Mazda CX-5 comparison test drives

Just came out (first reported here Auto Navigator with Capital One ) that they are going to have a new, lower priced trim of the CR-V. It isn't on the build configurator yet. The FWD CR-V is still more expensive than a AWD CX-5.

Not a fan of the styling. I think it looks boring and generic (click for full resolution).

2107-hero-2023-honda-cr-v-front.jpg

Just came out (first reported here Auto Navigator with Capital One ) that they are going to have a new, lower priced trim of the CR-V. It isn't on the build configurator yet. The FWD CR-V is still more expensive than a AWD CX-5.

Not a fan of the styling. I think it looks boring and generic (click for full resolution).

Is it me it do the New hondas look like they're trying to copy the mazda ? Not doing a good job of it but definitely copying the slimmer lights, mesh grill, etc.

In the states they start with the EX trim now instead of LX, so assume they’d either bring back the LX or maybe have a special edition, but Honda special editions usually don’t come out until the 3rd year of a body style. The EX is pretty well spec’d for a base trim model, but they also have cut some “classic” EX features like they did with the Civic and probably other models. I personally wouldn’t want anything less than an EX, if not EX-L…

Is it me it do the New hondas look like they're trying to copy the mazda ? Not doing a good job of it but definitely copying the slimmer lights, mesh grill, etc.
Yeah, I can see it. Even the red looks like it’s trying to get closer to our world famous Mazda red.

Certainly seems that way. The lower half of the front bumper looks a lot like the CX-90's front bumper. To me, all the horizontal elements kind of make the front look flat and/or sleepy. At least in that photo.

Plan to test drive several more vehicles, including the newer Mazda CX line(turbo's only as the turbo engine head problems were re-designed/fixed and CD engines could still have unknown problems)
Below is short list of possible test drive vehicles over next several weeks. List will be narrowed based on $$, comfortable seating, powertrain reliability and safety features then test drive the rest.
Will post any test drive comparisons

Toyota Rav4
Lexus UX, NX & RX
Subaru Crosstrek
Subaru Forester
Newer Mazda CX-5 turbo only
Mazda CX-50 turbo only
Ford Bronco
Ford Escape
Ford Maverick
Jeeps
Audi Q3
Lincoln Corsair
Buicks Envision
Volvo XC40 & 60

** Nissan Rogue and Hyundai Tucson were small, cramped and uncomfortable seating on past test drives with lackluster acceleration. Recent Honda test drive was unimpressive and lackluster acceleration. and the Chevys just look like crap.

Last edited:
jack rabbit, have you considered forester? they have gotten a lot nicer than they used to be. i haven't driven one of the newest generation models, but i have driven '14-17 models and had a '16 forester xt before the cx-5.

I second this.

I was considering one before buying the CX-5. I just don't like that they dropped the turbo engine.

I second this.

I was considering one before buying the CX-5. I just don't like that they dropped the turbo engine.
i had a '16 forester xt with the turbo engine. it definitely is more powerful and fun, but the gas mileage was pretty bad. even driving conservatively, the thing drank like buzz aldrin, and it took premium fuel (i used midgrade most of the time; running regular fuel was ill-advised - gas mileage w/ premium was not better than w/ midgrade in my experience). the whole time i had the car (well after the first couple of months), i was wishing i had gotten a non-turbo model.

i had a '16 forester xt with the turbo engine. it definitely is more powerful and fun, but the gas mileage was pretty bad. even driving conservatively, the thing drank like buzz aldrin, and it took premium fuel (i used midgrade most of the time; running regular fuel was ill-advised - gas mileage w/ premium was not better than w/ midgrade in my experience). the whole time i had the car (well after the first couple of months), i was wishing i had gotten a non-turbo model.

damn.

I have family that have the newer models, and they ride nicely. The pick and go really good for a 2.0 NA, I think is the AWD with CVT makes it takes off nicely.

damn.

I have family that have the newer models, and they ride nicely. The pick and go really good for a 2.0 NA, I think is the AWD with CVT makes it takes off nicely.
Where are you? Here in the US the forester only comes with a 2.5 liter engine.

I think that every brand is copying each other with the aggressive mesh grille and thin headlights. Acura, lexus, jeep etc (more the headlights than the grille, but still) Also, I also didn't find the cx-50 seats uncomfortable at all when I test drove it twice. In regards to the forester, I drove a friends current-gen one in colorado, and getting on the highway (with less power at altitude) the CVT was droning pretty annoyingly, but otherwise it drove really well on and off road. The power was plenty for anything other than merging though. Much less engaging than the cx-5, but still enjoyable and simple to drive.

