Advice with problems on my new MS6

salth2o

:
06 MS6
Ok everone I need some help...Thanks in advance for reading the long post

Ok so got my new MS6 on Oct 31st. Took it home and noticed that the allignment was off , power windows do not work on passanger side, and car needed a waxing badly.

So took it back in and they were great and had a rental waiting for me. Took the car to be aligned and to a detailer for full buffing and waxing. So picked the car up next day and looks great, alignment seems ok (they said it was a bit off but not much).

Fast forward about a week and I back out of my garage and finally pay attention to the fact that there is oil on my garage floor, while there normally is not. I clean it up figuring who knows maybe it was a fluke or something. Next morning...more oil on the garage! So I take it in right away and they say hang on, get me a rental, then take it back. They catch me on my way out and say that the transmission plug was not on tight, and that was where the leak was from. They say go ahead and take the rental and they are going to clean the underside and re-detail the car like a new delivery for me.

Now fast forward to Friday night I am driving home from Downtown Chicago (where I work) to home, about 30 miles away. Driving along in fifth gear, all the sudden the tack flies up to 6000 and car is revving. I realize the car has popped out of fifth gear....huh maybe I bumped it, so I put it back in and drive for about 2 minutes...pops out again. This time I can not get it back in gear unless I double clutch it. This continues the whole way home, but only in fifth gear. Now cant even go from fouth to fifth, it seems like the car is in gear, but the second you apply gas, it pops out of gear. To top it off, the alignment is bad again, but it is strange as it only drifts left when at highway speeds. Does this make sense to anyone?

So I call the service manager Sat morning and leave a message. He calls me back about 3 in the afternoon and I explain the problem to him. He says he remebers reading a service bullitin about this and bring it in Monday morning and they will take care of it, also re look at the alignment.

Now driving yesterday I notice a very distinct engine/drivetrain/? whine noise. It is almost like the noise a wound up turbo would make, but constant, and not only on throttle. It is very noticeable and just does not sound right to me. Trouble is I can not remeber if it was there all along and I did not notice it, or if that just started too? Do all the MS6 sound this way or is this another problem? I plan to talk to them about it tomorrow but I am not sure what to tell them.

So....basically any advice or comments about if these are common problems or noted issues, how to deal with them and the dealer, and advice on if I am going to keep having problems with this car. I really love the car inspite of all of this, just dont want a problem child and feeling that way now.

Again, thanks for all the help!

You should hear a small whine from the back end at around 45mph up to 55mph. It's the rear diff and is common on all ms6's from what I have read. engaging the handbrake just a little should make it go away....but don't leave the HB engaged! its just doing so disengages the rear diff.

Is this the noise you are hearing?

can you tell if the whine is coming from the tranny? it seems to me they did something to the tranny to keep your car from popping out of fifth..(not knowing what was causing it to pop out of gear)they may have even added some additive or something like that which could cause it to whine.

p.s. "Do all the MS6 sound this way or is this another problem?"

no ms6 i've heard of has a constant whine..sorry man, sounds like a problem....and a terrible dealer too

Basically the noise sound like the alternator whine you would hear through a bad stereo install. Kinda like the turbo engaging all the time...really loud though, disturbingly loud.

Sorry to hear about your issues. I have a whine (slight) also. It happens around 40-50 mph. When I accelerate even just a small amount, I don't here it. I think it's from the Bridgestones.

whine

I have a howl at around 70kmhr and am sure it's the rear diff. I have it in the shop this week as the dealer doesn't believe it should be there either.
I've had winter tires put on so that's ruled out. They are going to keep it for a few days to do some troubleshooting.
I also have a reverbaration (low level, cycling vibration) between 85 and 115kmhr. They want to find the source of that too.

Jaque,
Interesting, let me know if they come up with anything, and I will do the same for you.

Kevin

Yikes

Dude, that's scary as sh!t. It sounds like the tranny is a lemon. THe alignment thing is weird as well. As long as you're getting cooperation from the dealer and your happy with their response, keep working it. If they start throwing up road blocks, I'd consider lemon laws... Sorry. That sucks.

