ATP Turbo upgrade install with lots of pics!

buit9110

:
Mazdaspeed 6
ok so so the install took 2 days. and around 15 hours of work, we took it slow and we made sure everything was alright, please if you don't have a lot of time and a spare car to get some parts from a pep boys or some other auto store please do not do this. you must also have a lot of tools including that 14mm adjustable racheting wrench, it saved our lives.

ok so here it goes:

here is our test subject (my car :) )
car.JPG

take the intercooler off, just unbolt the nuts and unscrew the clamps
gt3071%2001.JPG

gt3071%2002.JPG

then take the battery off with a 10mm wrench and then remove the tray underneath.
gt3071%2003.JPG

pic of the intercooler off
gt3071%2004.JPG

pic of the intake off
gt3071%2005.JPG

here is mike and kurfgator taking off the heatshelds and the stock inlet pipe.
gt3071%2006.JPG

pic of the stock inlet, which by the way is very restrictive.
gt3071%2007.JPG

remove that little harness on the bottom left and remove the rest of the heatshields.
gt3071%2008.JPG

thats me working on removing the exhaust manifold. REMOVE THE HOOD!!!!!! it'll save you a lot of time!
gt3071%2009.JPG

lots of pb blaster and the manifold to turbo studs removed.
gt3071%2010.JPG

some crazy ways we found to remove the exhaust manifold nuts, they are very very very very tight.
gt3071%2011.JPG

gt3071%2024.JPG

exhaust manifold removed.
gt3071%2012.JPG

my integraded toolbox/windshield.
gt3071%2013.JPG

pic of everything removed.
gt3071%2014.JPG

Last edited:
oil line, bottom and top, coolant line on the right of the pic. by the way you will loose coolant. not much oil.
gt3071%2015.JPG

pics of kurfgator garage, incredible by the way, any tool imaginable.
gt3071%2016.JPG

gt3071%2017.JPG

modify the oil return line because the bolts that fit the turbo are thicker.
gt3071%2018.JPG

install the exhaust manifold again. this is very tricky and very hard. install the turbo studs after you have inserted the exhaust manifold and all the studs are in, you dont have to put the nuts because there has to be some play for the alignment between the manifold and the turbo but make sure all the studs are inserted in the manifold.
gt3071%2019.JPG

install the inlet pipe and the stock air box. kurfgator modified my aem intake and made it a short ram, which i liked and he also modified the heatshield because it will not fit properly since the intake side of the turbo is bigger.
gt3071%2020.JPG

gt3071%2025.JPG

Last edited:
kurfgator had to make a custom intercooler hose because the one i recieved was too short, he also put the quick tap there for the EBC.
gt3071%2021.JPG

install the intercooler back along with the battery, which by the way, the battery tray will only allow one bolt to be tightened since the inlet pipe is thicker and will get in the way along with some wiring harnesses.
gt3071%2022.JPG

finally install the hood back up and make sure that all of your clamps, nut and so on and so forth are properly tightened.
here is a pic of us three,from left to right:
MS6MIKE, KURFGATOR, BUIT9110.
gt3071%2023.JPG

I hope it helps.

Last edited:
Lol, good memories man. A lot of good advice, especially the part about having another free car to make 2am trips to auto-zone, lol.

My windsheild was also my tool box, its just so easy to leave things there, but a pain to find them later. Standing on the motor with a breaker bar was fun, too. Glad ya'll got it all together and working properly. How much time did it take?

I think he was subscribing to the thread (gossip)

Yes, Subscribing to the thread to see future developments and discussion.

P.S.: What you did is learn more in a weekend than you would have in a month of shop class. Awesome.

Keep a close eye for leaks and items that magically loosen themselves. It's normal for the first week that all the bugs show up, fix them as they arise and everything should be fine.

That was one hell of a project!! Good times, good times.

BTW, for any of you wondering what the hell I am doing when I was standing on top of the motor, that was how we got to that PITA manifold bolt that is pretty much hidden by the runners. You put a 14 racheting, flex head wrench (got it at Lowe's) on the bolt and then I hook the end of the tie strap around that and put the breaker bar through the other end of the strap. buit held the wrench on the bolt while I dead lifted the bar. It worked like a charm!

Last edited:
yea also i was taking pics! dont think i did not do s***! LOL yea nice proyect and everything worked like a charm!

subs...

How is it running?

Looks like a good time was had by all :)

awsome garage - you must run out of gas all the time ;)

so should I get my kit and stop by?

alright alright wait a sec, no no tunig yet but i'm getting the cpe ems soon. i just recieved the hks v2 and its awesome.

Back