Blind Spot Monitors - the feature that cries, "Wolf!" once too often?

:
Mazda CX-5 AWD Touring 2018
I'm disappointed in this feature because it extends about 2-3 car lengths behind the back of this vehicle, when it should be approximately half of that.

You've got the lights (and audible indicator, for those who keep it turned on) indicating a "blind spot" vehicle far too frequently, IMO. I feel as if it's becoming white noise that I don't take seriously enough anymore because there are too many false indications.

Wish there was a way to shorten this indication path length, not unlike how you can adjust the cruise control for 1-2-3 car length distances ahead of you.

Never having a vehicle with this feature before, are there others which have a proper blind spot length?

Basically, I think it should extend one vehicle length behind your car and no further.

Sorry if this is a subject that's already been hashed out here (didn't think to search the forum until reaching this point of my post).

I agree and it’s something that was noted in most reviews of the car. I have blind spot monitoring on the GTI also and it’s more reasonable in it’s distance imo. I feel like their lane Jeep was executed much better.

Someone here said the dealer can modify the sensitivity. I cant verify that though. I will definitely ask next time I go because its a lot more sensitive than it was on gen1

As previous stated if they didn't make it sensitive and an accident happens, then Mazda get blamed.

Damned if Mazda do, damned if Mazda don't

Anyone remember drivers education?
Ok to change lanes when you can see both headlights of the car in the lane you are changing into... ?

Ok to change lanes when you can see both headlights of the car in the lane you are changing into... ?

Or you must look over your shoulder and not rely on your mirrors

Ok to change lanes when you can see both headlights of the car in the lane you are changing into - in your rear view mirror.

The two headlights thing is nice and that’s what I was taught. But if you follow that you’re never getting over.......

It’s worth noting the 2 headlight thing is about the distance Mazda’s blind spot monitoring wants. I’m sure that’s proper and safe it’s just not practical in heavy traffic.

The BSM is speed dependent and the detection zone varies between approximately 3 to 30 feet depending on how fast a vehicle is approaching.

Attachments

• BSM.pdf
    688.6 KB · Views: 161
Not here. Requirement is always to look over ones shoulder

Same in New Jersey as well. Must be a state to state thing in the US? I always look because technology is great until it fails! In the future whos fault is it when two self driving cars get into an accident. (uhm)

Technology like this is to assist not replace what we are supposed to do

As previous stated if they didn't make it sensitive and an accident happens, then Mazda get blamed.

I don't think that's it. Even in the litigious USA I sincerely doubt any kind of litigation towards Mazda (or any car company) over a failure to have BSM properly notify you thereby causing an accident would be remotely successful.

The blind spot monitor system in the 2017 and up models are more advanced over the 2016 and below models. I didn't read Anchorman's PDF but it might be saying the same thing. Basically what I have noticed is that the BSM in my 2016 CX-5 and 2013 Mazdaspeed3 functions the same way. Above 18-20 mph it will activate if there is car in your blind spot. The blind spot detection range is reasonable.

In the 2017 CX-5 that my parents have, the blind spot detection range has been increased significantly. Now if there is a car that is quickly approaching you from behind, the blind spot monitor system will alert you earlier. So say you were going the speed limit (60 mph) and you wanted to change lanes. Another car in the left lane is going 80 mph and is fast approaching you from behind. The BSM will alert you earlier in this situation so you don't change lane into a speeding car.

Technology like this is to assist not replace what we are supposed to do

Simply stated, and to the point. Bravo.

I can't say it enough of how many times I see people changing lanes, backing up, turning, etc., without ever looking over their shoulder these days.

Yup approach speed is a factor and this is described in the manual.

Anyone else have it go off when you’re in a multi lane turn intersection?

You definitely need to look with loop onramps it often misses those cars.

I’ve noticed this as well. Now, when I settle into the parallel merge lane, I wait a few seconds for the BSD to lock and then do a visual shoulder check if nothing shows.

Simply stated, and to the point. Bravo.

I can't say it enough of how many times I see people changing lanes, backing up, turning, etc., without ever looking over their shoulder these days.

The reason my CX-5 is in the body shop is because someone was trusting their backup sensors too much....... got backed into whilst parked. It was my sisters father in law driving a Navigator....... his excuse the thing didn’t beep.......

Back