AWD vs FWD Q&A

My friend's father always used to say "4WD/AWD just gets you stuck deeper and farther away".
That quote made me laugh outloud! Love it!

Last edited:
and you will pay a little more for insurance.

Still can't understand the concept of charging more for the AWD model. It's ludicrous.
Everyone knows in crash avoidance, rear-wheel drive is better than all-wheel-drive which is better than front-wheel-drive.

The safety benefits of AWD caused insurance to be lower in most cases in Australia. I dare say that it's common place to have lower insurance in Europe as well.

If insurance companies in the US did their research, they would realise they are incorrectly penalising.

Still can't understand the concept of charging more for the AWD model. It's ludicrous.
Everyone knows in crash avoidance, rear-wheel drive is better than all-wheel-drive which is better than front-wheel-drive.

The safety benefits of AWD caused insurance to be lower in most cases in Australia. I dare say that it's common place to have lower insurance in Europe as well.

If insurance companies in the US did their research, they would realise they are incorrectly penalising.

There are lots of variables involved, but from what I understand, it all boils down to the statistics. In this case, as you mentioned, the AWD may be safer in some respects. However, the insurance company looks at the cost of claims, in addition to the probability that there will be a claim. Perhaps the AWD vehicle has greater cost to repair, it has higher replacement cost, maybe the AWD driver puts the vehicle into a situation that a FWD person wouldn't, etc. etc. I would love to see side by side what the cost to insure each version would be.

I think you're very well justified in getting it.

I gave Texans hell when they used to tell me 4WD was manditory for them because of the bad rain they get. BWAHHAHA what a joke.

BUT, since you live in a region where you could easily find yourself off road, on various grades of incline AND possible poor road conditions, I'd say it's worth it. Like someone mentioned, it holds its value if or when you decide to move on to a new vehicle.

Last edited:
There are lots of variables involved, but from what I understand, it all boils down to the statistics. In this case, as you mentioned, the AWD may be safer in some respects. However, the insurance company looks at the cost of claims, in addition to the probability that there will be a claim. Perhaps the AWD vehicle has greater cost to repair, it has higher replacement cost, maybe the AWD driver puts the vehicle into a situation that a FWD person wouldn't, etc. etc. I would love to see side by side what the cost to insure each version would be.

Your point is valid.
I believe there would be very little difference between repairing the two models when it comes to a crash.

I suspect any difference in insurance costing in Australia at least, would come to the AWD model costing more to purchase (and therefore replace in a new for old write-off).

Here with the snow we see much more 4WD/AWD/SUV vehicles in the ditch than regular cars, probably because they feel safer and aren't careful enough. I'd see that as a good reason for a premium on the AWD insurance.

Here with the snow we see much more 4WD/AWD/SUV vehicles in the ditch than regular cars, probably because they feel safer and aren't careful enough. I'd see that as a good reason for a premium on the AWD insurance.

that's because they are retarded for thinking that AWD is a substitute for snow tires / common sense. i've literally driven circles around AWD vehicles with all-seasons in my protege with snow tires.

do you need AWD? no.

can it be helpful in bad weather? only with the right tires.

For whatever reason most people I bump into think that AWD helps you not slide off the road and stop faster in the snow. They are reluctant to believe me when I say that all it helps you do is accelerate faster in snow.

I've only been in one situation where I could have really used AWD, but I did manage with FWD. It was a stop light on a steep incline that was also sloping at least 25-30*to the side. Snow storm of the century and the road had not been plowed yet with about 1ft of slippery mushed down slush. Had my mazda3 with all seasons and TC off and was fighting sliding down the slope as I accelerated trying to make it up the hill. Not that I could have gone anywhere too fast as every other car infront of me was having the same if not worse problem than me. I was LOL'ing at the honda civic with summer rims/tires on. I dont think he made it up, or the old mustang with bald rears...

I'd rather take the lower price + +lower weight + lower maintenance costs + lower gas costs of a FWD over AWD car. These crossovers have deep treads which make snow travel much easier than most FWD cars.

I chose the AWD because I spend a lot of time camping, hunting, and fishing...having AWD is certainly no substitute for common sense and smart driving, but I find myself going places that I could get to with a FWD, but where AWD/4WD is a safer bet.

So far in driving mine, there seems to be little impact on fuel economy vs. the CX-5 FWD.

I chose the AWD because I spend a lot of time camping, hunting, and fishing...having AWD is certainly no substitute for common sense and smart driving, but I find myself going places that I could get to with a FWD, but where AWD/4WD is a safer bet.

