All-New 2017 Mazda CX-5 To Be Previewed At Novembers Los Angeles Auto Show?

A tune can get you a better powerband.. the sky-high is a beast for tuning, especially with an upgraded intercooler. Oem tune is a balance between emission, desired output, mpg and noise.

I really don't have towing needs that exceed 4K lbs so just a waste for me.

I never towed in my life ...
Still, an engine with so much low-end torque and (probably) great economy will be a blast to drive. True, it does not rev very high so is probably not very quick 0-60, but it feels quick off the line and passing other vehicles and in ordinary driving, where low revs are used most of the time.
Depending on actual cost and reliability, it can be an excellent choice.

Mostly from Australians sources, it seems that the current 2.2D may not be a good choice for people with mostly short trips, because of the regen cycle, where fuel is squirted at the DPF to burn off accumulated soot. I wonder if Mazda has changed any of this behavior in this modified version, such as not using the cylinder fuel injectors for this task.

I would be getting mid 40's mpg around town/rural , if it wasn't for the DPF burn every approx 250 miles that destroys the economy.

Best I've had on a run twice was 55mpg, with a manual but with out a burn. Auto uses at least another 3 mpg.

Most economical choice is the 150 ps FWD low spec manual, that will return high 40's to the gallon UK. The 150ps is actually the sweetest of the two to drive. Engine will rev to 5500 rpm.

Last edited:
I never towed in my life ...
Still, an engine with so much low-end torque and (probably) great economy will be a blast to drive. True, it does not rev very high so is probably not very quick 0-60, but it feels quick off the line and passing other vehicles and in ordinary driving, where low revs are used most of the time.
Depending on actual cost and reliability, it can be an excellent choice.

Mostly from Australians sources, it seems that the current 2.2D may not be a good choice for people with mostly short trips, because of the regen cycle, where fuel is squirted at the DPF to burn off accumulated soot. I wonder if Mazda has changed any of this behavior in this modified version, such as not using the cylinder fuel injectors for this task.

Not likely...but if the CX-5 tow rating was increased with the diesel I would seriously consider a '17 to replace an existing vehicle. I'd keep my current '15. I'd be fine towing a nearly 3K lb load with trailer brakes & a CX-5.

Nothing really extra to add to diesel....

Didn't Mazda offer up some diesel model's around '84? I thought I remember the pickup and 626 having that option.

With VW seemingly on a direct course to EV now... this could very well be an opening for Mazda diesel offering to have a successful run. Nothing lasts forever but a good 4-5 year run would be a success IMO.

http://insidemazda.mazdausa.com/press-release/mazda-offer-diesel-engine-new-mazda-cx-5/

"HIROSHIMA, Japan—Mazda Motor Corporation announced at the Los Angeles Auto Show* today it will offer the SKYACTIV-D 2.2 clean diesel engine in the all-new Mazda CX-5 for North America from the second half of 2017. It will be Mazda’s first diesel engine model in the North American market.

The SKYACTIV-D 2.2 to be fitted in the all-new CX-5 for North America provides a torque-rich driving experience and revs freely to high RPMs. It will meet the region’s strict emission standards and make the all-new CX-5 one of the most fuel-efficient vehicles in its class. The engine also adopts Natural Sound Smoother and Natural Sound Frequency Control, proprietary technologies that reduce diesel knock for a quieter and more pleasing sound.

“We’re confident this engine offers a smart new option for North American drivers who want both performance and fuel economy,” said Akira Marumoto, Mazda’s Executive Vice President and Representative Director."

Gas Mileage for SkyActiv-D 2.2L Diesel CX-5

This might have been posted, but what could we expect in terms of US MPG from the 2.2DE?
Some UK members have said the gas mileage for SkyActiv-D 2.2L diesel CX-5 should be around 37~40 US MPG on the highway.

Not likely...but if the CX-5 tow rating was increased with the diesel I would seriously consider a '17 to replace an existing vehicle. I'd keep my current '15. I'd be fine towing a nearly 3K lb load with trailer brakes & a CX-5.

US tow ratings tend to be lower than euro tow ratings for the same vehicle because there aren't uniform towing speed limits in the US. Safe towing combines engine, transmission, suspension, brakes and wheelbase engineering but it also depends highly on speed. To limit liability manufacturers tend to drop the rating ~1000 lbs in the US because of this. And even with an engine upgrade there might not be a change in rated capacity due to the other factors...

My first 2013 cx5 did have a little more oil rise say 2mm, and yes it was all upto date with the C type dip stick etc. I got rid at just over 2 years due to having the brake vacumm pump fail a wear test, this can lead to metal bits into the engine and turbos, early cars also had failing sensors and prematuring cam wear.

Latest 2015 reg car is slightly better. And gets its first service next week.

It will be interesting to read the US owners comments after a year of ownership.

I tried doing research of skyactiv diesel problems for engines post 2014-2015 and reports declined a lot. Seems like the initial problems stayed with the 13 models. Anyways Mazda looks to be on track of doing what VW couldn't do which was to pass U.S. emissions. Mazda doing so with their most popular model tells me they're putting their reputation on the line here.

This might have been posted, but what could we expect in terms of US MPG from the 2.2DE?

It is 37.8 ish mpg from a UK forumer who got 50 UK MPG - this is dollar adjusted to the price of gasoline for comparison. Right now diesel is 10% costlier. Earlier this year both were the same price - so your effective mpg back then would be 41ish.

Having said that - Diesel will not save you money as ROI is not that great, not researched if they are >> conventional gasoline from emissions perspective, a huge sale of diesels will make gas more cheap which is terribad. Not sure about city mpg numbers yet.

