Cobb Turbo Inlet Install & Review

ok, to answer all of your questions about noise, the cobb sf intake on its own is loud, unclear, wild sounding, and has a suction problem on its own around 2500-3000 rpm going downhill or cruising with your foot slightly on the acceleration you will feel the car either want to bypass or suck in air, its a small turbulent battle solved by coasting until you need to accelerate again. i claim about 5hp to the midrange (a good throttle response too!), and 15hp total to the top end, you hear turbo spool and it is wild sounding a great cheap high quality purchase. you will bypass loudly every time and i have the stock bpv its incredible. another problem is that it does not recirculate often at WOT. you hear a loud quick vent.

NOW.

i installed the cobb turbo inlet pipe today and this went from a crazy sounding car, to a precise and professional sounding turbocharged car, without a shred of rice in the bowl. throttle response is absolutely improved even moreso, and i will again claim another 10hp added to the top end, i shifted at 6200rpm once and it recirculated like magic and sent the same amount of boost to the next gear like nothing i've felt on this car before. the bird chirp in the beginning of a rev from the intake is also intenseified and crispy. the turbulence felt in the cruising and going downhill has dissapeared. the turbo spooling sound is very very very clean and less anoying than just an intake. i guarantee performance from both the cobb intake and inlet pipe.

well shredder i have the aem cai and a turboxs hybrid bov. about some time next month i will be getting the cobb inlet pipe along with the su tmic and intercooler piping with step1 plugs. so with all of that added i should have a decent amount of power and sound to my car right??? like i said before i wanna have all of this done before i go to this mazda meet at orange county choppers on may 2nd. since you live in jersey you should regester so far not too many speed 6's going and i would like to see more of them there

i was contemplating going.

before the TMIC i would get a tune, and make sure your car can handle this before you spike 24psi and blowup. also make sure you get some drivetrain and suspension improvements, this is a car that benefits from being built from the ground up. not from bolt ons, its not a honda or a nissan. it should be tuned after every two bolt ons you do.

You shouldn't spike too bad without a tune. Ive spiked 20 a bunch but as long as your watching your boost gauge you will be fine. You should get a motor mount though. Get the power to the wheels more efficiently.

ok i am a little new to this but are you talking about something like the cobb tuning or something??? sorry just a little confused

I swapped inlets today in about 35 minutes start to finish. Very easy to do once you know where things go and how to move them.

one thing i did notice on mine is its not "louder" its more crisp as said..my hks ssqv sounds better,it sounds like its working correctly, where as before it didnt, but i think thats because i had a leak in the recirc hose.. i pressure tested it to 15psi and all was good ....install was alittle over an hour. i have the black one and unless ur really looking for it u cant see it, i like that. fit nicely with the aem cai.

Last edited:
I take it the kit doesn't come with Tbolt clamps, just the crappy worm gear ones?

Gmac

I Ended Up Getting The Polished Htp Turbo Inlet And I Have To Say I Love It Paired Up With The Polished Aem Intake...it Looks Nice Having One Aluminum Pipe Going All The Way Back To The Turbo... It Deffinetly Changed The Sound Of My Turboxs Hybrid Bov. It Now Sounds Deeper And I Love It A Lot!! The Spooling Of The Turbo Sound Is Now Increased And It Sounds Amazing And I Am Very Happy With The Product...i Have Always Been A Fan Of The Loud Sound Of A Turbo Spoolin !!!

I just got done installing my Cobb TIP. Thanks Bova for the play-by-play instructions, that helped a heluva lot. I took it for a spin to see the difference from the stock inlet and WOW!!. just like Boosted said, it's not louder but feels more precise and efficient. No hesitation or sputtery feeling like with the stock one, and I may be wrong but it seemed to shift smoother too. Man I love this thing

hey guys im trying to install my cpe turbo inlet and i can almost get it on but there is a black bracket that sticks up vertically that basically pushes on the bottom of the inlet. I can't manage to slide the tube over the turbo because of it. I looked at bova's pictures and I can't tell if the bracket is there or not. I have an 07 model and after installing my shortshifter I found extra brackets that the 06's didn't have. Any help please ! thanks.

Edit: if you look at the bottom picture in step 3 of bova's how to . . . Look in the very middle of the picture and you will see 3 bolts, the first of which is missing. Hard to explain but was this removed?? In my car I have a large black bracket that sticks up about 4 inches right into the bottom of the inlet.

Last edited:
thx guys appreciate it. Got it all installed but somehow the rubber bolt (that i think was supplied with my CAI) broke. Im talking about the bracket that holds the CAI in place.IT looks like some type of glue / tar stuff was used to glue it together and it just came apart. I hate running into these little problems /:.

yeah i don't show it in the pictures because i had mine out already from the previous inlet i had installed.

so when you install the turbo inlet pipe with a Fujita F5 CAI wont this lower the filter lower into the wheel well and endanger your filter with wet weather?

Back