Any difference in playing music through Bluetooth or USB?

tfigs121

:
Mazda 5
I have a 2013 CX-5 I just bought. Is there any difference between playing music through my iPhone 6 on Bluetooth or USB? I like the USB port because it gives me access to my music menus like artists, albums, etc. Bluetooth does not. The problem I am having, as i posted in another thread is that the USB port does not charge, so if I want to charge, I have to use Bluetooth.

Thanks.

Thom

I have a 2013 CX-5 I just bought. Is there any difference between playing music through my iPhone 6 on Bluetooth or USB? I like the USB port because it gives me access to my music menus like artists, albums, etc. Bluetooth does not. The problem I am having, as i posted in another thread is that the USB port does not charge, so if I want to charge, I have to use Bluetooth.

Thanks.

Thom

I noticed the following differences.

1. Audio quality is noticeably better on USB
2. The Album Art shows up only via USB
3. USB charges the phone as well. Please note the 'power' is very low for whatever reason. If the GPS is ON and if you're playing music, it might appear that the USB is not charging the phone because it just maintains the same battery level. But if I just plug in USB and not use GPS or music, I can see the battery % increase slowly. The USB power is significantly lower compared to my previous car (08 Accord).

Last edited:
I noticed the following differences.

1. Audio quality is noticeably better on USB
2. The Album Art shows up only via USB
3. USB charges the phone as well. Please note the 'power' is very low for whatever reason. If the GPS is ON and if you're playing music, it might appear that the USB is not charging the phone because it just maintains the same battery level. But if I just plug in USB and not use GPS or music, I can see the battery % increase slowly. The USB power is significantly lower compared to my previous car (08 Accord).

No album art in the 2013 variant to the best of my knowledge

No album art in the 2013 variant to the best of my knowledge

That's right. I was talking about the new 2016 infotainment system. I also noticed the track forward/backward buttons are more responsive on USB mode.

USB is very slow, Bluetooth is not so stable. Best way it get a AUX cable, and play music with your phone and buy a 12v charger to charge your phone.

For my ears, USB audio quality is every so slightly better than Bluetooth (for Music that's on the phone). The difference was too minute to prefer one over the other.
However, with a dedicated USB Drive plugged into the system, it is more convenient to use USB when no plugging in is needed, the drive is detached only when I update the music on it. However, I do use Bluetooth with Pandora mostly and sometimes other things, especially on short drives.

I agree about putting your music on a USB stick. I have close to 800 songs on a 16 gig PNY stick, and pretty much keep it plugged into my '16 Touring all the time. Response is fast, and the information on the screen is detailed. I've also learned I can give a voice command to play a certain artist, and within five seconds that new album has begun playing. Saves drain on my iPhone battery, too. Couldn't be simpler. I also play through the Pandora app, but with 1 gig of data per month, I can't do that all the time.

I agree about putting your music on a USB stick. I have close to 800 songs on a 16 gig PNY stick, and pretty much keep it plugged into my '16 Touring all the time. Response is fast, and the information on the screen is detailed. I've also learned I can give a voice command to play a certain artist, and within five seconds that new album has begun playing. Saves drain on my iPhone battery, too. Couldn't be simpler. I also play through the Pandora app, but with 1 gig of data per month, I can't do that all the time.
Great idea! I will have to try this!

One thing I noticed over the Bluetooth playback is a slight change in tempo during the initial 10-15 seconds of operation. Thought it was related to my car but last week rented a Toyota Sienna and it did the same so its probably iPhone related. Anyone notice this?

One thing I noticed over the Bluetooth playback is a slight change in tempo during the initial 10-15 seconds of operation. Thought it was related to my car but last week rented a Toyota Sienna and it did the same so its probably iPhone related. Anyone notice this?

I haven't noticed anything like that. On any car playing over Bluetooth . Using Android here.

Yes, I just recently noticed this myself--I don't think it was doing it before and not until I updated to the .760A Mazda Connect version. I always had the occasional and short-term skipping problem with the very first song that plays after the BT connection completes, and this odd tempo change is even less frequent (and similarly lasts for only a short time). I thought my ears deceived me the first time it happened....I just assume it is something odd with the way the data is being transmitted over BT and the system in turn cannot read the datastream properly. Never has lasted for more than maybe 5 seconds at most and again only with the initial song (or then the next if I skip tracks immediately).

On my 2014 shuffle is greyed out on Bluetooth. USB shuffles both artist and songs. Mine also charges at the same time, but I will say I have seen inconsistency as I have had to turn the car off and back on to get it to work. I have the tsb blooth module upgrade.

Luckily, I have my old iPod classic that I just leave plugged in. I have access to my entire collection which has caused me to question why am I still paying for satellite.

Back