Importing to EU from NA emissions question (2016 CX-5)

Hi,
I imported my Mazda CX5 , 2016 , 2.0 L, FWD from Canada to Europe.
The same car was sold in Europe in 2016 and was rated by Mazda as a Euro 4 emission standard.
Unfortunately here in EU , the car is tested according to WLTP for Euro emission standards.
My car did not make Euro 3 , due to high hydrocarbon emissions , is tested at 0.3g/km and the Euro 3 admissible value is 0.2g/km.

Did anyone import a CX5 in EU and passed this test ? Are there any modifications needed in order to make the car Euro 3 compatible ?

Thank you !

Yes I’ve seen a couple of reports here who took their CX-5 to EU. They didn’t report any emission problems by doing that. Even the headlights、rear fog light seem to have no issues which I though that could be a problem. I guess your 2016 CX-5 (mileage?) is 7 years old now and there could be some emission components failing which causes higher
hydrocarbon emissions. It could be your catalytic converter is not burning them off. Or it could be caused by ignition misfire or misfire due to excessively lean or rich air/fuel mixtures. Or it could be leaks in hoses and vents in the fuel system leading to an increased hydrocarbon emission reading. It can be time consuming to trace the cause and not too many qualified car shops there can handle such emission problem especially for a vehicle from out of country unfortunately.

Thank you for your answer. The reports you've seen do not involve any modifications to the car like PCM software or catalytic converter for the import to EU ?
My car was in a Mazda dealership , they changed sparks plugs, air filter, oil and filter , checked for leaks in the exhaust and intake and cleaned chemically the catalytic converter. All this with no results , the hydrocarbon emissions are the same. Any ideas of what else to look for ?
Thanks again

Put super 100 gas for at least one full tank of gas. Then Go drive on the highway for some time at higher speed and go to the test right after. No city driving, no cold starts and no traffic jams if possible.

If that doesnt help then the usual -
New catalytic converter would probably help a lot. Sometimes having new o2 sensors too.
Strange that the 2016 cant meet even euro4. The 2017 and newer are usually at least euro5, some even euro6.
Which country are we talking about? Hope its not switzerland.

Last edited:
⋯ Which country are we talking about? Hope its not switzerland.
The most expensive country to travel or live in Europe! May be the most strict emission inspection there too?

Yes, they are one of the very strict. Germany TUV probably next and most others are more relaxed from emissions standpoint. Although lately with the whole green initiative in the EU and mandated shift towards EVs, things are not looking good for petrol/diesel long term.

Back