Last edited:
Plan to test drive several more vehicles, including the newer Mazda CX line(turbo's only as the turbo engine head problems were re-designed/fixed and CD engines could still have unknown problems)
Below is short list of possible test drive vehicles over next several weeks. List will be narrowed based on $$, comfortable seating, powertrain reliability and safety features then test drive the rest.
Will post any test drive comparisons

Toyota Rav4
Lexus UX, NX & RX
Subaru Crosstrek
Subaru Forester
Newer Mazda CX-5 turbo only
Mazda CX-50 turbo only
Ford Bronco
Ford Escape
Ford Maverick
Jeeps
Audi Q3
Lincoln Corsair
Buicks Envision
Volvo XC40 & 60

** Nissan Rogue and Hyundai Tucson were small, cramped and uncomfortable seating on past test drives with lackluster acceleration. Recent Honda test drive was unimpressive and lackluster acceleration. and the Chevys just look like crap.

Lexus NX/RX is too much money for what you get, IMO.
CX-50 Turbo should not be considered based on your CX-5 experience. It's stiffer/sportier than the CX-5.
I'm really surprised you would even consider the Ford Maverick given how new it is. The few reviews I've seen also mention how stiff the suspension can be.
I read that the Corsair had a ton of initial production issues, you'll want to be sure it's up to your standards before you go any further.
RAV4 or Envision makes the most sense for you, I think.

Me included, there’re a lot of people who used to be the die-hard Honda fan.

Honda has lost its market and reputation not just in the US, but worldwide.

It's unfortunate but I agree. It's a good thing they have plenty of brand loyalty to fall back on, like Toyota.

CX-50 Turbo should not be considered based on your CX-5 experience. It's stiffer/sportier than the CX-5.
I'm really surprised you would even consider the Ford Maverick given how new it is. The few reviews I've seen also mention how stiff the suspension can be.
I read that the Corsair had a ton of initial production issues, you'll want to be sure it's up to your standards before you go any further.

It's unfortunate but I agree. It's a good thing they have plenty of brand loyalty to fall back on, like Toyota.
I did not find that to be the case. I test drove a CX50 and CX5 both turbos (and also a non turbo cx5) back to back and did not think it was stiffer or sportier in fact might have been softer then the CX5. I liked how the CX50 looked but liked how the CX5 felt. I chose the CX5 turbo. It is my wife's vehicle and she agreed the CX5 turbo was the right pick. I personally tried to sway her towards a Bronco (not the sport) or Rubicon (I have had 4 rubicons all built for crawling) she said no lol. I have to say I like driving the CX5 so far.

I did not find that to be the case. I test drove a CX50 and CX5 both turbos (and also a non turbo cx5) back to back and did not think it was stiffer or sportier in fact might have been softer then the CX5. I liked how the CX50 looked but liked how the CX5 felt. I chose the CX5 turbo. It is my wife's vehicle and she agreed the CX5 turbo was the right pick. I personally tried to sway her towards a Bronco (not the sport) or Rubicon (I have had 4 rubicons all built for crawling) she said no lol. I have to say I like driving the CX5 so far.

Sorry I should have clarified. The auto reviews I have seen mention the stiffer/sportier suspension, specifically on back roads or poor roads, possibly to prevent bottoming the car out? But also likely due to the rear torsion beam suspension. On regular paved roads, it's reported to be just as good as the CX-5's suspension.

Sorry I should have clarified. The auto reviews I have seen mention the stiffer/sportier suspension, specifically on back roads or poor roads, possibly to prevent bottoming the car out? But also likely due to the rear torsion beam suspension. On regular paved roads, it's reported to be just as good as the CX-5's suspension.
The tires make a difference too. On my CX-50, I ripped both nearside tires on a protruding curb (ugh) and changed them all to Continental DWS UHP all seasons. Even though the originals were touring tires, the DWS's are smoother and quieter. Just drove 1000 miles to Florida and the only time the tires were noisy was when riding on that rough tarmac that has a rolled-in stone surface (Georgia). That was pretty loud!

as has been alluded to, it's good to get insight from us members, but everyone (including the people who review cars) has their own biased opinion on things, including suspension feel, seat comfort, brand image, etc. back when i had a (very pre-owned) '13 lexus es350, i got a loaner '18 rx350 for a couple of weeks while they were fixing something on the es. i did not want to return the rx, it was such a nice ride. very quiet and comfortable, nice supple ride, nice engine sound, amazing stereo system, tons of room for me (note i've never had a midsized suv before). the only things that could be knocked about it, in my opinion, are that it's not exciting to drive, and it's not the best on gas (though decent for a midsized suv of its era). the V6 in that rx was nice, probably slightly slower than my es, but not by much. i'm not sure if it's too much money for that car, but i wasn't paying for it. i later looked high and low for used '16 and newer rx350s and the other rx models (hybrid etc.), but they were priced too high for me. i even considered the older models, though i didn't care for the looks of them, other than maybe the f-sport models. if i could afford a lightly used newer one for ~$30k, i'd highly consider it.

I’m still on the fence about the cx50 and since there is no dealership near me that has one available, I’m going to keep wondering. I still have my eye on getting a 2022 or 2023 CX9 Signature next year (slightly used). Though I was surprised by how much road noise on the highway was still making it into the cabin compared to the 2023 Chevy Blazer I had test drove before. Both had the 20” wheels on them.

Back