Advanced Keyless Entry Annoying w/o Touch Sensors??

tnm6i

:
'13 Accord Coupe i4/EX-L
So I'm currently researching my next vehicle and am really liking the 2017 CX-5. I currently drive a 2013 Accord Coupe that has Honda's Smart Entry. After four years of having it, I've decided I don't want a vehicle without the same system. I noticed Mazda's version doesn't have touch sensors on the back of the door handles, therefore requiring a button press every time you open a locked driver or passenger door. Is this annoying to anyone? I really think this would bug me to no end since I'm so used to just opening the door normally, but with a slight pause after placing my hand on it. Just wondering if anyone has had a car with smart entry with touch sensors then moved to the Mazda system. I may get used to it if I get a CX-5, but my gut says it would be annoying. Thoughts?

So I'm currently researching my next vehicle and am really liking the 2017 CX-5. I currently drive a 2013 Accord Coupe that has Honda's Smart Entry. After four years of having it, I've decided I don't want a vehicle without the same system. I noticed Mazda's version doesn't have touch sensors on the back of the door handles, therefore requiring a button press every time you open a locked driver or passenger door. Is this annoying to anyone? I really think this would bug me to no end since I'm so used to just opening the door normally, but with a slight pause after placing my hand on it. Just wondering if anyone has had a car with smart entry with touch sensors then moved to the Mazda system. I may get used to it if I get a CX-5, but my gut says it would be annoying. Thoughts?

I have "comfort access" in my BMW, and my previous Mazda has the button, I don't find the difference annoying at all.

What I do find annoying, is that the Mazda has walk away locking, which my vehicle, that costs twice as much doesn't. [emoji35]

Sent from my iPhone 7+ using Tapatalk

#FirstWorldProblems

I very quickly learned to grab the door handle in a way that positioned my thumb over the button. Quick press, short pause and open away. I don't even notice it anymore.

You must be very particular [emoji1]

After 2 years of owning my CX5, I now have severe tendinitis in my thumbs. My life is ruined from this point forward. I mean, without opposable functioning thumbs, I'm no better off than 99.9% of the animal population.

Lifelong disability is my future and I'm thankful I don't live in a country that disparages the less fortunate and blames them for societies woes.

In all seriousness, we also have a 2015 CRV. I actually like the system on the Mazda a bit better. You're definitely overthinking this.

Yes I know this is a first world problem, and is super picky, but if I'm spending my hard-earned money on something I gonna make darn sure I limit my compromises to a tolerable level. I'm sure I'd get to used to pressing the button to unlock the door, but wanted some hands-on experiences to see what others think of the system.

I have "comfort access" in my BMW, and my previous Mazda has the button, I don't find the difference annoying at all.

Agree with B&K. We have a Volvo that works like his BMW, and the Mazda. Just pull on the Volvo, like your Accord, slight hesitation, door unlocks. Mazda, press the button. After the first week of remembering to "press once on passenger side and twice on driver side to unlock all doors" it's second nature and not even remotely (remotely?!?) annoying.

This may be a RTM problem, but locking the 2015 is fine. Unlocking, the front door with the touch button is OK. Unlocking the rear doors, not so easy.

I have mine programmed to unlock all doors when the button is pressed. My wife and I are always riding together so it makes it easier. This can be done in the settings menu of the system.

Well, I was playing around at lunch and have determined the button press is probably a moot issue, for the most part. Like @PaulZooms stated, it's easy to position your thumb on the button while reaching for the handle. I don't think this would be a barrier after a few days of getting used to it.

Now my CX-5 research can resume :D

I have mine programmed to unlock all doors when the button is pressed. My wife and I are always riding together so it makes it easier. This can be done in the settings menu of the system.

Yes! I love that we can customize things like this. In my previous Ford Edge there was no customization at all for vehicle functions like this.

Perhaps just use the remote so by the time you get to the door, you just have to use the handle?

I got used to the touch sensors on the Prius I had and now find pushing the button for the CX-5 slightly annoying. I'm already getting used to it and probably won't even think about it in another few weeks. Loving everything else about the car so far.
I do find myself unlocking the car with my fob as I walk up to it about half the time.

Not annoying at all. My boyfriend and I trade cars all the time and his Ford Focus ST has the touch sensors you're describing. Neither one of us find the button press on the Mazda annoying at all after being used to the touch sensors in his Ford. I actually prefer it because when I leave the car I like that tactile button press to know for sure the car is locked. Pressing the button eventually just becomes part of how you naturally open the door so you won't even think about it.

Not annoying at all. My boyfriend and I trade cars all the time and his Ford Focus ST has the touch sensors you're describing. Neither one of us find the button press on the Mazda annoying at all after being used to the touch sensors in his Ford. I actually prefer it because when I leave the car I like that tactile button press to know for sure the car is locked. Pressing the button eventually just becomes part of how you naturally open the door so you won't even think about it.

Plus by actually pressing the button, the number of beeps confirms if it is locked or unlocked (1 beep for locked, 2 beeps for unlocked)

You never would've survived the '70s...

There wasn't keyless entry/smart entry in the 70s, or even power windows and locks in most cars. I'm sure I would have survived just fine without the things that didn't even exist at the time. Might have even endured having separate keys for the doors and truck. Oh wait, I did survive that!

Fortunately we're not in the 70s and we have technologically-advanced features on things like cars and we have choices. I didn't say I would absolutely NOT buy a vehicle that didn't have touch sensors on the door now did I?

I just moved from a 2013 4 banger Accord Sedan with your same touch system to the 2017 CX-5 GT "press button to unlock" system and had the exact same concern. Personally, I was able to quickly adapt myself so I believe it's a matter of getting used to. Also my CX-5 locks the doors automatically as I walk away from the car so no buttons to press to lock the car! I don't think the Accord has that.

By the way did you guys notice there is also a lock/unlock button at the hatch door as well? I only noticed it after delivery so that was a nice convenience too. (Unlock car for passengers when you are at back of the car)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wife's Camry Hybrid has the advanced keyless system where you simply walk up to the vehicle and grab the door handle. Now that I have to push the request button on the Mazda, pushing the request button on the Camry while grabbing the handle drives it nuts. Beeps for 5 seconds - at least.

Back