After Market Tail Light

olddaddy

I need a drivers side tail light for my 06. Through Mazda its is $366. I see after market ones out there for about $200. I was wondering if anyone got an after market and if they are ok. No bone yards around me have any and the used ones I have found online are over $200.

HIS definition of after market is different from OUR definition of after market.

He thinks as if ANYTHING bought NOT from the dealer is after market.

WE define after market as something in shape, size, color, style, etc
DIFFERENT from OEM shape, size, color, style, etc.

My dad does the same thing, ...

"Why don't you just buy an after market tire for your car." (eek2)

"Okay dad, I'll go down to the FireStone place and get a tire that is
the exact same size shape and color as the one that came from the
factory, and call it after market, okay?"

So... cut the guy some slack, I just think he's old school, bet you did
not know that years ago, you could only get ANY car part from the
'dealer' / 'factory' huh, huh, did ya think of that?? (chair)

Better off if he had just said, I need a replacement tail light and left it at that...

(burp) now go drink some beer and lets get back to the fun ! (hump)

Peace!(rei)

Last edited:
No sir, those are 06-07 OEM tails

This is the quote from their listing

"These lights were tested on the vehicle so the fit is like the originals. These are professionally manufactured by the leading aftermarket lighting company in the world. This is the best quality aftermarket part in the market today."

So I assume they are not OEM. If they are could you please explain.

HIS definition of after market is different from OUR definition of after market.

He thinks as if ANYTHING bought NOT from the dealer is after market.

WE define after market as something in shape, size, color, style, etc
DIFFERENT from OEM shape, size, color, style, etc.

My dad does the same thing, ...

"Why don't you just buy an after market tire for your car." (eek2)

"Okay dad, I'll go down to the FireStone place and get a tire that is
the exact same size shape and color as the one that came from the
factory, and call it after market, okay?"

So... cut the guy some slack, I just think he's old school, bet you did
not know that years ago, you could only get ANY car part from the
'dealer' / 'factory' huh, huh, did ya think of that?? (chair)

Better off if he had just said, I need a replacement tail light and left it at that...

(burp) now go drink some beer and lets get back to the fun ! (hump)

Peace!(rei)

If you are saying that any part that fits then it is the same as a OEM part, you are wrong.

Aftermarket parts are manufactured by a different company than an OEM. Differences is quality, color, materials, durabilty etc can result.

My concern is that I want a taillight that will look, fit and have the durability as my other taillight which is OEM.

not to sound like an ass but if you wan't OEM quality usually OEM is the only option. Yeah there are many exceptions, though I dont think light assemblies are one of them. Try www.car-part.com for some off a wrecked one.

My definition of aftermarket is any part that does not have the exact same manufacturer and part number as the same ilk of part would have had it come from the factory (ie - OEM). If that makes me "old school", I'm okay with that.

Your definition seems to imply that I can go buy a part off a blanket from the guy on the street, and as long as it's the same size, shape, color and material as the factory part, then it's OEM. That's completely wrong... since the factory part could be constructed in Japan, using computerized micro-tolerance plastic welding machines and titanium jigs, while the part off the blanket could be made in Timbuktu, by same guy in a tree using hot glue and band-aids.

OEM literally means Original Equipment Manufacturer. A part made by the same manufacturer as the original equipment. It doesn't mean it simply looks and fits like the original part.

Typically, but not always, you'll only find OEM parts at the dealer... because it's usually in the contract that the part manufacturer signs with the auto manufacturer that the auto company has exclusive rights to sell the part.

How is the quality of those bandaid/hot glue taillights, GreyGoose? I may lower my standards in order to be the only one out there with a stylin' set of lights :)

I guess I got lucky. Found a OEM tail light at a Alabama bone yard on fleabay for $45 shipped. I hope now I will never know if the non oem tail light is any good.

Last edited:
Back