On another note, TFL rated 17s as 2nd best looking car in the LA autoshow behind Jaguar electric SUV. Yesterday evening went out for a stroll and my deep blue 16.5 was looking very pretty! I can't believe how Mazda made one of the most beautiful crossovers even more jaw dropping in 2017.

It is 37.8 ish mpg from a UK forumer who got 50 UK MPG - this is dollar adjusted to the price of gasoline for comparison. Right now diesel is 10% costlier. Earlier this year both were the same price - so your effective mpg back then would be 41ish.

Having said that - Diesel will not save you money as ROI is not that great, not researched if they are >> conventional gasoline from emissions perspective, a huge sale of diesels will make gas more cheap which is terribad. Not sure about city mpg numbers yet.

On another note, TFL rated 17s as 2nd best looking car in the LA auto show behind Jaguar electric SUV. Yesterday evening went out for a stroll and my deep blue 16.5 was looking very pretty! I can't believe how Mazda made one of the most beautiful crossovers even more jaw dropping in 2017.

That's my concern. I get 33MPG in my 2.0L with my commute now (75% highway). With the difference in cost and mileage (about 7MPG better with diesel), I think I would need north of 10MPG in order to come out about even in terms of cost (not efficiency).

Another thing, the 2nd generation of the Skyactiv gasoline engines (due in 2017) should be more efficient than our current gasoline engines.

http://www.hybridcars.com/mazda-pla...lead-with-second-generation-skyactiv-engines/

Last edited:
Oh lord. People. This is a cheap CUV. It is not a status symbol. It is not a performance machine. It's a grocery-hauler and something to drive when it looks like you might get caught in a hail storm and you don't want to damage your sunday car. If you like your 2016, you can keep your 2016 :)
If you like the features offered in the 2017, you can sell your 2016 and get a 2017. I don't get what all the hurt feelings are over.

I agree 100%. I was talking with some other guy and he was comparing the CX-5 to the new Infinity QX30. One starts at 30K and the other tops out at 30K. The CX5 is a cheap CUV that compete with the CR-V, Rogue and Rav4. This update keeps it competitive to what the others offer. Nothing more.

That's my concern. I get 33MPG in my 2.0L with my commute now (75% highway). With the difference in cost and mileage (about 7MPG better with diesel), I think I would need north of 10MPG in order to come out about even in terms of cost (not efficiency).

Another thing, the 2nd generation of the Skyactiv gasoline engines (due in 2017) should be more efficient than our current gasoline engines.

http://www.hybridcars.com/mazda-pla...lead-with-second-generation-skyactiv-engines/

Anyone wanting a new style cx-5 really think about waiting until Skyactiv2 comes out. That said were keeping our 2.0l 2013 for a long time so we'll probably hold out for the flux capacitor powered skyactiv 4 LOL.

Anyone wanting a new style cx-5 really think about waiting until Skyactiv2 comes out. That said were keeping our 2.0l 2013 for a long time so we'll probably hold out for the flux capacitor powered skyactiv 4 LOL.

LOL, same here! I'm keeping mine at least 10 years (maybe later and handing it over to my son...he's seven).

Totally agree, if you like the new style....wait for the new engine.

I don't know where you came up with 10MPG, but definitely recapture of increased cost will take a long time.
However, like some people get (unnecessary) additional features, some people will happily pay for significantly better low-end torque.

SkyActiv 2 release date is unknown and can easily be delayed, potentially for years. If someone can't wait for too long, they should be aware of that as they might need to get SkyActiv 1 afterall.

I don't know where you came up with 10MPG, but definitely recapture of increased cost will take a long time.
However, like some people get (unnecessary) additional features, some people will happily pay for significantly better low-end torque.

SkyActiv 2 release date is unknown and can easily be delayed, potentially for years. If someone can't wait for too long, they should be aware of that as they might need to get SkyActiv 1 afterall.
So cost difference between 2.2D and 2.5L has to consider the higher torque and towing capacity. Interesting to see what it will be for USA but its safe to say that the extra cost if it is within reason will not force people to compare the two since the diesel is more powerful.
Even now the 2.5L stock can be pain with 4 adults + 100 pounds of gear while merging a highway with a slight slope against you ..

Just math. :) I never said recapture of increased cost, I said to get similar cost (as in cost per mile).

Currently, in my area I could get similar cost efficiency with a +3MPG increase on diesel.

87Unleaded =>(10,000 miles/33 MPG) * $2.19 = $663.00
Diesel => (10,000 miles/36 MPG) * $2.31 = $641.00

Now, typically, diesel is about $0.50 higher than 87 unleaded (there are areas around me currently charging $0.59 higher per gallon for diesel), if that were the case (and prices do change) we get closer to the need for 10MPG or higher.
Diesel => (10,000 miles/43 MPG) * $2.70 = $629.00

Last edited:
Around here Diesel is ~10% more expensive, so it needs to be ~3MPG better to have identical at the pump cost.
Of course, that does not include premium at purchase time and cost of DEF as well as potential more costly maintenance, but increased lifespan.
For the 2.2D, maintenance might not be as high, because it is a low compression diesel, thus less bulky with cheaper parts compared with standard diesel, though I am not sure at all.

Around here Diesel is ~10% more expensive, so it needs to be ~3MPG better to have identical at the pump cost.
Of course, that does not include premium at purchase time and cost of DEF as well as potential more costly maintenance, but increased lifespan.
For the 2.2D, maintenance might not be as high, because it is a low compression diesel, thus less bulky with cheaper parts compared with standard diesel, though I am not sure at all.

DEF won't add too much (about $50 per 10k miles?) but maintenance cost could be lower (and longevity will be better).

Last edited:
Back