Any Complaints (hopefully all minor)

I just noticed my rear Mazda symbol has a gap between the body and the seal. I can literally stick my finger in between the symbol and the foam. Makes me wonder what is behind there and if it's responsible for the broken tail latch I had due to corrosion. Added to the list of issue to bring up with the dealer on the 5000 km maintenance.

attachment.php

Last edited:
Interior:
1) Navigation
By far this is the most disappointing aspect for me. Its ironic, because I really like Tom Tom
- Voice control sucks
- Too many safety locks, this literally handcuffs you and makes driving actually dangerous vs safer...
- At times gps is unstable (The car marker moves around the screen)
- No weather support
- Supposedly not lifetime traffic
- POI's are not so great
- No compass
- Cannot add other services offered by TomTom
2) I have laid the back seats down a couple of times, Now i hear rattles in the back when I go over a rough patch of road.
3) There is a weird clicking noise from the dash somewhere once I speed up to 50+mph

I get the weird clicking noise once I get up to speed too. It comes from somewhere on the top of the dash or maybe from the ceiling somewhere. The first few times I heard it I thought I had a rock hit my windshield on the highway (it sounds exactly like that). I've noticed it happens more when it's hot outside (over 85F) and when I'm getting on the highway, maybe around 50mph

I just noticed my rear Mazda symbol has a gap between the body and the seal. I can literally stick my finger in between the symbol and the foam. Makes me wonder what is behind there and if it's responsible for the broken tail latch I had due to corrosion. Added to the list of issue to bring up with the dealer on the 5000 km maintenance.

attachment.php

Our CX-5 doesn't have that thick foam behind your emblem in your pic. I don't recall any U.S. spec car having it too. There's usually a thin adhesive between the emblem and car's paint.

Our CX-5 doesn't have that thick foam behind your emblem in your pic. I don't recall any U.S. spec car having it too. There's usually a thin adhesive between the emblem and car's paint.

Yeah, it looks like that's how my front emblem is attached. No foam at all. Does anybody else have the foam on the rear emblem? If so does the emblem feel flimsy/leave a gap with the body?

My only complaints so far:

- The glove compartment is tiiiiiinyyyy compared to the one on my old Mazda3.
- Stupid iphone would start playing music automatically as soon as I connect it either via usb cable or Bluetooth.(argh)

And thats pretty much it.

I just looked at mine (a US car) and no thick foam.

Yeah, it looks like that's how my front emblem is attached. No foam at all. Does anybody else have the foam on the rear emblem? If so does the emblem feel flimsy/leave a gap with the body?

No foam. I wish I could stick my finger behind the other emblems tho because I have been trying to get them off with floss but no lukc, guess I have to find a blow-dryer and do it the right way =/

Hi,
Thanks for the responses,
CX-SV, I am about 70% hwy (65-70mph)
Macksma, I did update my sd card. This was after my update.
Exspeedaway, Thank you for the answer about the heated mirror

Few other things that I thought of.
1) Interior
- It really bothers me that climate control is pretty much brain dead. Inspite of being able to set the temperature, I must always have to manage the fan to get the right setting, so basically its manual, not automatic climate adjust, the thermostat reading is just bling..
- I hate that my speedometer does not line up with gps speed. I dont know which one to believe. (Maybe a reason, for going to court for a ticket if I get one)
- For a bose stereo system, the sound is so so. I expected better sound quality
2) Engine/ ac:
- When I floor the gas a bit with the a/c turned on, I can actually feel the stress put on the a/c, the cold air stops for a couple of seconds and then turns back on. I am not sure if this is expected

Thanks
Uday

I've heard people complain about the GPS so I just wanted to throw in my 2 cents. The GPS of course lags a bit, while accelerating or slowing, I can glance at my speedometer and see 45 and the GPS still shows 42 or 50. But when I am holding steady at 45 for 5 seconds, the GPS reads exactly 45. And when I set the cruise control the GPS readout matches up too.

Minor vibration of side mirrors. Not a big deal - you get use to it.

