Cracked instrument panel window

Z0RrO

:
Mazda, CX-5, GS
I noticed my instrument panel window is cracked. I don't recall of hitting it. Is it under warranty ? panel.jpg

I would assume you could get it fixed under the 3 year bumper to bumper warranty, especially if there is no obvious place where it could have been hit and it just looks like a hairline crack or something like that.

I noticed my instrument panel window is cracked. I don't recall of hitting it. Is it under warranty ? View attachment 211144

You have a 2013 CX-5? Without knowing the purchase date, It's impossible to know whether it might be covered by warrantee. But the photo convinces me the crack was caused by a very localized pressure, something that is unlikely to happen without trauma from another object. So I doubt Mazda would cover the cost of replacement. If it were me, I would just ignore it. It's not worth the time/effort/expense to get it replaced and there is always the risk that replacement could cause problems down the road with other things if the technician doesn't do the replacement properly.

I've replaced them on other cars before and the swap is pretty straightforward. Usually there is only a matter of a few screws and plastic clips that attach the panel to the gauge cluster. The problem sometimes is trying to find just that component. In some cases the dealer will only sell a whole cluster replacement and not the plexi-glass panel.

Might just want to make a trip to a dealership parts department to see if you can source it easily from them. If not, you might have to start hunting through junk-yards and online sales.

Oh and BTW, did you have work done to the car recently? In my line of work, that sort of stuff can happen when you are tearing apart dashboards and other components of the car. It can get tricky around the cluster because the steering wheel isn't installed until everything on the dash is in place on the assembly line, and you usually would want to avoid removing a steering wheel if possible after the fact.
A mechanic or installer might not have noticed the damage (or in shady fashion, hoped you wouldn't)

@MikeM. the car will have 3 years this september which is still under the 3 years warranty.

@thedaddyb, no work have been done to the car.

Latest posts

Back