Break-in period for Mazda Skyactiv G engine!?

Bellmeister

Premier Сasual Dating - Verified Damsels
:
Usa
I read that break in periods by manufacturers is not how to get best performance. I just wanted to share it to get feedback. Im not endorsing it or saying anything. I'm about to pick up a new Carbon Edition with 6 miles in...26 minutes.
Oh all this stuff about breaking engines in aggressively is by this dude. I know Skyactive may be different

Let me know what yall think!

I read that break in periods by manufacturers is not how to get best performance. I just wanted to share it to get feedback. Im not endorsing it or saying anything. I'm about to pick up a new Carbon Edition with 6 miles in...26 minutes.
Oh all this stuff about breaking engines in aggressively is by this dude. I know Skyactive may be different

Let me know what yall think!

Personally I think you should follow the Owner's Manual, which recommends against "racing" the car. If you somehow manage cause irreparable damage because you followed this guy's instructions, is he going to pay for a new engine? Doubt it.

You don't need to baby the car to "break it in". Just drive like you'd normally drive it, let it go through the RPM ranges normally. Do a few highway merges and exits. Avoid full WOT and cruising at the same RPM for long periods of time. That's what I did, and I'm coming up on 5 years and 90k kms with zero issues.

EDIT: I just checked out the site.. I know how this sounds, but it would be hard for me to take this advice seriously, considering that it's coming from a website that looks 25 years old and a lack of real documented proof (aside from a few pictures of random pistons). Again, his methods may work, but if they don't, and you damage your engine, you'll be the one who has to pay the repair bill, not him. YMMV.

Last edited:
You won't get more power from "breaking in" an engine. That's just silly.

If you want, you can do a few EARLY oil changes.

A new engine will wear a bit more early on and an early oil change might help a little to keep the oil in its best shape. Oil is cheap compared to an engine and extra oil changes never hurt.

Last edited:
You won't get more power from "breaking in" an engine. That's just silly.

If you want, you can do a few EARLY oil changes.

A new engine will wear a bit more early on and an early oil change might help a little to keep the oil in its best shape. Oil is cheap compared to and engine and extra oil changes never hurt.Common sense
Now that's common sense. (y)

I read parts of what this guy was writing about, and it goes against everything I've ever heard or seen or felt about breaking in an engine. In good conscious, I just cannot agree with this guy and his "run it hard" break in process.

I stopped reading when I saw this Q and A:
Q: What is the second most common cause of engine problems ???
A: An easy break in !!!

Seriously, the second most cause of engine problems is because it wasn't run hard when new? Where is the data to back up a silly statement like that? This statement caused me to lose all credibility with this guy.

Over 50 years of driving cars, I have never had an engine failure, ever. I've had lots of cars with lots of mileage. I've always driven new cars "carefully" for the first few 100 miles. No rapid acceleration, no red lining, and no constant driving at the same speed. I also do the first oil change early.

And that's not even getting into his statement about more power later on when you run it hard when new. He's talking about bikes here, not CX-5's or Toyota Corolla's.
Just a total crock, but that's just me. Feel free to disagree.

Back