Rolling down just the rear windows all of the way makes a lot of noise. Happens when ONLY the rear windows are rolled all the way down.

The little caps in the rear bumper came off in the automatic car wash.

With manual, there's not enough power in sixth gear to maintain 60 MPH+ speed on highway mountain passes. Gotta downshift!

That's all I can think of.

My driver side mirror vibrates too much at speeds > 50MPH. It is annoying and I'll see what the dealer can do about it.

Bought mine March 10th. Now has approximately 6K miles.

Major complaints are:

Nav is wretched, in addition to voice command.
Display is quite small.
I have a loaded Touring. Push start is nice, but not having proximity door unlock (SmartKey) feature is moronic. It is senseless to have to remove the key fob to unlock the door but not need it to start the engine. This needs to be standard with a push start feature and an option on lower trim levels.
Engine is rather buzzy and annoying.
Pulsating side mirrors is annoying.
Slight clunk in steering wheel/column with wheel turned and driving over bumps or dips.

I read this entire thread and it seems like there are a lot of small problems with this vehicle. There's actually too many for my liking. I will wait for the 2014 model. Hopefully it will come out early next year and fix a few of the problems without raising the price too much.

Yea, makes sense. BUT, go take a look at Honda Odyssey 2005-2011 forum - especially the tranny problems and warped brake problems....

I am sure every car has this type of forum.

3) There is a weird clicking noise from the dash somewhere once I speed up to 50+mph

I get the weird clicking noise once I get up to speed too. It comes from somewhere on the top of the dash or maybe from the ceiling somewhere. The first few times I heard it I thought I had a rock hit my windshield on the highway (it sounds exactly like that). I've noticed it happens more when it's hot outside (over 85F) and when I'm getting on the highway, maybe around 50mph

Yup, also got the load cracking sound when getting on the highway. Always think that a rock hit the windshield. I thought it's something to do with the heat or AC being on, dunno.... Dealer probably won't know what to do.

Certainly nothing wrong with waiting out the first m/y gremlins.

However, so far, they are very minimal. For myself anyway. I mean, wabbly side mirrors and a shaky hood?

Yeah, the Nav and display could use some refinement, but so long as there are no mechanical woes, I am good.

The more I read about these issues, the better I feel about getting the Sport manual. The gas mileage has been fantastic. The tranny has not failed and required towing assistance. I don't have complaints about Tom Tom because I have a Garmin that I can remove from the car and pre-program fom my Lazy Boy the night before leaving on trips. It also handles Bluetooth calls with no problems or dropouts and it understands and finds most of my verbal commands. My stereo sounds great after installing speakers in the dash (Thanks Nizzy and Hollis). And this car is a blast to drive on twisty mountain roads. You can keep it right in the power band when just out cruising or towing a trailer. I haven't owned a car that was this much fun since my 02 Miata.

2) I have laid the back seats down a couple of times, Now i hear rattles in the back when I go over a rough patch of road. I have the same problem. Mazda remplace my left back seat. But now is a right and i make video for mazda is a problem. With my civic 2000 the back seat not rattle. This is 2013

Agree with Lando. Love the Sport MT. Keep it simple. I actually love driving so I want to feel connected to the car. Less distractions, less things to fail or go obsolete. It's comfortable, responsive, stylish, affordable, fun, safe, fuel efficient and has everything I need. I want to put in dash speakers and that's about it.

Oh how I miss driving a manual. I can only imagine how slick that CX-5 MT is.

Agree with Lando. Love the Sport MT. Keep it simple. I actually love driving so I want to feel connected to the car. Less distractions, less things to fail or go obsolete. It's comfortable, responsive, stylish, affordable, fun, safe, fuel efficient and has everything I need. I want to put in dash speakers and that's about it.

I have MT sport too. I could not put it better in words myself. I got 33MPG after my 1st fill up in 50/50 mixed driving. I smile every time I drive CX-5.

I've driven many cars with manual tranny. CX-5 stick is just plain butter and true pleasure to shift.
I had to drive my old MT Protege after driving CX-5 and I could not change gears for a while...

Last edited:
Back