Current DIY - 12V Sockets

Adding 12v sockets for the rear seats
998f0545c29855ae3bd12d7cd5ad1996.jpg
048d80e819ab1685c8f1e049b6708460.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Is that the back seat view of the center console?

Yeah... but big fail on my part... i didnt check for clearance

the 12v sockets stick too far out and is hitting the latch as i try to put the rear cover back on... it would of work had i made them lower... a local dealer told me the rear panel is not available as a stand alone order... id have to reorder the whole console... $200 part...

fml... haha

Last edited:
ouch, I guess you could always plug up the holes with rubber grommets or pipe caps.

Do you have any room? Is so, figure out how much they would have to stick out and get someone to 3D print some spacers. You could pick up a bit of room be cutting the lugs half way back and soldering to them.

Is this a 2016 model? Did you have to remove the whole center console unit? How did you go about doing that? I can't find much on the 2016

ouch, I guess you could always plug up the holes with rubber grommets or pipe caps.

yeah i ordered some grommets... going to plug one hole and then use a grommet and just hang some female usb extension cables... id rather not spend $200 to fix my mistake... that money could go towards an exhaust haha

Is this a 2016 model? Did you have to remove the whole center console unit? How did you go about doing that? I can't find much on the 2016

no didnt i didnt remove the whole center console... bought a fuse kit off amazon and extended the cable with more wire. https://www.amazon.com/dp/ (commissions earned)

I tucked the wire under the steering wheel followed through to the center console by just tucking it underneath the paneling. The back pops off pretty easy with some plastic tools. Just make sure to make the holes lower... i didnt provide enough clearance. my sockets hit the latch. if you decide to do it. just put the holes near the bottom of the panel.

I plan on trying to do this, but with the https://www.amazon.com/dp/ (commissions earned). I'll find room for it, or modify the inside of the console. Since there is a power outlet inside the console, I'll tap off that for power.

I think had I gone half inch lower i would of been fine. It would look funny on the outside in terms of hole placement.

I think you'll clear near the bottom. Good luck!

Thanks billabong687,

I plan on soldering leads to the terminals then cover with glue-lined heat shrink and putting a disconnect in the wires, or using flag terminal lugs instead of straight, to make the assy. a bit shorter.

no didnt i didnt remove the whole center console... bought a fuse kit off amazon and extended the cable with more wire. https://www.amazon.com/dp/ (commissions earned)

I tucked the wire under the steering wheel followed through to the center console by just tucking it underneath the paneling. The back pops off pretty easy with some plastic tools. Just make sure to make the holes lower... i didnt provide enough clearance. my sockets hit the latch. if you decide to do it. just put the holes near the bottom of the panel.

I actually have a couple projects I want to work on surrounding the center console. One of them is very similar to this, just installing an AC 110 outlet instead of the 12v one. I also have some cupholder accent lights to go with my footwells, I want to add a 12v to the front cubby of the center console too... I just need to remove/ take it apart to do those.

6104ae9e11c15036a4bb986b36beaf36.jpg

3021cead6acc48ac713c9f2349da0e44.jpg

d711d2c6e452c0f8fc5a93bc2feae992.jpg

Update: was able to cut some of the plastic on the latch to create more room. Still not closing all the way. I'll work on it more this weekend

How did this turn out? I'm curious since I want to do the same thing

Im sure it worked out fine for Billabong, as I had done a project that involved similar modifications. If you have dremel you would make quick work of it. Just make sure you don't remove anymore than whats in the pic, as the remaining plastic is important for the latch mechanism. (the red outlines what has been removed for my project)
a5agx0.jpg
xeo8hu.jpg

Measure twice, cut once!

Last edited:
Jaged, that looks awesome, looks better then factory.
More info please.

Thanks timbimakai!

I wanted to make it a little more confortable for the rear passengers, so I added rear vents and heated seats (thats what the buttons are for above the vents.)

The aftermarket heated seats are fairly inexpensive ($40/pair) and can be source easily online. The vents are from a VW GTI mk6 in which the chrome accents matched the CX-5 very well giving it an oem look. I tapped into the ducts under the front seats for the air supply, however the airflow coming out of them is a little week. Might have to add some computer fans to help with that in the future.

Last edited:
Is that the back seat view of the center console?

yes, that's the back cover of the center console, it's only held in by 6 plastic latches, I started from the top by the armrest hinge corners (red arrows) and used a non marring plastic trim pry opener once you get the corners to pop, the remaining latches follow.

rk8086.jpg

Back