CX-5 Turbo gets a Borla Axleback - Compared to Racing Beat

veritas80

23' CX5 Turbo
:
SI, NY
Hey guys. So i've been on the fence with this since I sold my RB. Wife didn't want me to mod the car so I took it off. I probably would have anyway at some point because for me, it was just too close to stock. I know others have it and like it and posted about its similarity to stock and everyones opinion is valid. I'm just speaking for me.

If the OEM exhaust is 0, The RB on the turbo is OEM .5
And there were a few, I was one of them that got a little frequency tone around 1500 rpm. It wasn't bad but I noticed it. Otherwise it was pretty much dead quiet unless you really got on it. Like over 4-4.5k.

At any rate I was able to talk my wife into letting me try again and I opted for the Borla Touring over the Corksport. I had a Borla Touring on my 08 Legacy GT and I loved it because it was subtle but noticeable.

If the RB on the turbo is OEM.5 the Borla is OEM 1.5. I can't speak on the Corksport but from what i've gleaned its louder than that.

The Borla is mellow but noticeable in acceleration from a stop, but if your easy on it, it's barely audible in the cabin, unless you step on it. At 40 mph, once the rpm drop, it's almost silent. 60 and cruising , nice and mellow 70 & 80 nice and mellow. It's there but not obtrusive at all. I hear it most cruising at 50-55 but again, not obnoxious. If you've got the radio on 10-15 or your talking, or even if you have the A/C on, you'd forget it's there, unless you step on it, even a little and you know its there.

I've only put about 60 miles on it but so far I really like the tone. It's also way lighter than the stock setup and noticeably lighter than the RB.
No Drone whatsoever (6 speed helps with that)

I'd take some vids but you guys know that they don't really do it justice.

I can say that if you are looking for something you def. can hear but isn't loud at all and not as deep as the Corksport but mellow and a full level above stock and the RB, this is the best option.

Only complaint so far is I wish the tips came out as far as the RB did. These are about where the stock tips were and because I painted the tips black, they look further under. It's not bad, but I wish it was an inch further out.

Attachments

• IMG_4661.jpg
    IMG_4661.jpg
    211.6 KB · Views: 84
  • IMG_4662.jpg
    IMG_4662.jpg
    140.6 KB · Views: 82
  • IMG_4663.jpg
    IMG_4663.jpg
    188.3 KB · Views: 94
Last edited:
Looks good and hopefully sounds good as well, but there’s no power to change out the muffler. Just replacing a cat back exhaust especially when you’re not replacing the catalytic converter itself with a high flow cat/cat delete.

I’m debating on and exhaust cut out. They have the electric ones with solenoids that can be triggered from inside the car. Hopefully burger tonight and can figure out a way to turn off/defeat, the check engine light for the O2 sensors. I would delete the first card and place the cut out right after. Concerned about voiding my warranty.

With an exhaust cut out, you’re guaranteed to get more horsepower and torque than some simple cat back exhaust. And probably save some money while you’re at it. I’d rather put the money into an into an intake so at least I can hear the blow off valve. You could always set up something into the speakers if you’re looking for louder sound from your exhaust like most OEM or doing these days.

Back