Another "new to modding" newbie thread.

StrutbarandIntake.jpg

This is it, but Ive added a Optima redtop battery since this pic was taken, and Ive removed my Amp's power wire...since stereo's = more weight in the car.

Chris

I'll check it later, can't get through to photobucket at work.

When I race my car it cops a serious diet... i had the thing in the low 16s bone stock just with weight reductions.

LordWorm said:
I'll check it later, can't get through to photobucket at work.

When I race my car it cops a serious diet... i had the thing in the low 16s bone stock just with weight reductions.

I went to go look for the coolant line...is it the one that kinda goes in the top then the other line comes out the bottom and goes to the block? Im guessing so...it made sense in my head when I was looking at it, but who knows if thats the correct line or not.

As for weight reduction, what have you done so far? Im looking to lighten up my car a little for AutoX but not really sure of what to take off...short of ripping the back seats out.

Chris

TN/KY Tuners said:
I went to go look for the coolant line...is it the one that kinda goes in the top then the other line comes out the bottom and goes to the block? Im guessing so...it made sense in my head when I was looking at it, but who knows if thats the correct line or not.

As for weight reduction, what have you done so far? Im looking to lighten up my car a little for AutoX but not really sure of what to take off...short of ripping the back seats out.

Chris
yeh you have one line coming into the throttle body, then another line going from teh throttle body to the block. Remove both from the throttle body, and remove the one that goes from the throttle body to the block completely. Then run the one that ran into the throttle body into the block at the same spot where the pipe you've totally removed was going.
Done and done.

Weight reduction: Rear seats, rear wing, front passanger seat, centre console, seat belts, buckles, the hinge thingy that the folding seat backs goes on, and the front passanger seat (class regs let me pull this out now, woohoo!).

Also, spare tyre, jack and tools are removed at the track, as is the trunk/boot carpet and tyre cover. Keep em in there till you get to the track...murphy's law dictates that the day you pull it out at home, is the day you get a flat on teh way to the meet.

at the last drag meet, i also removed the entire exhaust system because i had the side pipe and didn't want the exhaust system flapping around on the track.

Ok I know which one you are talking about, it comes up from the bottom of the TB then goes back out to some other location that I couldnt see at the moment...****** FSDE motors are nothing but a rats nest of Vaccum lines lol.

Chris

TN/KY Tuners said:
Ok I know which one you are talking about, it comes up from the bottom of the TB then goes back out to some other location that I couldnt see at the moment...****** FSDE motors are nothing but a rats nest of Vaccum lines lol.

Chris
try dealing with a late mitsubishi 4G63 SOHC carby motor...we pulled something like 10 feet of vac hose out of that bastard whilst pulling the motor out.

chris, a microtech is still the best value mod anyone can do for any NA FS engine. for example, how much have you spent on the full exhaust and intake? how much power did that gain? if possible, how much time did it take off your 1/4 mile (where the power in the powerband is key, not just the peak power). my 1/4 dropped 0.5 seconds by going with a microtech, where my peak power only went up about 6whp i think.

My intake and exhaust, I gained...well lets see...before, when the car was stock I ran a 11.1 at the 1/8mi...which is all we have around here unless I got 3hrs to KY to a 1/4 track. With the intake and exhaust and header. I ran a 10.2 in the 1/8mi...so I dropped damn near a whole second just with those mods. Maybe Im just a better driver, I dunno.

Chris

nice drop in numbers, but dunno if that has more to do with you getting better.

a 10.2 is apx 15.9 over the 1/4. an 11.1 is about 17.3 according to a few online calculators. sounds impressive, but 17.3 is a damn slow stock time. (and this is from a calculator that says from my 9.333 1/8 that i should do a mid 14.5x time (and my best is 14.576) so it's pretty accurate.

how much did your engine intake and exhaust system cost you?

twilightprotege said:
how much did your engine intake and exhaust system cost you?

My intake was I believe $250 -$275 I bought this before I discovered Ebay was a lot cheaper, and I really didnt know anything about finding good deals.

My exhaust came with a 2.5in piping when I bought the car, it had a fart can muffler on it, but last month or so it got annoying so I had the Borla muffler welded on, to quiet it down, and Ive noticed more pull in the car since the muffler change. The Muffler was I think $375 for a cat back system but I didnt use the resonator piece I just used the muffler part with the tip. Again I bought this before I knew how and where to save money at. But the muffler alone for my car is like $100-$150 with the tip.

Chris

Big drop for sure....

I dropped 0.6 seconds on a microtech running the stock exhaust system and stock intake system. i dropped a further 0.3 by going side exit open exhaust and no additional tuning save for throwing 4% extra fuel at it accross the entire curve... i'd expect once the headers are done and i have a propper system, with a decent intake, i'll be dropping another 3 tenths which would see me in the high 14s....

Beauty of stand alone is that you can tune in your mods...so if a mod would normally give you 2 tenths, the microtech might give you an extra tenth ontop of that... so its improves the value of everything going forward.....same would be true of any decent management system.

I just dont have the money sitting around to buy a Microtech, if you can find one for cheap down there and would let me pay pal the money and have you ship it here, then I could concider doing that, but for the time being...Im working more on suspension mods since thats what keeps me firm and planted on the ground while cornering a lot faster.

Chris

TN/KY Tuners said:
I just dont have the money sitting around to buy a Microtech, if you can find one for cheap down there and would let me pay pal the money and have you ship it here, then I could concider doing that, but for the time being...Im working more on suspension mods since thats what keeps me firm and planted on the ground while cornering a lot faster.

Chris
Oh not for a second suggesting or pushing you into doing it, just saying, it is worth it, despite the general consensis that its a waste on an NA car, and definantly something that should be on your shopping list once you've got your ground control sorted!

Back