Overall length (mm)4540
Overall width (mm)1755
Overall height (mm)1465
Wheelbase (mm)2640
Ground clearance unladen/laden (mm)145

New Phase! said:
Make it easier for you, I am looking for all measures as in

Ground clearance unladen/laden (mm)

You asked if anyone had the measurements for the P5, They were both on the same place. If you had asked for a more "Detailed list" You would not have had to, Make it easier for anyone.

No offence I realise that you may not have read how that sounded, but really... Easier for me, like I need a tutor or an easier to understand description? This is how people get off to a bad start.

How It Might Happen

I noted the comment, "Why did you buy the car if you're not happy with it?", which is a legitimate question that can be perhaps explained by my experience with the Protege.

For the record, I've been very unhappy with the characteristics of the Protege, reliability problems notwithstanding. I indeed had test driven the car before buying it, and thought it was fun to drive, but unfortunately a test drive will never allow you to fully learn what the car will be like. I discovered my dissatisfaction over time; particularly after I had the chance to take it out on an extended road trip. After that, it became apparent that this would not be a car I could be happy with.

My observations during and after the road trip:

Gratuitous road noise.
A nervous, bucking ride.
The center storage/"arm rest" is far too low and back to be of any use, thus tiring my right arm.
Engine RPMs much higher than they should be at comparatively slow highway speeds.
Poor fuel economy (compared to Honda/Toyota compact car offerings, for instance).
Poor quality windshield glass.

Ive found after a full day of driving in this car Im much more tired-- Noise and uncivil ride quality will do that, sadly.

Other general observations:

Raucous engine noise before the engine is warmed up, thus sounding like a diesel.

Protege is great for zipping around town, as it indeed is a fun car to drive for such purposes. Its handing is phenomenal. This faade is largely what sold me on it in the first place, and is why I bought it (in addition to predicated good reliability and awesome appearance; I still think Protege looks fantastic). But for me, thats not enough-- I expect a car that yields a nice balance between comfort, handling, economy, and refinement, and as it is the Protege only delivers a one-sided experience: Sportiness. This I couldnt have really known until AFTER owning it for some time.

So, its not always possible to go into a car buying experience fully knowing if the car will work for you, and I believe thats why were seeing a few people being bothered with their new 3s. I sure wish that wasn't the case, because I feel your pain, brother! I can identify with how troublesome it is to have bought a car that turned sour.

Anyway, thats my theory, at least! On the other hand there are many who feel the Protege is perfectly fine, and there will also be many who feel the 3 is fine. Again, matters of different opinion that must be respected...

Alternately, and as an aside, sure wish I could afford an Accord :( . Although I'd have to be the first to agree that it's an ugly car, it's easily more comfortable, and has an excellent engine. I'm at a point now where I'm more interested in function than in vanity, and even though Honda's kind of a generic, commonplace vehicle, I think the Accord's blend of characteristics is the kind of car that I'd personally be happy with.

Brian MP5T said:
You asked if anyone had the measurements for the P5, They were both on the same place. If you had asked for a more "Detailed list" You would not have had to, Make it easier for anyone.

No offence I realise that you may not have read how that sounded, but really... Easier for me, like I need a tutor or an easier to understand description? This is how people get off to a bad start.

Ok, I apologize to pull this OT but since it seems to be directed to me so I would respond.

I think on my initial post for inquiring measurements, I believe I've said "ALL" measurements.

That's right, "Look again, closer" next time.

I didn't get offended from your comment, so you shouldn't be from mine as I am not intended to anyway. :)

<- who's trying to clear things up. :)

Re: How It Might Happen

Eugeosyncline said:
I noted the comment, "Why did you buy the car if you're not happy with it?", which is a legitimate question that can be perhaps explained by my experience with the Protege.

I'm sorry that you find your car is lacking. I am personally happy as I have ever been with any car. All the positive points you brought up are the ones I love my car for. Some of the negatives dont bother me as much as they do you I guess...Later

New Phase! said:
Ok, I apologize to pull this OT but since it seems to be directed to me so I would respond.

I think on my initial post for inquiring measurements, I believe I've said "ALL" measurements.

That's right, "Look again, closer" next time.

I didn't get offended from your comment, so you shouldn't be from mine as I am not intended to anyway. :)

<- who's trying to clear things up. :)

Understood, I to am sorry. :p

comfort......

When it comes down to it...."COMFORT" is strictly a personal observation. What is a "pain in the a.." to some, is fine or bearable to others.

When it comes to my P5 (and yea, I have really test driven the 3 hatch) is the " nasty ride".

I like this car even with some of its goofy problems I have experienced personally. But the idea of living with that nasty, bouncy, headache inducing ride another 3 years worth of payments pisses me off.

I like the 3. I like the Scion XB (yea goofball car) and both do ride better than my P5. But neither of them have the front seat leg-room of my P5. The 3 felt a little cramped to me on the "left foot" and the Scion XB is set up almost reminding me off a old VW Bus....odd but cool, but odd.

But i am gonna trade out of this thing one day, darn it , wanted to pay off a car and have no payments. Aint gonna happen. Gotta start all over again......which SUCKS!!!

Gonna drive both again (3 hatch and Xb) and try to decide or Im just gonna say to hell with it all and by a moped!!!

CAR DEALERS SHOULD REALLY LET U TEST DRIVE A VEHICLE FOR AN ENTIRE WEEKEND! "DEMOS" SHOULD MEAN KEEP THE CAR FOR A FEW DAYS AND REALLY TEST IT OUT AND THEN DECIDE. THEN FORUMS SUCH AS THIS WOULD NOT BE NECESSARY AND GET RELATIVELY SANE PEOPLE ALL PISSED AT EACH OTHER. MAN, YOU GUYS WERE READY TO THROW PUNCHES, THAT AINT THE WAY THIS IS SUPPOSE TO BE.

Tay in Carolina.

Good Practice

Sorry to hear you too have been a victim of the Protege's (in my opinion) primitive ride characteristics, taylor5. Believe me, everyone, I honestly wish it wasn't such a problem-- It would make vehicular life much easier, to be sure.

Anyway, that's also an excellent point regarding the practice of being able to test drive a car over a weekend or something. I believe some GM dealerships allowed for a "sleep on it", "try a car for a day or two" program (with accompanying advertising campaign). Now THAT'S a practical, good idea-- Although I understand it's a risk and added cost to a dealer. But that allows you to really get to know a car, and when you're talking about purchases in the tens of thousands of dollars, from now on I damn well want to know EVERYTHING about a car. I'm not interested in getting burned again...

A day or two living with a car is the best way I can think of to answer critical questions concerning one's satisfaction with a car's characteristics.

Sorry to shift topic a bit, but it's a good idea!

Just trying to clear up an earlier argument here:

According to Mazda.ca, the 2.3L (GT) does

City - 9.2L/100kms (5MT) | 9.8L/100kms (4AT)
Highway - 6.7L/100kms (5MT) | 7.5L/100kms (4AT)

In Miles per Imperial gallon:

City - 30.7 mpg (5MT) | 28.8 mpg (4AT)
Highway - 42.2 mpg (5MT) | 37.7 mpg (4AT)

In Miles per US gallon:

City - 25.6 mpg (5MT) | 24.0 mpg (4AT)
Highway - 35.1 mpg (5MT) | 31.4 mpg (4AT)

See how big a difference it makes depending on which kind of gallon you use? Remember, 1 Imperial gallon = 1.2 US gallons.

Just Use The KM/L, The metric system works!!! The entire world uses it... AARRRGGHHH!!! Even Pakistan...The Dutch Love it...Even LIBIA!!...CUBA...

Back