Anyone have clearcoat failure on their Protege 5 (yellow)?

mnkyboy

I have clearcoat failure on my rear spoiler. Im debating on whether to spend the money and get it repainted or do it myself. Problem is, the new paint will definitely look like a different shade of yellow. May not be a big deal since other parts of my car the yellow faded.

The first link is a rusting issue on the seams.

The second link was created by me when I first had the issue. I created a new thread because the title on my old thread wasnt very clear.

I see....

What year is your car? Isn't there a 5 year unlimited mile paint warranty?

I see....

What year is your car? Isn't there a 5 year unlimited mile paint warranty?

its a 2002, bought it in Dec 2001. The only warranty I had was 4 year std warranty. Ive been very happy with my Protege 5, best car Ive ever owned. My only gripe is the paint job. I think it has something to do with how they paint the Vivid Yellow. As much as I loved the Yellow color, I wont be buying a special paint color like this again. From what ive read, the metallic colors have the best paint job.

i think that the yellow ones are missing a stage of clear coat compared with the other colors, at least thats what i think but im not positive.

i think that the yellow ones are missing a stage of clear coat compared with the other colors, at least thats what i think but im not positive.

Yea, ive read different things like that. Some people say it doesnt have a clearcoat, some say it has clearcoat mixed in with the paint, and others say its a standard clearcoat layer. I can say for a fact that the rear spoiler has a clearcoat layer on the top. This is the layer that is peeling off. Im not sure about the metal parts of the car though.

P5s yellow is one stage, hence no clear...and the rust warranty is for perforation, not just the cancer...has to have a hole thru the metal.

P5s yellow is one stage, hence no clear...and the rust warranty is for perforation, not just the cancer...has to have a hole thru the metal.

Like I said, ive read about people stating that. I even emailed Mazda USA about this years ago. They stated the yellow does have a clear coat. If it were only one stage, then I wouldnt have a clearcoat peeling off of my spoiler.

i believe its a single stage. i detailed a fellow p5 owners car. his is a vivid yellow. its a single stage, because the wax i used (nxt 1.0) is a synthetic wax that has mild cleaners in it. yellow was coming off on the applicator pad, as well as on my microfibers. this means that the clear coat is mixed in.

get some cleaner wax, like mothers, apply it to the area where the clear has peeled away, and then apply it to the area on the spolier that isnt peeling. when you wipe away the wax on the area that hasnt peeled, and there is no yellow on your microfiber, that means there is a clearcoat on the spoiler and its peeling off.

it could be that the body panels, and the aero panels were painted seperatly than installed...

That is the only spot that mine is doing it on...just the spoiler...two or three nickel size spots...I think I am just gonna paint it black so that the yellow is not off color...

you might was well just have the car repainted with a quality paintjob.

that single stage will oxidize over time very quickly if you dont take car of it now...

you might was well just have the car repainted with a quality paintjob.

that single stage will oxidize over time very quickly if you dont take car of it now...

Thats what I am going to do, but I might go with a burnt orange repaint.(mj)

Front bumper, rear bumper, and the side mirrors are all the faded yellow on my '02 P5. they are like a dull yellow color, and I'm getting the bumpers redone soon, but the side mirrors I'm going to have to figure out something for. Also, anyone here have a problem with the black lining around the windows of the car, at the bottom of the windows particularly, fading out as well? Mine looks like the paint got very dried up and there are visible white points. Looks pretty bad, and I need to redo that as well (shrug)

My whole rear bumper and the majority of my front is now pastel yellow...when i get back Im just going to get the whole thing repainted...problem solved

For those who repainted their entire car, how much did it run you? I plan on keeping my car another 3 years (been 7 so far) and debating on whether to repaint the entire thing.

Back