Candy Apple Red

My Colorado pickup is black. I like it fine, but I'm pretty fussy about keeping my cars clean so I'm wiping them down and cleaning windows almost daily. So I manage with black. It looks great when it's all shined up, but they show every little spec of dust, and you can't just wet-wipe them with a chamois - they water-spot something awful. So you have to follow up with quick-detailer and a polishing cloth. I'll see if I can find the how-to I posted for the colorado owners forum - I got started detailing cars about forty years ago. :)
Black is THE worst, silver is THE best, with white a close second. Gold is good cuz it's nearly the color of dirt. LOL.
Solid white, not pearl or metallic, is easiest to patch as well. I've been doing custom paint work since the '70's.

Living on a dirt road, the thing I've noticed most on my 2017 S. Red GT is that the back hatch and rear window are magnets for dust. My old '91 pathfinder had this kind of inverted "spoiler" that directed air downward across the back of the vehicle and kept a lot of the dust off, the CX-5 doesn't. And boy can I tell the difference, it's not even worth washing the back window when I get gas, as it will just be covered with dust again as soon as I get home.

Found it...from coloradofans owners forum, black truck thread:

"Guys, [or gals] this is golden. Black vehicles are THE BIGGEST PITA in the world to keep clean. The ONLY reason I went with it cuz there wasn't anything else and I keep my cars spotless. But I tell you what, this thing OWNS ME.

Forty years ago, while I was still in high school, our next door neighbor owned a car dealership and I got a job there as a lot boy. Park cars, unlock the keys out of them, gas 'em, jump 'em, and wash 'em. The detail shop was connected to the used car lot and there were a couple'a pro's there and I literally learned how to fine-detail a car at a VERY young age.

So here are some gems that will make it easy (easier ) to keep your black truck [car] shiny.

First, you have to keep up with it. This isn't like almost any other color, white, silver, gold, pretty much any light color is a cakewalk. Black shows EVERY darned spec of dust, water spot, finger print.

Get a car duster. They call 'em California Car Dusters for a reason. It's dusty here and we like our cars clean. (Maybe they make them here. Ha ha)

Dust it off every night when you get home.

Quick detailer - get the one from Mother's or Maguires, or any of the sprays they call instant shine or quick detailer. Have it and an old cotton t-shirt for a quick touch up. You gotta do this almost every day though cuz if the dirt builds up or gets caked on there you're gonna ruin your paint and it will just cake up with the dirt. If it's really dirty you gotta wash it. It also won't work if your wax gets stripped off or worn out. My show cars just NEVER got washed, only quick detailed and waxed.

Get any birdshit off there IMMEDIATELY. The acid will etch into the paint very quickly.

Get one of the German made microfiber drying cloths - synthetic chamois. But there's only one of these that is worth a darn - they're those gold colored ones they demo at the home shows that pickup ten times its weight in water. That's the one. yep. Can post a link if you need a source.

On a light color you can dry it with the chamois after a wash and you're good to go. Black? No way. You gotta quick detail it after you dry to get the spots off.

Washing - DO NOT USE LIQUID DISH SOAP. It is WAY too caustic - it will pull ALL of the wax and sealants out of the paint. Get high quality car wash soap and either a wool mitt or a boar-hair brush. The latter are about $75 so don't think you're getting the same thing with a cheap POS from the auto parts store for $12.

303 Aerospace Protectant. This stuff is an absolute miracle. Apply to any rubber, vinyl, or plastic material for spf40 protection, no silicone oil (like armorall) and it will look like new again, protect the surface, and give a nice low-sheen lusture. Really good for tires.

Apply synthetic wax. Carnuba is great for a show car but it's not durable enough for a driver. It shines great but wears off quickly. You want a polymer synthetic sealant wax and do the hood at least every couple of months. The rest of it can get by once or twice a year, but the hood and roof take a beating from all the weather, especially sun and dirt, industrial fallout, etc.

I know, we should probly have a detail thread, but hey, these are the black rigs and we poor suckers have it REALLY bad."

My black truck. Our Mazda3 in the background was also 'soul-red', but this new crystal red on the CX-5 is AMAAAAZING!

Nice Post Brown, I just got my 2017, washed it, used Optimum Paint prep to strip any waxes or coatings then put on a coat of Optimum Gloss Coat. I hope this does the trick, I guess it should last a while longer than wax and with my dusty dirt road some waxes make things worse.

Soul Red Crystal - The Art of Color

Mazda's e-newsletter had this video on the Soul Red Crystal - The Art of Color paint.

Back