Any Complaints (hopefully all minor)

-It could use a bit more pep (or less struggle) on bigger hills, etc.

When people say it struggles, do you mean it actually slows down and you can only get up a hill at say 40 mph when you were doing 55 before the hill?

Or does it just downshift a few gears and get loud, yet is still able to maintain the 55 mph speed up the hill?

well my wife picked up her cx5 on friday, her microphone in the nav voice control doesn't seem to be as sensitive as the one for mine (hers doesnt go into red often, mine almost always does) but it has no effect on the shoddy recognition of poi names, we have learned though that you can't use 'keywords' you have to say the poi name EXACTLY like it is in tomtoms list.... you can't say 'dunkin' you have to say 'dunkin donuts' so if whatever poi you want has a longer or multiworded name, you have to say it exactly like its listed (even then it doesn't get it right most times)

her seat clips came off that afternoon, she's goin back tomorrow to get the rear splash guards installed (they hadn't gotten there yet) and have them try to fix the seat bottom)

also noticed there is considerable flex in the bottom dash trim piece when you push the start/stop button, try it, watch the piece that goes under the instruments and push the button

Last edited:
When people say it struggles, do you mean it actually slows down and you can only get up a hill at say 40 mph when you were doing 55 before the hill?

Or does it just downshift a few gears and get loud, yet is still able to maintain the 55 mph speed up the hill?

I just did quite a bit of mountain driving last week through tenn and n. carolina. It does pretty good in the mtns. Most 2-3% grades, I could sustain speed (55-65mph) in 5th gear. Anything steeper it drops down to 4th gear. In 4th gear you can accerlate up hills.

Hmmm I think it definitely keeps up although I'm not sure how well it would fully loaded. But just me and my dog driving around with a few bags and it kept up just fine. Went up into the catskill mountains so definitely had a chance to go up/down some good hills. It just revs up quite a bit and you can hear (and feel) the engine really revving when going up hills. At the same time, it did keep up though and no it's not like it was going 40mph up a hill when previously at 55mph. If I floored it, it kept at 55mph so at least that's pretty good. Just that it seemed like it was working pretty hard to do it. Overall a pretty minor thing considering the great mpg it gets-for me it's a fine tradeoff.

Also, btw, when out on the freeway, I was zoom-zooming past people like crazy without any effort at all. :)

My Traction control system(TCS)/Dynamic Stability Contraol(DSC) light come on when i was on the free way this morning i got off and stopped the car to read the manual. Says take to dealer there might be a problem. Istop was flashing yellow as well. When i started the car again everything was fine...
I will see how it goes on way home from work. My first 1000 inspection will happen around next week. Should i just mention it to them then?
Or should i be more worried..... :(

Any ideas what i should do or have anyone had this happen.
Hope its nothing to bad!
I just google it and think it happend to mazda 3's and was a known issue
thanks Guys, love the car

This is what my driver seat looked like this morning. I'm not applying that much pressure, but the seat was popping out very easily. Getting in the car obviously made the problem worse with my leg rubbing up against the bolster, but it shouldn't be popping out after a week. The front of the seat was also lifting with minimal pressure.

They installed the fix today (redesigned clips), and there's much less give (if at all), and I'm optimistic it won't be popping out again anytime soon. The fix came directly from Mazda's Techline, so if you go in to your dealer with this problem, they should know about it, or be able to find out about it very easily.

photo3qv.jpg

This is what my driver seat looked like this morning. I'm not applying that much pressure, but the seat was popping out very easily. Getting in the car obviously made the problem worse with my leg rubbing up against the bolster, but it shouldn't be popping out after a week. The front of the seat was also lifting with minimal pressure.

They installed the fix today (redesigned clips), and there's much less give (if at all), and I'm optimistic it won't be popping out again anytime soon. The fix came directly from Mazda's Techline, so if you go in to your dealer with this problem, they should know about it, or be able to find out about it very easily.

photo3qv.jpg

thats exactly what my wifes cx5 does, except the front lifts some too

Have to disconnect bluetooth and reconnect to fix. Usually 2-3 times per trip.

I generally always connect to the iPod connector. It only takes a little longer to set up, because it defaults to the bluetooth output.
When on bluetooth, I usually get audio issues after a while (maybe 10 minutes). But there are no such issues on the iPod connection.

I think it has something to due with the fact that bluetooth has to stream, whereas the iPod connection is direct with no streaming required.