So far in driving mine, there seems to be little impact on fuel economy vs. the CX-5 FWD.

Agreed, and resale value is usually better too (being a SUV in US market).

MPG difference is small (apples to apples comparison of top-selling auto tranny versions per EPA ratings) is 1 mpg, city/highway/combined.

Agree with Army and CX-SV - I'm into the surf sports and drive on sandy beaches at times and no thanks to FWD on sandy beaches. I've seen many FWD's get stuck and need a tow and have yet to see an AWD need a tow. I agree that tires are a bigger factor in snow but comparing apples to apples each car having the same tires, the AWD adds a measure of grip to get out of slippery situations. And definitely having AWD doesn't mean one can go "faster" or travel with more "grip" in slushy conditions.

I am fine with my FWD cx5 but I don't want to argue with my MRS. She wants a AWD, the end of story.

I think that bottom line is snow tires are the real key. I don't do any off roading or hauling. It is all up to the driver in the end. Awd doesn't make you you invincible. To me it's nice to have but not necessary unless you off road or drive in major terrain. Fwd with a pair of snows along with good common sence when driving is the best way to go. You can still haul a small boat or trailor with a fwd by te way

I once watched one of those car shows on TV and a statement was made: AWD or 4WD is only getting you stuck farther from the road.... I also know the CX5 is not an all terrain vehicle so for me FWD is good enough. Remember in snow a AWD drive vehicle stops just as slow as a FWD - if it is muddy roads or snow/ice all I can say is: Think of investing in some good Winter tires or M/S level tires.

If you have a choice of FWD and change to winter tyres or AWD and dont change tyres, always choose the FWD option!

I watch a video recently showing a hill climbing test with a kuga.

With winter tyres on the fwd version it climbed further up the slope than the awd with summer tyres.

However when the awd was fitted with winter tyres, it left the fwd in its wake and reached the peak.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mfuE00qdhLA

Its a shame the cx-5 system isn't as good as the Nissan Xtrail, which detects slip in less than one rev of the wheel, and is fitted with all season tyres.

It would be nice to see a test with the new Xtrail.

Last edited:
AWD, EBS and all other gizmos I have on my 2014 AWD CX-5 - Grand Touring are all good - First for your piece of mind . You stand a confident drive in foul weather.
Second - The drive feel is much better . Other than that you need to be mindful while driving . Cannot really trust these electronics. They need time to kick in ( probably milliseconds) . Why I am saying these ? Had the first snow on the road -Not even an inch. But was really cold . Was coming down a moderate hill , say 35 degrees incline at 30 MPH . The car went for a a slight twist/mini-slide suddenly ( BLACK ICE?) . I had to remain calm and managed to stay straight with my steering . No light flashed or anything like that ! I do not believe anything from the car kicked in to stabilize it .

Last edited:
AWD, EBS and all other gizmos I have on my 2014 AWD CX-5 - Grand Touring are all good - First for your piece of mind . You stand a confident drive in foul weather.
Second - The drive feel is much better . Other than that you need to be mindful while driving . Cannot really trust these electronics. They need time to kick in ( probably milliseconds) . Why I am saying these ? Had the first snow on the road -Not even an inch. But was really cold . Was coming down a moderate hill , say 35 degrees incline at 30 MPH . The car went for a a slight twist/mini-slide suddenly ( BLACK ICE?) . I had to remain calm and managed to stay straight with my steering . No light flashed or anything like that ! I do not believe anything from the car kicked in to stabilize it .

No system can overcome the laws of physics. These systems are often promoted as safer, but AWD and TCS really only helps with accelerating on low grip surfaces and at least one tire has something to touch. If you start to slide, there is nothing that can be done until rubber meets a surface it can grip.

Steep snowy/icy hills require AWD with dedicated winter tires IMO. FWD or RWD limited slip w/dedicated winters is probably next best and def. better than most ppl w/AWD and bad 3/4+ worn out A/S's who are convinced they don't need winter tires because of an AWD system which is stupid and wrong. I didn't even bother to see how my nearly new Toyos would do because I can't dick around, travel 40 miles one way and need to make it into work blizzard or not.

Last edited:
^^ This. The stock Toyos were actually pretty good accelerating on ice (didn't try stopping though). However I always use winter tires and will never go back. If you can afford a vehicle like the CX5 with AWD... you can afford winter tires. Actually in places with significant snow everyone should get winters.

Back