Ok, so an update for you all. Basically I saw my car the other day spread all over the shop. They showed my where the synchro was bad, and 2 bad bearings in the tranny, plus some plate thingie (not sure what it was). They were supposed to be ordering parts for it. So went in on thursday to pick up something out of my car and Service Manager tells me parts are on back order til at least mid December.... There was supposed to be a guy from Mazda USA coming to look at the parts and see if they could find either parts or a whole tranny in Japan and have it aired here. Otherwise, he tells me the Mazda guy said maybe they would need to buy the car back. I am hoping at this point they just buy it back since I have had nothing but problems with it since day one!

Let you know more when I have more.

salth2o said:
Ok, so an update for you all. Basically I saw my car the other day spread all over the shop. They showed my where the synchro was bad, and 2 bad bearings in the tranny, plus some plate thingie (not sure what it was). They were supposed to be ordering parts for it. So went in on thursday to pick up something out of my car and Service Manager tells me parts are on back order til at least mid December.... There was supposed to be a guy from Mazda USA coming to look at the parts and see if they could find either parts or a whole tranny in Japan and have it aired here. Otherwise, he tells me the Mazda guy said maybe they would need to buy the car back. I am hoping at this point they just buy it back since I have had nothing but problems with it since day one!

Let you know more when I have more.

If it were me i would DEMAND they buy it back.

1killercls said:
If it were me i would DEMAND they buy it back.

Yeah I have started that avenue this morning. Talked to the service manager again and he tells me Mazda is looking all over both Japan and Canada to find either parts or a complete tranny to replace. Supposed to let me know today what they find. Also spoke with MazdaUSA and explained what was going on to them. They agreed to repay my for this months car payments and help me in any way they can!

I am seriously frustrated, but not sure what I can do, and what else they can do for me. Depending on the possibility of them getting me new parts or tranny then we will look at buy back....so here I sit waiting to drive my car.

If buyback is an option, I'd take it. If it's not, I'd demand it. If they decline, I'd hire a lawyer. You can always get another MS6 that wasn't built on Friday afternoon at 4:45... Could you ever trust the one you "own?"

Heard from them yesterday got in my brand new tranny flown here from Japan. Supposedly will be installed and ready to go by middle of the week. I am not thrilled, but at least its a new tranny and not parts to the broken one. We will see what happens from here. I will say this at least the people at Mazda and the dealer are all being really cool. Who ever heard of a car manufacturer making a payment for you.....but that still does not change the fact my new car is tainted and will I ever be able to be ok with it.

This sucks to hear Salth2o, I bought mine around the same time as you but 1450 miles later no problems here......................Good luck to you bud!

OK so here is the update. Got my car back with the new tranny last Friday. First impressions are pretty good, seems to shift smoother then before, and stays in fifth gear which is a plus. Alignment is now pullling right, but I guess they over corrected for the left pull so they are fixing that this week. Everything else seems ok....

All in all Mazda was pretty good, they paid my car payment for me, and the dealer threw in a set of all weather mazda mats. We will see what happens in the future. Only needs to be out of service for another 10 days and that is lemon law in Illinois so hopefully I never get to that point.

Ok new update for you all.

Car is NOT ok, since I got it back I have a serious alignment issue, that switched from Right to Left drift. The center cluster (stereo and climate readout) stopped working in the mornings. There is a drag of sorts, like brakes are holding up, and finally I am not sure that the AWD is working.

I have had it, and told Mazda I need a new car, no more games. We are in negotiations now and we will see where we get. I will let you all know.

Has anyone else had any problems like this?????? Do I even want a new MS6???

Thanks

I've been following this thread and I'm really feel for you salth2o. I 've got 4600 miles on my MS6 which I bought a few days before you brought yours home and so far no issues. My build date is 1/16/06. Good luck with Mazda and please keep us updated.

late8 said:
I've been following this thread and I'm really feel for you salth2o. I 've got 4600 miles on my MS6 which I bought a few days before you brought yours home and so far no issues. My build date is 1/16/06. Good luck with Mazda and please keep us updated.

Thanks for the sentement. I am working with the dealer this weekend on a new car. Hopefully we can get there, so far we are a ways apart. Next step is a lawyer, and I really do not want to go there if I can avoid it, but I will if I need to.

How do you know the build date? I am wondering if mine was one of the first cars or something.

thanks again

Back