All-New 2017 Mazda CX-5 To Be Previewed At Novembers Los Angeles Auto Show?

Real question is how many owners actually cared about the emissions concern of that debacle? I'm betting more were concerned about the price drop in value , and perceived "problems" that may have arise because it was such a big deal (i.e owners who don't really know about cars making a big deal).

<-- VW diesel owner visiting because I'm eventually going to let VW buy my TDI wagon back and I'm looking for possible replacements.

A few interesting anecdotes from my experience so far:
- "non-car-people" don't know about the VW emissions scandal. It doesn't seem to matter how much coverage it gets in the news. I have never gotten anything but a blank look when I mention the whole thing.
- Owners (that are also "car people") are more concerned about value and the possible mileage/performance effects of a fix than anything else.
- It was already fairly routine in the TDI community that if you took your TDI to a tuning shop, they would remove all the emissions equipment in the process (not disable - physically remove).
- None of this really matters anyway because Americans just don't buy diesels in passenger cars (non-trucks).

Diesel mpg converted to USA is 40 mpg(from a post on this forum) now factor in different diesel and gasoline prices

Diesel mpg converted to USA is 40 mpg(from a post on this forum) now factor in different diesel and gasoline prices
If 50 mpg UK from a member was confirmed for diesel it translates to 37.8 mpg vs gasoline. Of course diesel price may go up or down. Also not sure if 50 mpg UK was grandma style or normal.

I think the new CX-5 is definitely better especially in feature and interior refinement.
I think the current (previous?) look is very good already. The black bottom part of the front bumper and around the fog lights is rather simple looking in the old, much better in the new. Rest of the modifications don't look any better to me. I dislike cleaning the hexagonal grille from bugs and then it also holds water droplets, which wont drain on their own. Not sure if the new one is better in this respect.

It does seem like the front overhang is longer, but not sure. This is definitely not better.
I heard it was wider, not sure if true. Could see some minor appeal for it being wider, for better driving enjoyment.

The interior looks more classy then current. I very much like the reclining backseats and rear vents. I could not care less about power lift gate, as long as I don't need to get one. Opening and closing without it is a breeze. Works exactly as I want it.

I am not surprised by the 2.5 being carried over, though sounds like the 2L will also remain. The diesel is a surprise and it seems it will require urea treatment after all, which might be a better solution than the DPF regen cycle issues we heard from our Australian friends, even when it works. It will be in direct competition to the new Equinox diesel, though perhaps much more powerful and efficient.
This is something I will gladly consider, depending on price and reliability. In any case, I am not getting a new car anytime soon, unless something unexpected happens.

It seems that Mazda updates their lineup less traditionally, so I would not be surprised if newer SkyActiv 2 engines will suddenly be available. If you buy next year, you'll miss out on the significantly improved efficiency of SkyActiv 2. Life is hard :)

Last edited:
It also sounds like an improved version 2 of the active safety system, with traffic signs recognition and radar cruise control to a full stop and stop and go traffic.

After the VW diesel debacle, I don't see the Mazda diesel selling that well. People in the US don't like or trust passenger vehicles diesels. VW put the last nail in that coffin.

I see the sales being VERY LOW for the diesel and then it will be dropped from the US market.

i agree, and that is why i wont bite on the diesel even though ti will provide that great torque an gas mileage.

i plan to keep mine for a long time and need to make sure mechanics know how to fix it 10-15 years from now

So am I correct in saying the US diesel will use ad blue ?

I don't think it would pass emissions rules if it didn't. EU is tweaking test methods as well, so will possibly roll out to Europe - Mazda is too small to not use these changes worldwide.

Last edited:
The urea treatment is because of a federal law from 2005. It's not really about how clean the diesel is

If 50 mpg UK from a member was confirmed for diesel it translates to 37.8 mpg vs gasoline. Of course diesel price may go up or down. Also not sure if 50 mpg UK was grandma style or normal.

50 UK MPG = 41.6 US MPG. A UK gallon is 1.2 US gallons.

The urea treatment is because of a federal law from 2005. It's not really about how clean the diesel is

... No. Just no.

The urea treatment converts nitrogen oxide and a few other ingredients into nitrogen, carbon dioxide, and water. This is important because if nitrogen oxide is released into the atmosphere, it oxidizes into nitrogen dioxide, which causes smog and acid rain.

The fact that older diesel cars don't have any way of reducing their output of NO is also why multiple European cities are mandating that you can't drive older diesels through the centers of cities any more. The acid rain they produce is literally eating away at their monuments and landmarks.

You're certainly free to disagree with me on if/how the EPA should be regulating this stuff, but urea-based selective catalytic reduction is everything with regards to how clean a diesel is. The fact that you can't see it like the soot doesn't mean it's not there.

Last edited:
They must be planning a different system for the US models because everywhere else is using the post injection method of regenerating the DPF.

That doesnt apply to the euro 6 diesel, which the cx5 always has been from launch with out urea.

... No. Just no.

The urea treatment converts nitrogen oxide and a few other ingredients into nitrogen, carbon dioxide, and water. This is important because if nitrogen oxide is released into the atmosphere, it oxidizes into nitrogen dioxide, which causes smog and acid rain.

The fact that older diesel cars don't have any way of reducing their output of NO is also why multiple European cities are mandating that you can't drive older diesels through the centers of cities any more. The acid rain they produce is literally eating away at their monuments and landmarks.

You're certainly free to disagree with me on if/how the EPA should be regulating this stuff, but urea-based selective catalytic reduction is everything with regards to how clean a diesel is. The fact that you can't see it like the soot doesn't mean it's not there.

That doesnt apply to the euro 6 diesel, which the cx5 always has been from launch with out urea.

I'd bet Europe will get it too. Testing methods are changing to be more realistic with goal of PEMS measured real world performance more closely lab results by 2021. A lot vehicles Euro-6 compliant currently perform much worse on real roads.

Mazda would never spend the time and money developing this just for the very tiny US market for passenger car diesels.

Last edited:
Man if Mazda pulls this off they would own the sub 30k diesel market in the U.S. If not it may backfire and would be negative publicity for them. A Lot riding on their most popular model. I'm rooting for them to stick it to the big car companies.

http://www.autoblog.com/2016/11/17/2017-mazda-cx-5-handling-improvements/

Under the hood, every CX-5 now comes standard with the 2.5-liter Skyactiv-G four-cylinder, with output figures to be announced at a later date. The 2.0-liter, previously standard on the Sport trim, has been exiled to other markets. However, finally making its appearance on these shores is Mazda's 2.2-liter Skyactiv-D diesel engine. Although Mazda did its darndest to make it certifiable in the United States without a urea injection system, it was ultimately unable to do so without resorting to an ultra-sluggish throttle response that engineers deemed was anathema to what was expected of a Mazda. Therefore, the diesel-powered CX-5 will indeed have a DEF tank that will need to be periodically topped off to not run afoul of emissions regulations.

Yes, the US regulations are strict enough that manufacturers can't really meet them without urea systems but the EU regulations aren't currently as bad. I don't remember the numbers offhand, but I believe the EU currently allows about twice as much NO per mile driven as the US. That will be changing soon - they're overhauling their regulations and tests because it turns out VW wasn't the only company "cheating" over there and diesel is a much bigger deal for them. I say "cheating" because they're also finding that their laws are unclear on what tweaks manufacturers can and cannot make, so while it's obvious that manufacturers are making cars such that they don't perform in testing like they do on the road, it's also difficult to point to illegal activity that makes that possible.

Regardless, Mazda's own press release brags about their re-engineered urea system for the US market.

Back