CX-5 Signature Vs Audi Q3

Pitter

Pitter
Contributor
:
2020 CX-5 Signature Azul Metalico
Wondering is the 2020 Signature might be comparable to the Audi Q3. I see there are many versions of the Q3 in different countries but my query is limited to Colombia where the hottest version probably isn't sold. So I am wondering, if comparison is legitiimate what the Q3 might have over the Signature of the same year. Any thoughts?

Having just looked at their Colombia page it looks like 2022 version was offered with a turbo 180hp engine so maybe I need to move the comparison up a notch. So looks like the (Colombia) Q5 offers 249hp. Now my question narrows to what other aspects might make the Q5 superior to a Signature? Maybe better awd system?

Last edited:
I generally like Audi's designs, so if you're a CX-5 and Audi shopper, you have good taste.

With that said, the total cost of ownership, especially skewed by repair costs, keeps me in the Mazda camp.

Experience:
Leased 2019 CX5 Signature, when lease was over I purchased a 23 Audi Q3. Less than a year later I’ve purchased a used 23 Signature and traded in the Q3.

When it comes to the Q3 I purchased the top trim with all options but it is still very underpowered in my opinion. The transmission had odd behavior, sometimes it’s very smooth and quick to shift other times not so much. After a while I tried tuning the vehicle, that made it even louder in the engine bay. You can’t get ventilated seats, heated steering wheel, remote start, headlights only auto level they do not swivel, leather feels less luxurious than the CX5. The tires on mine cupped at 12k and I ended up replacing all 4 with Michelins which made it much improved. The brakes also have many TSBs for issues with noise - mine have this loud rumble when coming to an extended stop. The service departments classify everything as normal behavior. Overall just a bad experience with the q3.

When it comes to the CX5, in the signature trim you get more features than you do with the top trim Q3. At least more features that I care about. It’s more fun to drive and feels much quicker than the Q3. The torque is always “ready” if that makes sense. The ventilated seats, heated steering wheel, and remote start are great as is the heads up display. Additionally the blind spot monitoring on the CX5 I prefer to how the Q3 handles it. The Q3 NSTSA info shows it fails on a few of the safety tech features. I can tell you the CX5 will stop you/warn you are pre collision much better than the Q3. One thing I do miss is the auto lane centering. The Audi is superior at this and can hold you center of lane without your assistance.

If you have further questions let me know, I’m sure I can elaborate further.

Warning: Rant/long response:

We had a 2018 Q3 Premium and a 2018 Q5 Premium and now have a 2023 CX-5 CE.

We traded the Q3 after we moved because I needed a truck. It was trouble free during the time we had it for 3 years and 36K miles. I never had any complaints about the Q3 as it was my daily driver. The (US) 200hp was acceptable, it was quiet, and had more comfortable seats than the Q5.

The Q5 was a different story. The (US) 252hp was very nice. It squeaked and rattled from day one. It was in for multiple warranty issues and recalls. Once it hit 60K miles, things got very expensive. The engine mounts had to be replaced at 66K. Cost was $1200 at an indy shop. At 68K, the turbo failed. Actually only the wastegate actuator failed but it is a non serviceable part so the entire turbo/exhaust manifold had to be replaced at a cost of $2500 at the dealer. My indy shop was not able to diagnose the problem with confidence and recommeded taking it to the dealer. The turbo assembly was on backorder, it took over 7 weeks to get a part. The dealer had been waiting over 4 months to get parts for other customers.

NOTE: On the 2018 Q3 the actuator could have been replaced for ~$200 - $300.

Then there were the list of issues other people were were having at a pretty high rate that were $$$ to fix out of warranty.
- LCAs that wear prematurely
- Rear springs that break
- Water pumps leaking (class action settlement to extend warranty to 8 years, 80K)
- Thermostat housings failing (not covered by class action settlement)

Anyway, we had to have a car while waiting on the turbo assembly so we bit the bullet and bought the CX-5. Once the Q5 was repaired, we sold it to the dealership. Their offer was $600 more than CarMax. We have had 3 other Mazdas with no issues. I was not wanting another turbo and did not want a CVT transmission, so it narrowed the choices down very quickly.

Thank you very much for the replies. With the problems reported with the Q5 in the US I can't imagine the horrors of ownership here in Colombia. I thought there must be some significant advantages with the Q5 taking into account a big price difference but evidently not. Glad I have my Signature.

So I've had the 2021 CX-5 Grand Touring (no turbo but nice features) for 2.5 years, and a close family member of mine just bought a 2024 Q5 with 261 horsepower 2 weeks ago. As other people mentioned from experience/speculation, I would speculate that the Q5 would be much more expensive to maintain, but that's sort of a given with most luxury cars in my mind.

In terms of advantages to the Q5 disregarding maintenance, it feels much quieter and isolated from the road. The steering is much quicker and easier (to me that's a downside as I like the engagement of the CX-5's steering weight). It is quicker (at least the US version) than the turbo CX-5, but not by a huge margin. The overall feel is just more premium, with lumbar that goes up and down, thigh extensions, the audi rings that illuminate on the ground, and how it feels put together very well (the CX-5 feels great in that regard, but the Q5 does feel even that step more solid/refined)

Personally if you're looking for an alternative to the CX-5 but a bit more luxurious, yet doesn't have insane maintenance stories like Audi's do, I'd consider the Acura RDX (idk if they're sold in Colombia) - I'm no pro, but it being a Honda under the skin would make me comfortable with the maintenance/reliability, I've heard it drives well, and has 272hp in the US. My family member that has the Q5 had '17 MDX for about 7 years and it was reliable except for a weird electrical issue around 6 years/80k miles (it didn't prevent us from driving till we got it fixed though, just affected auto high beams etc.), but it handled well even being a ginormous SUV, and was a great car for our family! (Sorry for such a long response!)

Last edited:
Thank you very much for that. No I'm not looking to change vehicles but I was curious as I see Qs on the road here. You've certainly answered my question regarding what the Q5 has over the Signature which is what I was looking for.

We had a 2011 Q5 and a 2016 Q5, (no real issues with either) my wife was set on getting another one but I convinced her to look at the CX5 a couple of days ago and now we own one. We got the carbon turbo and quite like it, a similar spec'd Audi was about 17k more. The Q5 / MX5 are quite similar as far as size, interior space etc.

The last Mazda I had was a 2003 mazdaspeed protege, since then I have had 5 Audis and 2 Porsches, 2 Jeeps and 2 Citroen's. I was quite impressed with the interior of the MX5 I love the Terracotta interior, the heads up display, the turning headlights etc. The only negative thing I have to say is about the stupid infotainment system, how is it possible that it such crap and not be touchscreen? .... I mean who puts in a touchscreen and then doesn't use it? the CarPlay works great though.

Back