Brake Problem!

Bebotech

:
2002 MP5
So, I bought a rear caliper rebuild kit for one of my P5 a couple of weeks ago. I went ahead and rebuild it installed everything back and the bleed the brakes and everything is working fine.

Now, this past week end I did the same with my other P5 but, this one did not turn out so well. I rebuilt the caliper installed it on the car bleed the brakes and now my pedal does not feel the

same and the ebrake handle has to be pulled all the way in order for the thing to engage. Has anyone had this problem and may have opinions to the solution? I would like for someone to help

me quick as the brakes are very important on a car and this is my daily driver.

That happened to me after I changed the rear calipers as well. Went back to normal after stepping on the brakes a couple times. How long has it been like this

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I finished the job around 9pm. I bleed the brakes and she sat all night, this morning is when a realised this was happening.

Drive it around a little and see if the pedal stiffens. When I changed mine my pedal had no force it just went straight down. After like 10 minutes of driving , it started to get preassure and went back to normal

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Raul, I drove it to work this morning about 17miles and it brakes just not like it used to. Also the ebrake is not as crisp as it was I have to pulled it all the way up for the ebrake to engage.

sounds like the piston has not been adjusted correctly. need to spin the adjuster nut to the brake disc, then back it off 1/4-1/3 turn.

That is the whole problem I did not touch the spin adjuster. I tried but it is seized so I decided to leave it alone since I had no need to touch it for the rebuild.

Could it be that I need to bleed again cause there is air still on the lines from when I removed the caliper to do the repair?

That is the whole problem I did not touch the spin adjuster. I tried but it is seized so I decided to leave it alone since I had no need to touch it for the rebuild.

if the adjuster is seized, that could cause the hand brake issue. air in the lines would cause the pedal to be squishy. you should have bought a re-manufactured caliper, instead of a rebuild kit.

Since I had done my other P5s caliper I thought I could do this one as well. What I don't understand is if I left everything the way it was regarding the adjuster why should it cause an issue with the ebrake? I did not move the adjuster on the other caliper I rebuilt and that went fine. Do you guys think there maybe air still in the lines? How does the ebrake work on these calipers?

Any one knows what is the correct allen key size for the ebrake adjuster bolt? I am going to try and soak it in WD-40 and try to remove it tonight.

Ok so last night I took the caliper out and parted it out again. Cleaned it very well and put it back together, I also got the allen adjuster screw to turn. Bleed the brakes and now the pedal is fine my problem now is that the caliper I rebuilt is not engaging the ebrake with the same grip as the other side. The rear passenger side caliper does not have the same grip as the rear right caliper when it comes to the ebrake. Does anyone have any thoughts? I am going to tighten the set screw all the way tonight to see if this solves the problem other than that I am out of ideas. Please provide opinions.

Don't adjust the allen key unless wheel is off the ground and you can ensure it you are not dragging a brake when p/b is off. ;)

Is it possible your other side is too tight (and dragging)?

I am glad you go the adjuster free-d up!

Ok so what do you recommend? loosening the other side and adjust or can I take care of the side that is giving me trouble without messing with the other. When you say drag what exactly do you mean?

You need to turn the ebrake adjustment screw until the pads just contact the rotor and the turn it back about a half turn. You should do this with the wheel off and some lugs on the studs to keep the rotor snug. If you find the ebrake does not hold well enough turn the adjustment screw in a bit more.

And they could be done individually? What about if this does not fix my problem. See the fork like bracket that hold the ebrake cable turns easier and more on the caliper I repaired.

Yes, start over on adjusting the brakes.
Adjust both.
Check p/b. Good? good.
Not enough? Tighten to adjust the 10mm nut (under the p/b handle cover).
Check once more that they release and hold well.

Now they should be good....

Back