cel faild emissions

chloe84

ok, so my car just faild emissions due to a CEL, and the sheet said it was P0850, or neutral saty switch, so..... any ideas as to how i can clear this to pass emissions. i unplugged the harness at the clutch peadal itself and the harness relaying to the tranny, and with both unplugged, somehow the car still starts..... plugged both harnesses back in and CEL is still on..... is it electrical, or perhaps the PCM???thanks.

its interesting that it was a P0850, since that code isnt even listed in the shop manual for the protege's. even more interesting is that they failed you for something that isnt even emmissions related.

the neutral swaitch is loaceted on the back side of the transmission, towards the firewall. i would start by replacing it, and see if the cel comes back.

I threw this code at some point during my car's life, and it went away within an hour of driving. Hopefully that'll happen with you, otherwise, replace it I guess. +1 on the suckage for not passing due to a non-emissions related issue.

So do you still get a CEL with the harness unplugged??? If not, get it inspected with it unplugged, haha.

yeah i think ill replace the switch first. and Yes arizona has stupid emissions laws, if a car thats newer than 2000 has a CEL it will automaticly fail emissions. even with the harnesses off and back on, the CEL is still on. argh silly car.

take the tach out and remove led bulb

that will just turn the light off. whent hey do an emissions check, they plug into the computer, which will show the MIL code and fail. they do the same thing in NY and CT, and probably CA, too.

ok i was looking to see where the switch is and on my car its not on the firewall side , nor towards the top, its mounted to the tranny on the bottom facing the headlights. Now i did have an engine swap a while back when i blew my engine, and i'was wondering if they put it back in the wrong place.....
can anybody look on thier car to make sure its on the fire wall side. it would be much appreciated.
:D

the switch on the front, towards the headlights, is the reverse switch. the neutral swaitch is on the other side, towards the firewall.

attached is the transmission rebuild manual, which may help out a little bit.

Attachments

• Rebuild Manual.pdf
    1.5 MB · Views: 180
OK so i looked under the hood today and didnt see a single darn thing, in that area, i did see the speedo switch that goes to the trany. I think im going crazy, or is perhaps behind the transmission casing. :(

what about unhooking the battery and let it seat for a minute. help me out but then again it came back later that day

by un hooking the battery, your not neccesarily clearing a CEL, your just resetting your PCM, and if the problem isnt fixed, after the car drives its "drive cycle" you will pop the CEL again. so it may look like a fix, but its just hiding the problem, and sadly not from the emissions testers, as they will see that the car isnt ready and needs to complete its "drive cycle"

Any update on how to get rid of p0850? I just swapped a MTX tranny in, it started fine, now I get the crappy idle and this stupid CEL code...

by un hooking the battery, your not neccesarily clearing a CEL, your just resetting your PCM, and if the problem isnt fixed, after the car drives its "drive cycle" you will pop the CEL again. so it may look like a fix, but its just hiding the problem, and sadly not from the emissions testers, as they will see that the car isnt ready and needs to complete its "drive cycle"

Depending on the state though, not all of them require that every emissions monitor be set. The trick is to figure out which one you don't want set, and then avoid driving in a way that would set it.

yeah i think ill replace the switch first. and Yes arizona has stupid emissions laws, if a car thats newer than 2000 has a CEL it will automaticly fail emissions. even with the harnesses off and back on, the CEL is still on. argh silly car.

This is Mazda's fault, not Arizona's. According to OBD2 standards, the CEL is only supposed to come on if your car has a problem that directly impacts your vehicle's emissions. Arizona probably figures (as would I) that if your CEL is on, and there's a trouble code logged, then there must be a problem with your emissions. They probably don't have the authority to say, "Well, I don't think the neutral safety switch is related to emissions". They're paid to follow instructions.

Again, if this is the case, then it's Mazda's fault for wiring the CEL to come on when a neutral safety switch code is logged. You can still have trouble codes logged for non-emissions problems, but it won't trigger your CEL.

Back