constant rain, mold smell?

FL_PR5

:
2002 Mazda Protege 5
i've searched and haven't really found anything pertaining to rain mold, just molding carbon fiber and fiberglass ha. but its been raining nonstop for like 3days straight. and now there is a stagnant water/mold smell (pretty sure its not my gym crap). me and my friend tried finding it without any luck. has anyone else had this problem with their p5? what are common spots on this car where it can happen? i heard one guy had it in their spare tire well. any info would be great before i rip apart my car, thanks.

i have to keep my car in the garage because eveytime it rains i get water in the hatch and gets down in the spare tire area i looked everywhere for a leak cant find nothing not sure if its a bad seal around the hatch or not. people tell me it could be coming from the roof rack but im not sure if its true i never took mine off.. i been trying to figure it out for a while why it leaks :bs:

yea, today it stopped and i felt the trunk lining and spare tire well and no signs of water. i am going to check my door panels, i've noticed that when i roll my windows down when they are wet the seal isn't scrapping off the water so the water stays constant on the windows. how can you tell if its the roof besides ripping it apart? would the damage be noticeable?

If you have a sunroof, roll it back and pour a half glass of water into the ridge underneath (you'll know what I mean when you see it). There are holes for water drainage, and if the water doesn't go down them and then leak out just aft of your front tires, they're clogged and need to be cleared. Make sure your carpet isn't wet...I had dripping underneath my dash, and my carpet was wet (only when it rained). I finally determined my windshield needed to be resealed. The water was leaking in at the top driver side corner, running down the A pillar and dripping under the dash. Also, your doors have a small flap on the inside near the back of the door (look at the lower back corner while sitting in the car) for drainage out of the doors. Lift the flap and see if any H2O exits. Good luck!

also check the seals around the roof rack.....i know i have a few missing nuts that held it down and water got in under the gasket

alright thanks a lot, that helps a ton! i don't have a roof rack tho, so i'm gonna check everything else out. and now that you mention it, i did notice a little bit of condensation on one of my gauges that freaked me out. if it is the weather strips, how do you replace them? like can only the dealership do it or is a DIY kind of project?

yeah i get puddles of water down in those side pockets and i think who ever had the car before me might have back into something but i cant find where it could be coming in from.

roof rails, rear tails, sunroof, a bad window seal.

i've had them all including bad body work where welds cracked from a collision repair

I had a leak in my windshield after it got replaced. Could feel the headliner and it was all damp. I also got mildewed floormats once from tracking snow into my car and having it slowly melt and soak the floormats.

...and are you sure it is not coming in through the vent system (mold in the heater box)?

i wouldn't even know how to check that? i've had my air turned on and all of that smells normal. so the the smell isn't coming out of the air vents

Back