Another Coilover Thread

Lanetech34

:
2012 mazda2 touring model
As I've searched and searched the forums for opinions on which setup to go but there just are not enough threads about coilovers on 2's. From what Ive found is that Ksports is the most common coilover set up here, which seems to be due to there being a vendor on here and there cost. Now I haven't found anyone here that has the H&R set up here but thats what I'm considering as my option. I looking to close that outrageous wheel gap that our 2's have and comfort is my primary concern. This will be my first time lowering any car. Now are is there a coilover set up out there being used on the 2's that you guys can say is very comfortable? Any input would be great.

Also another question related to coilovers on the 2. What needs to be switched out from the old strut set up to install the coilovers?

yes, Allmost everyone got the ksport coilovers, I think 2 persons in this forums got the bilstein, H&R coils no one, HKS coils no one, yellowSpeed no one.. i think...
I had read alot of good comments on the ksports comfort.
I am between these or the YellowSpeeds that are the same price and about a little stiffer in the rear to better time autox, can someone expert in coils comment us about?

Well I installed bag over coils which are essentially the same thing as coils. The only thing I need from the stock suspension was the top of the rear struts. I had to attach it to the new rear struts to mount it to the vehicle.

How low do you want to go? Coilovers use higher spring rates and will give you a firmer ride than going with a lowering spring option. If comfort is your primary concern I'd suggest corksport springs or h&r springs paired with their adjustable dampers.

The reason i thought of coilovers is from what people say, coilovers are the way to go long term so I want to do it right the first time. I also like how i can adjust the height on coilovers.

i really like the drop that the h&r springs have so that is how low im aiming to go on coilovers. I also I'm looking into some H&R springs and CS dampers but getting a coilover set "seems" like a better option going long term.

The reason i thought of coilovers is from what people say, coilovers are the way to go long term so I want to do it right the first time. I also like how i can adjust the height on coilovers.

9/10 you set the height and it never changes after that. Coilovers will last long term if you get good coils and you take care of them. I would find one with a good warranty if you are worried about long term.

I've adjusted my coilovers on my car over 40 times.. that is all together, or rear only, or front only.

KSports are comfortable, due to their fairly soft spring rates. Unless you're crazy, you won't be adjusting your coilovers 40 times, but they are good. They aren't made of stainless steel, so they will show the signs of winter on them, even with rustproofing.

Haha tell me about it man! I can replace the rear suspension in these cars now in about 30 mins, from jacking the car up, to wheels bolted/torqued and on the ground.. I've had enough practice hahaha

Haha tell me about it man! I can replace the rear suspension in these cars now in about 30 mins, from jacking the car up, to wheels bolted/torqued and on the ground.. I've had enough practice hahaha

Speaking of rear suspension, a buddy of mine wants to fabricate a top hat for the rear. Idk how that is gonna turn out. My friends tend to inherit my projects and I dont mind.

If you are dead-set on coilovers then you at least look into the ST's. One of the cheaper sets out there (can be found for $800 or less) but made by a company with one of the best reputations around (KW). Big difference between a set that has properly matched spring rates and dampening, and those that use the chinese made 30 way adjustable universal cartridges.

I don't, but they too will be very decent. Owned by a great suspension company.

BC are a great option, just not aware they were already out for the 2. last time I checked 5 months ago they were not. The good thing about them you can order them with custom spring rate and valving.

Andres

The OP stated he has never lowered a car before, and therefore is not likely to be familiar with spring rates, adjustable dampening, etc.

Back