Buy a car with salvage title? need help

CasopoliS

Contributor
:
05 Legacy GT, 06 Accord SE, Civic
Ok I found the car I want, but it has a salvage title. It is a 2001 but only has 18,000 miles (and these are accurate). It got in a minor fender bender in the rear quarter. The quarter panel and axel (with boots) were replaced for that side. No frame damage, it was rather minor. The axle was replaced only because the boots split open and grease came out. All parts were ordered OEM from dealership and done at a professional shop. Looking at the car, you cannot even tell it has ever been worked on.... looks pristine in and out. Runs perfectly. Carfax matches everything the seller states, and even has accurate details of the accident along with a case number. The price is great, otherwise I would not consider it.
What is bad about a salvage title (other than the reason)? Is the titling process different? Are banks less likely to give a loan out for a salvage title car? Are different inspections required or anything? I plan to keep the car a long while.
Let me know your thoughts. I would take it to a dealership and pay them to do a full inspeciton on it before purchasing.

Last edited:
oh damn it worked!!! I am having troubles starting threads. I will edit the first post to say stuff.

Ok I just found out that salvage title means the cost to fix were estimated to be more than the car itself. That makes a huge difference. Looks like I will stay away.

If it has been repaired and you are getting a SMOKING deal on it you could possibly be ok. But Salvage titles destroy the value of the car. A lot of places wont loan money on those cars. I have a friend that has bought cars like this before and they have been fine, but he is extremely careful. If the damage was as minor as its stated I dont see why it was totaled.

bratliff said:
If it has been repaired and you are getting a SMOKING deal on it you could possibly be ok. But Salvage titles destroy the value of the car. A lot of places wont loan money on those cars. I have a friend that has bought cars like this before and they have been fine, but he is extremely careful. If the damage was as minor as its stated I dont see why it was totaled.

yea I was thinking the same thing. I am staying away now!

Back