BOV Placement

kcbhiw

What "Lifestyle"?
Contributor
:
64 Valves, 16 Cylinders, 7.2L, 622 HP
Where is the best place to install a BOV on the I/C to TB piping? Should it be placed closer to the intercooler or closer to the throttle body? My assumption is closer to the throttle body to sooner release the "shock".

This is for the turbo-Miata, but I figured you guys would be the best to ask :D .

well, if you look at the mazdaspeed miata setup and the FM turbo setup, the BOV is located right before the throttle body. i would put it there.

jflo said:
well, if you look at the mazdaspeed miata setup and the FM turbo setup, the BOV is located right before the throttle body. i would put it there.

Good call. I didn't think to look at those, doh. But that basically confirms my 'theory'.

After reading a bit more, I'm concered as to if I should use a BOV or BPV. Hmmm.

Thanks!!

no problem. for driveability, a recirculating BPV might be best i think. some BOVs tend to be for higher boost, but some can be tuned to work well and properly for low boost apps.

jflo said:
no problem. for driveability, a recirculating BPV might be best i think. some BOVs tend to be for higher boost, but some can be tuned to work well and properly for low boost apps.

I knew the BOV would create "issues" when I got to that stage in the game.

[ignance]

FWIW, I'm using the stock BOV that was in the Capri XR2 parts car. Is it possible to use that to recirculate (inlet, outlet, and vacuum/boost ports) or is a certain type of BOV required? If I can use that to recirc, where would I connect the outlet? I assume before the VAF.

[/ignance]

Note however, this car will be set up for track use only.

You can use any valve to re-circulate as long as you can create an air tight seal from the outlet to the inlet on your intake. I am currently recirculating a Greddy Type S on my MSP with no problems.

And you want to recirculate to a spot after the MAF so it doesn't measure the air twice.

i heard or read somewhere that the best placement is between 6-8 inches from the throttle body. thats where i put mine.

Back