Adding Seafoam into the throttle body

jcolman

:
2007 MS3
How difficult is it to do this to an 07' MS3? It looks to me like accessing the TB is a pita. Is there an easier way?

Your better off pulling off a vac line and putting it in there. The process is easy, finding the right, or a good vacuum line is the question.

the typical location is the brake boost line. disconnect it from the booster, and add to the hose from there.

Thanks guys. Do you have to bleed the line or anything like that? I assume that you still run the engine for 5 minutes while spraying seafoam into the line?

Any links to a thread on the proper procedure to do this?

Last edited:
Thanks guys. Do you have to bleed the line or anything like that? I assume that you still run the engine for 5 minutes while spraying seafoam into the line?

One must confer with the Dark Lord

there are basic instructions on the can, and at least 2 how-to threads on these forums. google probably could find 100,000+ websites with tutorials, since the stuff has been around forever.

You basically allow the booster line to consume the seafoam @ a slow rate in order to keep the engine from stalling.

Cleaning the throttle body would have a greater effect.

It is becoming more a more common opinion that Seafoam doesn't do much.

Thanks guys. I looked around and found one or two but nothing with precise instructions. The instructions on my can call for it to be sprayed directly into the throttle body, not the brake boost line. I'm still a bit unclear as to the proper procedure using the BB line. For example, I'm unsure if I am supposed to block off the brake boost line once I disconnect it. My can of Seafoam is a spray canister. Do I spray it directly into the brake boost line? It seems to me that people are using a liquid form of Seafoam and sucking it in or something.

if you have the can in your possession already, just follow the directions on the can. deviating from the recommended procedure can sometimes lead to damage.

if you have the can in your possession already, just follow the directions on the can. deviating from the recommended procedure can sometimes lead to damage.

The directions on the can state to spray into the throttle body. It's a royal pita to get to the TB. That's why I'm asking for other solutions, if any.

The spray is better for carberators....you shoukd really use the kind you pour

very simple to pull the brake boost line, use a funnel that fits in it, and pour while a friend keeps the rpms up just enough to keep from stalling

do this when the engine is at operating temp, pour in 1/3 or 1/2 the can slowly (this is where a friend comes in handy to keep the revs up), shut the engine off for about 5-10 minutes, then start back up and rev it up and down several times. Smoke should ensue the area

they have different types: liquid, spray for fuel injection, and spray for carbs. he has the spray for fuel injection.

it may be a PITA to get at the throttle body, so just pull the tube that goes from the top mount to the throttle, and stick the spray tube in there.

Okay....so im guessing the op ONLY wants to clean up the throttle body? In that case, just like njaremka said just take the boost tube off and spray

if you still want to do the intake cleaning via pouring into the brake booster, this will make it simple....

This is where you disconnect...

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

use pliers and wiggle it off (the part that is closer to the front of the car). This will be under vacuum while you are idling. You can undo it before you start up your engine, and stick your finger in the hole until you are ready to pour in your seafoam

that vacuum line is being fed negative pressure (vacuum) from a connection point right on your intake plenum here...

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

If you look at your throttle body its the hose just AFTER the throttle body (if you follow the direction of the air supplied to the engine

in your case this would not clean your throttle, but it would absolutely clean the rest of your engine

Last edited:
What is your intent with the seafoam? If you are trying to clean the throttlebody than you have no choice other than to remove what ever you have to in order to access the throttle plate. The spray is good for that if you even need it in the first place.

If you want to top clean your upper cylinders than find a vacuum source closest to them and slowly add it versus allowing the engine vacuum to pull it in quickly. On my engine I use the PCV hose but I am not familiar with the MS3 setup.

I've never had to clean my throttle plate with 87K so far. But I have done a whole lot of seafoam treatments both via the PCV hose and adding to the gas. It works when used frequently. I always use the liquid in the bottle versus the spray. No reason why you could not spray it in to a vacuum source for top cleaning.

http://www.seafoamsales.com/

very simple to pull the brake boost line, use a funnel that fits in it, and pour while a friend keeps the rpms up just enough to keep from stalling

do this when the engine is at operating temp, pour in 1/3 or 1/2 the can slowly (this is where a friend comes in handy to keep the revs up), shut the engine off for about 5-10 minutes, then start back up and rev it up and down several times. Smoke should ensue the area

Thank you! So there is no need to block off the other end of the BB line?

What is your intent with the seafoam? If you are trying to clean the throttlebody than you have no choice other than to remove what ever you have to in order to access the throttle plate. The spray is good for that if you even need it in the first place.

If you want to top clean your upper cylinders than find a vacuum source closest to them and slowly add it versus allowing the engine vacuum to pull it in quickly. On my engine I use the PCV hose but I am not familiar with the MS3 setup.

I've never had to clean my throttle plate with 87K so far. But I have done a whole lot of seafoam treatments both via the PCV hose and adding to the gas. It works when used frequently. I always use the liquid in the bottle versus the spray. No reason why you could not spray it in to a vacuum source for top cleaning.

http://www.seafoamsales.com/

I'm trying to see if I can clean out the carbon buildup in my EGV valve. I've got 44k miles on my car.

Back