Boring Daily Build

Very unproductive day today, I'm gonna blame it on the weather. Threw a coat of paint on the places needed, and got the end link on. Tie rod is wayyy to rusty to do anything with. I guess I could cut it but I don't want to do that without knowing I can get the inner loose or I'd really be screwed. Technically I can have it towed to school, for free through my insurance but I don't want to deal with that again, where we'd have it heated and loose in a minute.

Cutting the tie rod wouldn't really help.
It would just give you less metal to work with and you need something to pound and pry on.

You could break the ball free from the tie rod to get something to pound/clamp/pry on.

It's still seized in the knuckle right?

What it would do for me is then I could take off the boot and disconnect the inner and then put the new inner and outer on and I'd be good. Right now I can't remove the inner without removing the outer which is seized to the inner. So cutting it would eliminate that problem.

So if you don't need to reuse any of the parts then cutting it makes sense.

Do the inner and outer tie rods make up the entire assembly?

Yes, outer goes to inner, inner goes to steering ?rack? something steering lol

That may be what has to happen I just really hope I can get the inner loose but I guess if I can't I'll have bigger problems anyway.

I've done outer tie rod ends but not inner.

I don't really know what's what.

Here's a picture anyway.

They're not showing any special shop tools (SST) for the tie rods...

Yes, I got it out with the socket like you suggested. I had to get it out to fit the new (longer) control arm in since it was toed in.

Maybe I won't need the tool but looking at it today it looks pretty tight to get a wrench on, so I may pick up the tool tomorrow just in case, it's free so I'd rather get it on my way home than make an extra trip.

I think you should just cut it off.
Reefing on that nut might stress the inner components of the steering rack.

A 93 Protege with 570,xxx miles just sold for $90 at auction. Anyways I'll head out to start working as soon as I'm ready to brave the cold.

I cut the outer off and got the inner boot off. By the looks of it I have to pry up on those clips to get the inner out but I don’t want to bend them. I can’t see how I would get the removal tool on without getting the clips out of the way. You can see on the new one how the tool would hold onto the flat spots and turn it
FCF23CEA-8513-4BD4-8C16-2B22708CE69D.jpeg
4A99E2FF-2622-4F58-AA79-97077356696A.jpeg
68AACDB4-151F-442A-AA12-F736BF3D7FB3.jpeg

I'm guessing the clips need to be unhooked and they're what locks it in place so it doesn't unthread on its own after it's installed.
Either way you probably have to remove the clip.

It looks like spring type material that's designed to bend and spring back into shape.

It probably won't unthread with the clip connected you probably wreck the clip if you tried unthreaded with the clip on
It's a bit like a cotter pin.

Just read the post...

I dunno, ... New lock washers sound like a good idea.

I don't think that's a corner I would cut.

I haven't tried unthreading, my lock washer is untouched. Theres not really any good way to unthread without the tool.

Only one brand on Rockauto comes with the lock washer, for whatever reason Moog doesn't. I'll check the package again. I can't find the washer sold separately anywhere.

I really want to get this thing off jack stands before my neighbors really hate me but I guess I'm gonna have to order the lock washer...

Back