ALL 2010 Mazda3 Stuff Goes Here

I thought the Canuckistanis already were seeing the next-gen 3 on their lots.

Mazda Mexico also has them on their lots. I saw a white sedan on Sunday in my local dealership. I'll see if I can upload pics this evening.

Yes it does. We're getting off topic here, but I can assure you the 2010 will have the same splash protection as its predecessor. You literally have to drive through 2+ feet of water or remove the splash guards to be truly "at risk."
See, the hydrolock discussions on here are always hilarious to me, but I tend to stay out of them, but it's gone on long enough.

It's horribly off topic, and I might start a thread about it somewhere else (although that is just inviting trouble), but briefly: to hydrolock your motor you need to almost flood it. Which requires that you either fully saturate your air filter or some part of your intake system so that water can get through it in the first place and then keep driving with it either fully or partially submerged to suck a lot of water into the cylinder, or just fully submerge the engine (and long before that happens lots of other things will go wrong and shut down the motor).

People seem to think that you get some water into the cylinder and boom, hydrolock. That's crap. Small amounts of water get into the cylinder all the time, either through humid air condensing because of pressure changes or temperature changes through the intake system or just simple road and puddle splatter. You get some water droplets in the cylinder and they just cook off in the heat and you get some hot and cold spots in the combustion chamber that lead to inclomplete combustion or maybe very mild pinging. Who cares?

Water doesn't (really) compress. That's why you use it in hydrolics, after all. To hydrolock a motor you need to get enough water into the cylinder that on the compression or exhaust stroke, there is too great a volume of water in the cylinder for the stroke to finish at which point you start bending things like crankshafts or piston rods since the water won't compress or move any further. You need to have more water in your cylinder than the volume of your combustion chamber. 2.0L motor, 4 cylinders each is 500cc per cylinder. 10 to 1 compression ration means the combustion chamber is 50cc in size. You need to get more than a shotglass of water into your cylinder to hydrolock a motor for this example. Our motor has a bigger combustion chamber and slightly larger cylinders, so it's even more water. This may not sound like much but considering the presence of a filter and how hard it is to suck water droplets and road splatter through it, saturated or otherwise, it's massive. You need to have your air filter submerged and saturated, and a CAI is about what, 12 - 18 inches off the ground? That's higher than your doorsill. You need to get yourself into deep freakin' water to hydrolock.

^ Keep telling yourself that.

you do know before products like seafoam, water was squirted into the throttle body (tiny amounts) to "steam clean" the engine.

Just because your filter gets moist doesnt mean your engine is going to explode. You need to really submerge the front of your car.

I will. Being scared of hydrolock happening to your car if you have a CAI is like being scared of being outside because ice buildup from a plane flying overhead might break off and hit you - theoretically feasible but so wildly out there it's just not worth worrying about it. Stay out of stupidly deep puddles, there, you're safe. A simple grasp of physics and engineering and a little forethought just saved you from paranoia, isn't that great? The question of warrantying a hydrolocked car with an MSCAI is moot, as you cannot hydrolock a car without extreme negligence as a driver.

See, the hydrolock discussions on here are always hilarious to me, but I tend to stay out of them, but it's gone on long enough.

It's horribly off topic, and I might start a thread about it somewhere else (although that is just inviting trouble), but briefly: to hydrolock your motor you need to almost flood it. Which requires that you either fully saturate your air filter or some part of your intake system so that water can get through it in the first place and then keep driving with it either fully or partially submerged to suck a lot of water into the cylinder, or just fully submerge the engine (and long before that happens lots of other things will go wrong and shut down the motor).

People seem to think that you get some water into the cylinder and boom, hydrolock. That's crap. Small amounts of water get into the cylinder all the time, either through humid air condensing because of pressure changes or temperature changes through the intake system or just simple road and puddle splatter. You get some water droplets in the cylinder and they just cook off in the heat and you get some hot and cold spots in the combustion chamber that lead to inclomplete combustion or maybe very mild pinging. Who cares?

Water doesn't (really) compress. That's why you use it in hydrolics, after all. To hydrolock a motor you need to get enough water into the cylinder that on the compression or exhaust stroke, there is too great a volume of water in the cylinder for the stroke to finish at which point you start bending things like crankshafts or piston rods since the water won't compress or move any further. You need to have more water in your cylinder than the volume of your combustion chamber. 2.0L motor, 4 cylinders each is 500cc per cylinder. 10 to 1 compression ration means the combustion chamber is 50cc in size. You need to get more than a shotglass of water into your cylinder to hydrolock a motor for this example. Our motor has a bigger combustion chamber and slightly larger cylinders, so it's even more water. This may not sound like much but considering the presence of a filter and how hard it is to suck water droplets and road splatter through it, saturated or otherwise, it's massive. You need to have your air filter submerged and saturated, and a CAI is about what, 12 - 18 inches off the ground? That's higher than your doorsill. You need to get yourself into deep freakin' water to hydrolock.

you do know before products like seafoam, water was squirted into the throttle body (tiny amounts) to "steam clean" the engine.

Just because your filter gets moist doesnt mean your engine is going to explode. You need to really submerge the front of your car.

haven't you guys figured out that no matter what he is told, no matter how many facts you give him, or no matter how wrong he is, you will never get through to him and he continues to garble his same crap and arguments in every possible post that he can? Look through his all of his posts both under the current screen name and MS3077 and you will see the same basic 2 arguments: ms3 is greater than everything and cobb sri is the greatest thing in the world.

He was also hard2kill and Ghost Rider (I'm surprised he hasn't taken Tupac as a name yet, actually), but mostly I like to tweak his nose. Trust me, I know how he works, I've had my run-ins with him before.

