Brakes Question

a61688

:
99 Mazda Protege 1.6L DX
Morning (EST) ladies and gents,

I have a 99 pro dx and was wondering if I could explain some of the symptoms I'm experiencing in the hopes of better understanding what's going on. When I first start my car in the cool morning, brake pedal feels firm, pads stop quickly. I have ebc redstuff ceramic pads with ebc slotted and dimpled rotors in the front and generic drums in the back. However, as the brakes get used more and the car is used towards the middle of the day, the brake pedal has quite a bit of play to it and the pads don't stop as quick. I guess I could use the term my mechanic used, brake fade. Here's my question: Could this be a matter of temperature affecting my brake lines/master cylinder or is it because i shouldn't have these types of brakes on my car like my mechanic insists on reminding me? I'm thinking it has to do with the fact that my brake lines/master cylinder are probably still original factory parts and are old/worn out. You guys are more knowledgeable than I am, what do you guys think?

Thank you for your time,
Alex

How old is your brake fluid? If its older some slight heat might be causing it to boil quickly. How do your brake lines look? Being that it's a 99 theres a good chance the lines have had it and are swelling. Both of those can contribute to brake fade if everything else is in good condition.

How old is your brake fluid? If its older some slight heat might be causing it to boil quickly. How do your brake lines look? Being that it's a 99 theres a good chance the lines have had it and are swelling. Both of those can contribute to brake fade if everything else is in good condition.

I don't think I've ever had to replace or top up the brake fluid at all. The car was given to me by its only other owner, my aunt, 6 years ago. Brake lines look fine when I look through my wheels. How should they feel/move if I were to pull them?

might as well...can always go even better and get set of Stainless Steel braided brake lines from one of our vendors here for $80 shipped. Might as well do that :D

When lines get old like that the rubber degrades and the lines can swell easily

might as well...can always go even better and get set of Stainless Steel braided brake lines from one of our vendors here for $80 shipped. Might as well do that :D

One final thing before I stop bothering you lol What would you replace in order if the lines and fluid are already done and the problem isn't fixed? That way I have a plan in place, in case this doesn't work out. I just want to make sure that I've done everything before I give up and listen to the mechanic (Don't really want to)

Back