big factor.

And they don’t use the solar blocking glass like some auto makers do. This is probably a big factor.

Most manufacturers don't use it yet.

At least you guys get privacy glass on the rear passenger windows and tailgate which should help.

We don't so I had to get all my windows tinted except the sunroof (slide cover helps so no need) and front windscreen (illegal to tint here in Oz land)

No problems with our A/C in our area, where we can see 110+ degrees for weeks on end.

As far as for parking, the windshield reflector, and closing the moonroof shade is critical. Popping the moonroof up (if equipped) for vent mode, can help lower the parking temps as well.

I would pay Mazda big money to have them return to using the awesome automatic left-right oscillating center HVAC dash vents that they had back in the mid 80's, those were so nice.
(band2)

Last edited:
Back