Cooling down the Engine Bay

umm.. other than IC sprayer, what about making a radiator water sprayer?? (dunno)
will that work to cool the engine temp?

ive had this idea for a while...but...has anyone cut out a section of their hood and put in a WRX style hood scoop? ...that would get the hot air outta there....any one do this or know how to go about it? (hood scoops are like 30 bucks...)

DistantTea said:
Anyone who is serious about underhood temps should contact JetHot. JetHot (or similar) coatings inside and outside of the S pipe and turbo manifold pipes will drop the temps inside your engine bay massive amounts... usually in the realm of 50% to 70%. Engine block heat dosn't really account for jack in there. Its all coming from the exhaust piping and turbo.

JetHot on the header is about $185 + shipping... I'm sure you can get a cheaper, similar product locally. The S pipe needs it too. You can't jethot your turbo but you can get a turbo heat booty for the exhaust side to help keep radiated heat out... but I doubt the long term wear something that like that might do. JetHot will make your coated parts last damn near forever and you'll gain HP from exhaust temp scavenging.

After that your intercooler pipes should stay nice and cool, but if you wanted to wrap them in thermal tape they'll stay ambient. If you have monster cash you could coat everything in the engine bay... makes it pretty but your checkbook will be empty.

After that a mix of water wetter and 50/50 or if you live in the southern states were it never freezes pure distilled water and water wetter is the best solution. A properly jethotted exhaust manifold and S pipe will do nearly all the work for you though if you are serious.

Jet hot is awesome. It reduced my under hood temps considerably.

www.jet-hot.com

My header was coated inside & out for $165.00.

rednecks_r_us said:
Jet hot is awesome. It reduced my under hood temps considerably.

www.jet-hot.com

My header was coated inside & out for $165.00.
Yeah, I've decided I'm going to jet-hot my downpipe before I install it. I've put off installing for a month or so now, another month ain't gonna hurt. Maybe someday I'll get that sweet MAM manifold too.

1moreMPH said:
ive had this idea for a while...but...has anyone cut out a section of their hood and put in a WRX style hood scoop? ...that would get the hot air outta there....any one do this or know how to go about it? (hood scoops are like 30 bucks...)
The WRX's have that hood scoop mainly because of their top mount intercooler. You would just be blowing air on the valve cover, and I'm not sure how much that would help. I kinda think something like the wings west evo style hood would work better becuase I believe it draws air out of it's grill meshes instead of shoving air in, so the air that enters from the front of the car has a nice exit, and the air has a definite path to move along.
Also, I have a friend that owns a WRX that reads the scooby forums a lot. He says he read that at higher speeds the wrx scoop actually does not draw any air in and becomes ineffective. Not sure how valid that statement is, but I can believe it due to the way the airflow would happen at high speed, and probably create a low pressure area where the hood scoop is at high speeds. I'm not saying it's a bad idea, just passing on some info I thought might be relevant.

Fai said:
anyone thinks that a radiator water sprayer will work?? lol
Honestly, I don't see much point in it. Something like that would only cool things down temporarily, and even then it would only work if the thermostat was in open position, and your fans were running or you were moving. Personally I would rather spend time and money on solutions that are effective constantly to make my engine run more efficiently and reliably.

I read in another thread of a mod that is basically a switch to turn your cooling fans on on-demand. IMO this would be a better idea for temporary cooling solution.

build a rice cooker inside the engine bay, that way you can cook rice. Maybe a modified george foreman grill on the heat shield!?!? MSK the mazdaspeed kitchen.
I dont know, too much beer brought on this idea.

peepsalot said:
Yeah, I've decided I'm going to jet-hot my downpipe before I install it. I've put off installing for a month or so now, another month ain't gonna hurt. Maybe someday I'll get that sweet MAM manifold too.

The WRX's have that hood scoop mainly because of their top mount intercooler. You would just be blowing air on the valve cover, and I'm not sure how much that would help. I kinda think something like the wings west evo style hood would work better becuase I believe it draws air out of it's grill meshes instead of shoving air in, so the air that enters from the front of the car has a nice exit, and the air has a definite path to move along.
Also, I have a friend that owns a WRX that reads the scooby forums a lot. He says he read that at higher speeds the wrx scoop actually does not draw any air in and becomes ineffective. Not sure how valid that statement is, but I can believe it due to the way the airflow would happen at high speed, and probably create a low pressure area where the hood scoop is at high speeds. I'm not saying it's a bad idea, just passing on some info I thought might be relevant.

totally understand that. and yes, the evo hoods are designed to draw air up and out because the moving air 'atracts' it. and yea, the air is specifically for the top mount IC. however, for us, i think it would help to blow the air down and out which would keep things a bit cooler. plus, i dunno, might look pretty cool. ...it's a poor man's evo hood mixed with subie looks. :)

Back