Back-Up Camera Image Quality

The rear view camera is there to assist you. You still have to turn your heads to see your surroundings. It's not there to replace your laziness...

Sorry I wasn't clear about the usage I have in mind. I totally agree with you, of course, and I always check the blind spots by turning head even with BSM. For one thing, BSM doesn't tell me there's a fast approaching vehicle from far behind that hasn't entered the blind spot yet... Neither does it tell me another vehicle TWO lanes away (assuming multiple lanes) is trying to switch to the same lane as I do. Only turning one's head can ensure safe / defensive driving... So we're in perfect agreement.

Should have mentioned the said feature I'm looking for is to be used when car is in Park mode only. Trying to check out (potentially suspicious) activities around me, or simply when car behind is getting too close to mine.

Yeah... the CX-5's reverse camera in my '15 is subpar compared to the one on in my '07 G35X but it works for what it is.

I miss the lines that don't turn with the steering wheel in my Infiniti. I only have the left image and not surround in that car.

maxresdefault.jpg

My miss my 370Z's, it did the same. Probably identical units. That said, I find my CX-5's completely adequate.

+1. It's almost like some people need 4k HD resolution for the 10 seconds they're actually going to use this thing.

I'm super happy with the 2015 backup camera (which is the same infotainment system as 2014 & before). My earlier remarks only apply to the 2016.5 MY which has noticeable "degradation" from preceding years, but then as mentioned it didn't take long before I started loving the 16 unit since it's totally functional and usable. Pointing those out only to share some observations in the 15 to 16 transition.

I'm super happy with the 2015 backup camera (which is the same infotainment system as 2014 & before). My earlier remarks only apply to the 2016.5 MY which has noticeable "degradation" from preceding years, but then as mentioned it didn't take long before I started loving the 16 unit since it's totally functional and usable. Pointing those out only to share some observations in the 15 to 16 transition.
I had a 2016 for a day a few weeks ago when I recently had mine in the shop and the camera was noticeably brighter and more defined than my 2014, so I guess they made some kind of upgrade.

Latest posts

Back