Break in period?

JDMSAMX - you recommended changing the oil at 500 miles. Did you just go to your dealer to have that changed or did you just do it yourself? Just wondering cause, I just passed 600 miles and I think I'll probably do the same.

Also, I heard you had to cool off your turbo after hard driving or long driving. My dealer recommends leaving it on for about 30 seconds before turning it off, but I've heard people suggesting leaving it on for as long as 5 minutes. What do you guys think?

i dont really agree with the whole rpms stuff.....you just shouldnt drive a continuous speed for awile....you gotta start, stop..etc...cuz you gotta break in the piston rings..and heat cyccle the clutch..so you should drive it with a lil bit of balls..

I thought it was funny....today I was in a Mazda 6 at the Rev it Up and these cars were getting totally abused...mine had 101 miles on it. How's that for broke in.

dude..i hear ya...my next car is gonna have like, 2 miles on it....in the plastic and all....the salesmen beat the ish outta the cars too...i know some guys at the local mitsu dealer..they were talkin about goin out in a new evo they had...gunnin it and whatnot...test drove a rsx-s...the guy took it out of the busy road..spun the tires and flew outta there.......then i test drove a wrx...it was a young salesman with me...kept on tellin me to get on it harder..its a new car! i know i couldnt break it..but still

p2-e2 said:
JDMSAMX - you recommended changing the oil at 500 miles. Did you just go to your dealer to have that changed or did you just do it yourself? Just wondering cause, I just passed 600 miles and I think I'll probably do the same.

Also, I heard you had to cool off your turbo after hard driving or long driving. My dealer recommends leaving it on for about 30 seconds before turning it off, but I've heard people suggesting leaving it on for as long as 5 minutes. What do you guys think?

add 1 second to driving above 3000 rpm and subtract 1 second below. hard to calculate> get a hks type 1 with built in auto timer.
general rule 30 - 60 sec city driving. 2-3 minutes long highway driving. yea i change my oil myself why am I gonna pay 25 bucks for a 10 dollar job? knowing the dumbass oil techs at places theyll prob over torque the filter and the drain plug.

Thanks for the tip!

I think I'll look into getting that hks type 1 turbo timer some time soon. I'm assuming I'll need to get the harness with it.

I did a search and found this website:

http://www.gruppe-s.com/Specials/ttimers.htm

Turbo Timer Type 1 HKS-4101-RA011 FREE SHIPPING + HARNESS Silver $120.00

I'm not sure if that's a good price for it but it's the best one I could find.

Alright, sounds good. I think I'll scrape up some cash and pick that up then.

TT Type 1 - US Spec HKS-4101-EX001 FREE SHIPPING + HARNESS Black $135.00

Sounds about right? Probably average price for it, but that's fine.

Thanks for the tip!

under 3000 RPM's for the first 500 miles? ha, yeah, that didnt happen...but she hasnt gone past 5000 RPM's either...

i blew my tranny and mazda gave me a new one, i have 240 miles on the new tranny. the first 200 miles i kept it like under 4000k, but latly i have been racing it .. do i have to break in my tranny and how many miles.

Back