I also use the iPod connector. But one annoyance I have is that when I first get in and start the engine and am getting settled, the bluetooth starts streaming music on its own which is annoying. First, I may not want music right away to start. Second, it seems to pick random places to start playing music (i.e. it doesn't always start with the last song I was playing), and I don't want to turn bluetooth off because I want it on to use the phone/hands-free.

I also use the iPod connector. But one annoyance I have is that when I first get in and start the engine and am getting settled, the bluetooth starts streaming music on its own which is annoying. First, I may not want music right away to start. Second, it seems to pick random places to start playing music (i.e. it doesn't always start with the last song I was playing), and I don't want to turn bluetooth off because I want it on to use the phone/hands-free.

yeah i wish there was a way to disable or turn off the audio player side of the bluetooth, we dont use it so no point in making the connection (especially since we're having issues with bluetooth now)

I noticed my seat coming apart before I took delivery of mine so the dealer fixed it immediately. Looks like this may be a major manufacturing quality issue.

Why didn't they make the hood fiberglass?

If you got in an accident would you want a hood that shatters, or one that absorbs energy? I'd go with the latter.

Plus they're easier to make, which means they're cheaper, and the fit and finish of steel/aluminum is (usually) better than with fiberglass.

Last edited:
If you got in an accident would you want a hood that shatters, or one that absorbs energy? I'd go with the latter.

Plus they're easier to make, which means they're cheaper, and the fit and finish of steel/aluminum is (usually) better than with fiberglass.

I'm thinking that he meant carbon fiber.

Just saying. My 98 ranger had a fiberglass hood. They make safety glass. Why not some sort of safety fiberglass.

The rear fenders where fiberglass too. Got swiped by a semi trailer. It didn't shatter. It sort of just crumbled. It's fiberglass not glass. They make boats out of fiberglass. My jetski was fiberglass it never shattered.

Trying to stay on subject here. With the hood being fiberglass it would be more rigid and not resonate in the air passing over it. Just saying it may help with the seen vibration.

Last edited:

I guess all the fiberglass corvettes out there are death traps because they will "shatter". How much energy do you think that hood will absorb? It would be better if it just flew off.

I guess they didn't want customers complaining of the hot plastic stink in the summer like Corvettes, it's not pleasant. Lol, like I want a 1998 Ranger fiberglass hood on my Mazda with Ford silver paint (and no primer because the paint manufacturer told them it was okay to do without primer) that peels off as soon as the warranty expires. Just saying 1998 hood trivia doesn't apply whether they shatter or fly off on impact.

A aluminum hood meets the fit, finish (including paint quality and durabilty/adhesion), weight, cost, crash safety and pedestrian safety (today it's a requirement) criteria for Mazda. No certainty of fiberglass hood meeting all of that criteria. The Corvette is not a model of safety or a especially cost-effective platform. I am more confident in Mazda's current engineering skills over Ford's so-so engineering of 1998.

More on topic is the hood shaking that some owners (not all) have experienced, what is the dealer saying? Is a TSB out yet? Is it an adjustment to mounting hardware that makes hood stable? Because many owners don't get noticeable shaking with same aluminum hood. I've purposely looked at my hood trying to observe shaking under a variety of conditions and none found.

Last edited:
I guess all the fiberglass corvettes out there are death traps because they will "shatter". How much energy do you think that hood will absorb? It would be better if it just flew off.

metal absorbs more energy than fiberglass or plastic how much more depends on the type of crash. metal hoods (and fenders) are designed as apart of the crumple zone.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6yoa8McfOY0

Yep, the plastic corvette absorbs a lot of energy. Actually the panels just fell off, like you said they should. LOL

Last edited:
Just saying. My 98 ranger had a fiberglass hood. They make safety glass. Why not some sort of safety fiberglass.

The rear fenders where fiberglass too. Got swiped by a semi trailer. It didn't shatter. It sort of just crumbled. It's fiberglass not glass. They make boats out of fiberglass. My jetski was fiberglass it never shattered.

Trying to stay on subject here. With the hood being fiberglass it would be more rigid and not resonate in the air passing over it. Just saying it may help with the seen vibration.

If the hood vibrates (I still waiting on mine, so i have no idea how much of an issue it is), keep in mind that its part of making a vehicle to be sold starting in the low $20k range. My Tacoma was about $30k, but uses the same hood as the $13k model. It vibrates a little at speed (70mph+), but it doesn't bother me at all.

These are pretty inexpensive vehicles in the first production year; expectations should be set accordingly.

Back