Bug Deflector

Yea, I got it. I've been holding off and just looked at it again when it occurred to me that the Canadian version 5 is different around the hood and grill and wondered if the big deflector would work on the US version?

wonder where it is different.... shouldn't be. Can you send me a pic of the front end to shake my memory.... thanks

Zoom,

Who is the manufacture of the bug shield? I still can't find one down here Virigina.

stay far away from bra's.....well, you know what I mean :)

I've been using these deflectors on my car now for at least 10 years. Bra's were a pain. Dirt gets under them, scratches your paint, paint fades etc. You are not supposed to leave a bra on 24/7. The original idea of a bra was for long trips but of course people are lazy and leave it on. The deflector does a great job with keeping rock chips off the hood. I won't even buy a car now without one. I don't think I have one rock chip on my hood yet....knock on wood. And I live in a place that uses sand on the roads in the winter.

I've also got the same winter rims....lol!

Zoom5Zoom said:
wonder where it is different.... shouldn't be. Can you send me a pic of the front end to shake my memory.... thanks

You know, I think I got the Euro 5 and the Canadian 5 mixed up. Your front end is like ours, it;s the Euro one that has the lesser cross pieces on the grill.

So to confirm, tape on the hood is required? What's the long term damage from that? I'm weary of tape, same goes for those window visors- they are tape on also.

Last edited:
has anyone tried the clear 3M tape that you can apply for the same effect? It's a clear vinyl that you apply to the front edge of the hood and bumper area? Looks like a good idea to me.

Kid Red said:
You know, I think I got the Euro 5 and the Canadian 5 mixed up. Your front end is like ours, it;s the Euro one that has the lesser cross pieces on the grill.

So to confirm, tape on the hood is required? What's the long term damage from that? I'm weary of tape, same goes for those window visors- they are tape on also.

Hey KidRed - I had that clear tape on the bug deflector I had on my VW Golf for 7 years before a big rock smashed my entire shield. When I took the tape off there was a bit of sticky residue that was very stubborn to wash off - but with a little 'goo-gone' it came off and you would have never known it was there.

Does anyone know if they make a clear deflector?

Mike- THanks for the chime in, good to know. The Goo-Gone didn't damage the paint or clear coat either?

Anyone else have the bug deflector? I have the Silver 5 and was wondering what a dark plastic deflector would look like.

Zoom5Zoom said:
hope to have day time pics next week. As for the reply above it has the same style bumpers and plastic clips for support.

FYI looks better on a Mazda 5 not a Protege 5 lol.......

If you pre pay shipping I can have one to ya from canada next week...let me know.

not sure what you're talking about ;)
hooddefs.jpg

Kid Red said:
Mike- THanks for the chime in, good to know. The Goo-Gone didn't damage the paint or clear coat either?

Anyone else have the bug deflector? I have the Silver 5 and was wondering what a dark plastic deflector would look like.

Not that I recall - it was quite awhile ago now but I did make sure I didn't use too much and then washed the car right away. For the record - It was a light blue metallic paint.

That's cool, good to know.

So anymore pics? I'm hoping to see some good shots of this installed on a silver 5.

I just installed my deflector last week. It was an original Mazda part from the dealer and was a better deflector than the one for my old Ford Focus.
The tape is supplied where the clips attach and it is quality stuff...
Cheaper than the one for my wifes 2000 civic ( $125.00 )
By the way, my 5 is black so the black deflector looks cool !

I just bought the deflector for my cardinal red, but probably will install it this weekend (hopefully). Will post pics when it is ready.

Be worried about the little rubber things that go on the hood to insure the deflector doesnt come in contact with the hood (The "Bump stops"), they leve little circle dents in the hood in there shape from when the deflector hits them , did so on my Protege, and I took the thing off before I hit 1000klm

What ever you do DONT put one on the direct center on the hood (On the line) put it off center, if put there 100% you will have a ****** up center line.

They arnt very noticeable, but I KNOW they are there, but F-this hood when I get a CF one.

Last edited:
Hey there Medicman!!! Do you know what the Mazda part # is for the bug deflector??? My dealer said there wasn't one available for the Mazda 5... Sure would appreciate it!!!

Thanks in advance!!!

Fastmak :)

Fastmak said:
Hey there Medicman!!! Do you know what the Mazda part # is for the bug deflector??? My dealer said there wasn't one available for the Mazda 5... Sure would appreciate it!!!

Thanks in advance!!!

Fastmak :)
I'll get back to you !

Back