Corksport CX-5 Exhaust

I'm curious about the 80mm sizing, for comparison the Lexus IS x50 F-sport exhaust is 60mm for NA V6's of 2.5L-3.5L.

Anybody seen an actual explination for 80MM sizing? The probably get piping it in a lump bulk at a fair price, seeing as their other exhaust offerings for the Mazdaspeed community are 80MM as well.

The 350 SBC in my pickup has a 2" manifold back. Why on earth does any section of exhaust need to be >3" on a NA 4cyl.?

You could ask them on their section of this forum.....But you might not get an answer for a couple weeks..lol

Jeff

actually douche this thread isnt worthless considering the fact that no one has this exhaust or knows much about it so i was just giving my input on how it sounds and answering questions people may have on it. im sorry that my busy life prevented me from catering to your needs

Having said just that, cool exhaust bro.
24121608.jpg

I did the Beta testing for Corksport and used the exhaust for about 500 miles.

My car is a 2WD automatic and I also have the Corksport intake for the CX-5 installed, but the exhaust sound has masked all the noise from the intake.

The sound overall is okay, I come from the Subaru community and drove a highly modified WRX for years so I can appreciate the exhaust note, but with the volume(interior size) of the cabin it does tend to be a bit loud and drone at times. I noticed when the vehicle is cold on a very light acceleration at low RPM the entire tailgate rattled. It only happened on one occasion but was very pronounced.

After a cold start, the initial warm up period (about 30 sec.) while in Park is very loud both inside and outside the car. If I start the car while my kids are asleep I immediately put the transmission in gear to prevent the excessive noise so they don't wake up.

Cruising at speeds at or below 75 MPH (2600 RPM) is pleasant but above 75 MPH the sound level starts to be more noticeable and could be an issue on longer drives.

If this exhaust was going on a Mazda3 I would say the volume is fine, but since the target demographic for the CX-5 is young families I would have liked to have a little more subtle and refined interior exhaust note.

The fit and finish are excellent. I used ramps on the back wheels and total time was about 30 min for the install. Included with the exhaust was a gasket, but there was not a factory gasket installed when i removed the stock exhaust. I might suggest telling people they will need a deep socket set for the install.

Ultimately I decided not to keep the exhaust. It was just too loud inside for city driving and i noticed no increase in performance or fuel economy.

The video below is marginal but it's all I have.

http://s751.beta.photobucket.com/user/hiflyer731/media/CX-5/MVI_2059.mp4.html

Last edited:
At idle, it sounds pretty solid. I wonder how much of a difference, primarily in sound, would the 2.5 make. Thanks for the vid. very informative. Anyone have any while the car is under load? Interior? Exterior?

I installed the Corksport SRI and exhaust today. First impressions: very impressed by the build quality of the products they offer! This is my first experience with CS and I would buy from them again (albeit a little pricy!). The exhaust sounds very good. I was worried by other reviews that it would be excessively loud inside, but this is not the case, especially if you listen to any music at all. Only noise complaint is this: (MT) when putting the trans into neutral, there is a brief increase in exhaust noise on engine decel at approximately 1800-2000 rpm, like a brief blip on the radar. Also minor droning if under load at 1800 rpm. I find (at least on the manual) that if I am under load at 1800 rpm, I am probably in too high of a gear anyways and its time to downshift to get some decent acceleration, so this is not really a major issue at all, just an honest observation. .....The SRI sounds good, does its job....As for power gains, was hoping for more, but at least a small increase in acceleration noticed. For my little 2 liter, Thats a win in my book. Overall, I am satisfied with the purchases!

God to hear. Aftef my lowering springs are done being on backorder and installed, I wil be buying this. My only concern is thay I may be adding a curt 1.25 hitch and if it can clear the muffler. Specifically how much space between the muffler and the underpanel compared to stock.

Only noise complaint is this: (MT) when putting the trans into neutral, there is a brief increase in exhaust noise on engine decel at approximately 1800-2000 rpm, like a brief blip on the radar. Also minor droning if under load at 1800 rpm. I find (at least on the manual) that if I am under load at 1800 rpm, I am probably in too high of a gear anyways and its time to downshift to get some decent acceleration, so this is not really a major issue at all, just an honest observation.

I find in normal driving-maintaining my speed (with the auto tranny) I am always under 2000 rpm's (unless accelerating or climbing a steep hill). So, the droning would bother me (especially while listening to music).

BTW, it is not uncommon to THINK you have more power (with a muffler that is less efficient at muffling) due to the louder exhaust note. This is purely a psychological phenomenon and does not indicate there is faster acceleration.

I have installed the Exhaust today. I like it I'll post a pic/video tomorrow. Did a little run around w/o the exhaust on too .

One thing I forgot to post about when I installed the exhaust, before I made the purchase I asked corksport for a dyno print out, since there wasn't one on the website (they just advertise the 7hp gain). Not sure why its not on the website if they are willing to show me. But anyways, The dyno print out is in 4th gear and shows vehicle speed instead of RPM and looks decent. It shows the 7hp gain is at a high RPM/vehicle speed of 95 mph, with a 3-5 hp gain throughout the power band before reaching that point. Decent results at best. The max torque gain appears to be 7 ft/lbs, but the gain appears throughout the entire power band, which is nice!.... so hopefully this additional info helped someone. Also, noteworthy is that the testing was done with the SRI installed as well.

Exhaust removed (video person failed to point the camera in the right direction but w/e)

<iframe title="VideoBam video player" type="text/html" frameborder="0" scrolling="no" width="480" height="325" src="http://videobam.com/widget/tkLqI" allowFullScreen></iframe>

I kind of forgot but I think these videos were with the exhaust off. I'll do another sound rec later and post it. During normal driving it's loud enough but not to loud to be annoying, even at higher highway speeds.

Automatic mode

<iframe title="VideoBam video player" type="text/html" frameborder="0" scrolling="no" width="480" height="325" src="http://videobam.com/widget/UpLCL" allowFullScreen></iframe>

Manumatic

<iframe title="VideoBam video player" type="text/html" frameborder="0" scrolling="no" width="480" height="325" src="http://videobam.com/widget/ybDWl" allowFullScreen></iframe>

I can't imagine why anyone would want their car to sound like that.

That would start to drive me nuts after about 10 minutes.

Is that with no muffler? I see comment "exhaust removed" so I wasn't sure.

Back