Plus if even one person who believes his insane and arbitrary fact-free position on CAIs reads my post, learns from it and stops listening to him, my words aren't wasted.

In addition to the engine size, I think you may have gotten some mis-information. The 2010 MS3 is not scheduled to hit the lots until late June or early July. If I remember right, they don't even start building the NA version until late April/early May.

I am in New Zealand & we seem to get the cars here before the US gets them. We also share the same specifications as the JDM ones which maybe why I was told we are getting a 2.5L Turbo version.

I am in New Zealand & we seem to get the cars here before the US gets them. We also share the same specifications as the JDM ones which maybe why I was told we are getting a 2.5L Turbo version.

Maybe. Or maybe they just made a mistake. I say this because, if Top Gear is correct, then the 2.3 DISI isn't just going to be offered in the NorthAmerican spec Speed3. Any way, mounting 2 different engines (assuming they use a already developed engine, like Ford/Volvo's 2.5l turbo 5) for a "limited production" car that's supposed to be profitable at a fairly low price seems like a bad way to keep costs down IMO.

He was also hard2kill and Ghost Rider (I'm surprised he hasn't taken Tupac as a name yet, actually), but mostly I like to tweak his nose. Trust me, I know how he works, I've had my run-ins with him before.

Plus if even one person who believes his insane and arbitrary fact-free position on CAIs reads my post, learns from it and stops listening to him, my words aren't wasted.

I for one appreciate your responses; I don't have the patience to deal with his incoherent arguments.

While not nearly as controversial as some of the WRX grilles... Mazda's definitely taking a risk. I generally like the styling (inside and out) of the car... the front will definitely take some getting used to. Just for comparrison sake...

MS3.JPG

Anyone else noticed the lines on the side (the curve from the bottom sill up to the rear wheel) look like the Mazda2? I am very curious about what the wheels look like.

I will. Being scared of hydrolock happening to your car if you have a CAI is like being scared of being outside because ice buildup from a plane flying overhead might break off and hit you - theoretically feasible but so wildly out there it's just not worth worrying about it. Stay out of stupidly deep puddles, there, you're safe. A simple grasp of physics and engineering and a little forethought just saved you from paranoia, isn't that great? The question of warrantying a hydrolocked car with an MSCAI is moot, as you cannot hydrolock a car without extreme negligence as a driver.

You can't always tell how deep a puddle is bud, especially at night. I'm not willing to take the risk, you are and more power to you!

I for one appreciate your responses; I don't have the patience to deal with his incoherent arguments.

Incoherent arguments? Dude, here's the deal... You don't like what I have to say and you call it incoherent, that’s smart! Keep on believing the same ole BS some of these morons feed down you throat I don't care it's your car. My arguments are valid only to ppl with common sense. You drive through a deep enough rain puddle (not knowing how deep it is because it's muddy, dark, etc) you can and or will hydrolock your car. You might think it's a shallow puddle but in reality it's pretty deep and boom! Hydrolock and you're out about 8k for a motor. What is so "incoherent" about that? I'm sure my 7 yr old nephew could grasp this simple concept... You’re insults are pathetic by the way, just another one of this forums sheep’s following H&A, nothing new here.

P.S. Take a little visit to Central Florida during the summer months and watch your thoughts/ opinons about hydrolock give you a reality check like real fast.

Last edited:
Wow... talk about OT. Anyway... I'd hope that anyone with a CAI would be careful enough NOT to drive through a 2 foot puddle! lol I mean really people... I don't care if you live in FL or... Monsoonville... you can't be too careful. I had a CAI on my MSP for 5+ years and now a CAI on my MS3. Both had filters... for what it's worth. But since I can't imagine myself ever driving through anything substantial (I'd just turn around and find another way... F the people behind me if they give me s***) those filters are merely precautionary.

Here are some pictures of the car in my dealership. It apparently was a base 2.0l car. I didn't have a lot of time since I was a bit late for work.

DSCN4726.jpg

DSCN4728.jpg

DSCN4730.jpg

You cant really see this in the picture, but the interiors where tan cloth, and this car had only the radio info screen uncovered. Directly in front of the driver, there was some white plastic covering the dash. IDK if it was covering anything or was just there for the dash's protection.

I'd already seen another white one on the street, but as I was getting out of my car to take the pictures a red sedan was leaving the dealership, I managed to take one picture of it.

DSCN4727.jpg

thats a whole lotta plastic molding on the grille of the white one.

My consensus so far is that the base models don't look so hot but the speed3 can almost pull off the grille

Incoherent arguments? Dude, here's the deal... You don't like what I have to say and you call it incoherent, that’s smart! Keep on believing the same ole BS some of these morons feed down you throat I don't care it's your car. My arguments are valid only to ppl with common sense. You drive through a deep enough rain puddle (not knowing how deep it is because it's muddy, dark, etc) you can and or will hydrolock your car. You might think it's a shallow puddle but in reality it's pretty deep and boom! Hydrolock and you're out about 8k for a motor. What is so "incoherent" about that? I'm sure my 7 yr old nephew could grasp this simple concept... You’re insults are pathetic by the way, just another one of this forums sheep’s following H&A, nothing new here.

P.S. Take a little visit to Central Florida during the summer months and watch your thoughts/ opinons about hydrolock give you a reality check like real fast.

I just can't understand how someone as knowledgeable and articulate as you gets banned on a continuing basis...

Last edited:
I took this pic of one at the Chicago Auto Show yesterday. Seeing it in person... it's poo. Not a fan.

3290506653_fcee82c159_o.jpg

Back