Anyone put there snow tires on yet.

Sure, they get great grip acceleration wise, I don't even know what would have to happen to get stuck, probably just bottom out so bad that there wouldn't be weight on the tires. Unless the road is covered in solid layer of packed snow, I can go full throttle in 2nd and not break loose, which is kinda sad for the lack of power, and kinda impressive for the grip, if that says anything. I haven't slid at all yet, and my buddy said his Ranger has been all over the place.

Got to try mine out in a bit of snow this morning and they did well I didnt try any crazy maneuvers though. I just wish they didnt put salt down I hate that s***. I want to see how they do in some deeper snow.

This is the first winter Victoria has been driven in (previous owner never drove it in the snow). I HATE salt!!! Makes my girl look ugly lol.

I still can't get over the difference snow tires make! They make me hate winter even more, because now I'm like GTFO slow cars!!! Left lane is for passinggggggggg!! My commute actually involves passing in the right lane because everybody likes to cruise in the left...especially when the left lane gets plowed more lol

Exactly haha I hate how slow people drive in the snow. Even when I had crappy tires people were still too slow.
Been trying to drive easy in the dry so I dont wear them out too fast tho.

Last edited:
Exactly haha I hate how slow people drive in the snow. Even when I had crappy tires people were still too slow.
Been trying to drive easy in the dry so I dont wear them out too fast tho.

Same here, slow on dry so I don't wear out the expensive tires! I hope to get at least 2 seasons out of them. Idk how possible that will be, since I drive about 3k miles a month LOL

I have a new route I'm taking with my RX-8 wheels. I originally planned on powdercoating them and putting summer tires on, but the wheels are too heavy. So I'm going to put on some cheap All Seasons to use when it's not snowing a lot. That way I won't wear out the snow tires too fast. I have intentions of buying a set of light weight 17x8 wheels for summer, so the cheap all seasons should be a good investment. I might be able to find some used ones reallllllly cheap on craigslist

Damn Evan...I believe you are approaching baller status. LOL

aftermarket wheels for summer
OEM MS3 wheels for winter duty
OEM RX8 wheels for those inbetween seasons

Damn Evan...I believe you are approaching baller status. LOL

aftermarket wheels for summer
OEM MS3 wheels for winter duty
OEM RX8 wheels for those inbetween seasons

That's how I roll bitchessssss HAHA

It's unfortunate that I have to go this route, but it will be the the most cost effective. High performance summer tires on a daily wouldn't be very practical since they would last me 1 summer, rain would be scary and the ride is a lot rougher. I drive about 100 miles every day :(

Well that sucks I only have to drive about 35 miles 4 days a week for work. That would help your winter tires but would be a lot of changing wheels it seems like and more money on tires.

LOL....considering the mileage you put on...why not just get a nice UHP all-season...like the General Exclaim (if they are available in the size you need)? Sure, not a true summer tire but more on the sport side and will get you thru the cooler temps of spring/fall and the rain + tread life will be better.

That's what I have for summer is a UHP and the only time that I have ever even gotten them to make noise on the road was the fun run in central Ohio. They have never been close to breaking loose on the road, but they are terrible if there's even a bit of snow on the ground. In the wet they're still great. They're some cheap import (according to the shop owner, who recommended them) Capitol Sport UHP, supposed to be made by Bridgestone, I believe. 215/40-17 and they were like 80$ each mounted and balanced I think. I'm pretty sure they have at least a 40k mile warranty, too. No tire noise, but probably what you guys would call a "harsh" ride. I enjoy it.

LOL....considering the mileage you put on...why not just get a nice UHP all-season...like the General Exclaim (if they are available in the size you need)? Sure, not a true summer tire but more on the sport side and will get you thru the cooler temps of spring/fall and the rain + tread life will be better.

I just checked Tire Rack and found them on there for $123 each in the size I want (235/40/18). If I were to get them in 225, the price drops to $108 each
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires...idewall=Blackwall&partnum=34WR8EUHP&tab=Sizes

Also, my friend has this tire which looks pretty good:
http://www.vulcantire.com/cgi-bin/tiresearch.cgi?stock=615&f=azenis_rt615_t.htm

They are $137 each and are Max Performance Summer tires.

Also, I found this insanely cheap tire at $76 each!!
http://www.vulcantire.com/cgi-bin/tiresearch.cgi?stock=14835&f=sceptor_t.htm
Idk about this, but damn thats the cheapest tire I can find hahahaha

How much for those General's shipped? Discounttire has them for $134ea with free shipping...didn't check on the 225 size. I've heard good stories about them from other members and almost bought them myself.

Considering mileage is one of your concerns I'd stay away from the Azenis....thinking you will def. only get one season out of those and the third choice doesn't look bad but I'd research it some more before pulling the trigger.

Have you talked to Levi? He was saying how he picked up some cheap tires (good quality) for his MS6 wheels...sorry but don't recall what brand or size.

How much for those General's shipped? Discounttire has them for $134ea with free shipping...didn't check on the 225 size. I've heard good stories about them from other members and almost bought them myself.

Considering mileage is one of your concerns I'd stay away from the Azenis....thinking you will def. only get one season out of those and the third choice doesn't look bad but I'd research it some more before pulling the trigger.

Have you talked to Levi? He was saying how he picked up some cheap tires (good quality) for his MS6 wheels...sorry but don't recall what brand or size.

The Azenis would be the dedicated summer tires, they are so cheap!! Also, I think Levi sold his MS6 wheels to get his new ones.

Last edited:
Understood on the Azenis....I was talking about if you decided to forego the three sets of wheels and just keep two. Yeah, he did sell them but he said the tires he bought were cheap and surprisingly good...might be worth asking him.

I might try to find a cheap set of used all/seasons on craigslist too. I got my snow tires there for a steal, so we'll see.

All this winter wheel talk has got me thinking... Do I get Phen's extra set of 16" OEM wheels or use my motegi sx5's for my winter wheels? I'm gonna need a new set of tires this spring anyhow and I could get a different set of "good weather" wheels/tires...

Eh... the RT615's are ok. I have a set on the MSP wheels. I got a lot more miles out of them than I ever expected... but I also usually go a lot longer on the tires than I should.

That's a pretty good idea actually. Evan, come up to Northfield for NORA's auto-x once the season starts again and see what people are using for street tire classes like ST, STS, STU, STX, etc.

I put my snows (Toyo Snowprox S592) on my 2 about 2 weeks ago. And aside from the fact that they weren't balanced from the factory like they were supposed to be they've been great. No real wobble, and good grip both accelerating and cornering. Braking is pretty good too. I've yet to have them let go. In the few light dustings we've had braking has been good to great, acceleration very good and cornering was nice and controlled even when I gave it a bit and they let go. I'm not thrilled about them, but for winter, I'll take it.

For the record I'm running Falkens (unsure of the model right now) on my rx-8 r3 for a second season and they've been fantastic. V rated and nice and stiff. There's a lot less difference between the summers (225/40 r19) and the winter falkens (225/55 r17) than I'd ever have expected. Highly recommended.

Back