Actual Fuel Consumption (for 2.3L)

New Phase!

:
Integra (at the moment)
From the brouches it stated the fuel consumption is 9.2L / 100km. (city)

For the current 3 owner, does this figure seems reasonable for the actual gas conumption?

Would be nice if you can state on average how many kms do you get out of one tank of gas, and what type of gas do you put in the 3?

thank for the info! :)

MZ3 manual states 87 octane gas is good (i.e. regular).

I'm having fun and driving hard and the car is still new, but my mileage is about 10 L/100Km, around 500 km / tank

I'm using 87 octane. In this weather we've been getting (consider having the heater on and tires spinning on ice/snow from a dead stop), I've been averaging about 9.09L/100km in the city. Essentially, that's roughly 500kms on a 55L tank.

Also should get better.

uclap5 - L/100 km and mileage conversions differ due to the different gallon size as well - check out the MAZDA sites for better consumption guides. The best I can say is it's close to the CITY mileage now, and I'm not even at 900 km (550 miles); so still in break-in period. Also driving hard & fun - I could save a LOT of gas if I didn't enjoy the car so much.

I think the fuel consumption is not that good on 2.3L engine. Mainly I believe the engine revs so high at 4th gear......IMHO

I'm not sure yet. I bought it with the knowledge of its mileage by the ratings. I think 4/5th gears are only relevent if you are doing highway driving, and then I hope the mileage will get better! I've been doing all city, and driving hard, and it's where it should be so far.

If you need better gas mileage, check out Honda. They're still the industry leader.

I have 4000kms on mine. Fuel consumption is very good IMO. The cold weather isn't helping right now though.

please use gallons or mpg (miles Per Gallon) some of us do live in the united states of america !! .ALSO Dont use 87 octane gas it causes build up of contaminants &unbalanced combustion.and use mobil 1 oil I use 15W50 & system flush tranny more than it says to with the right fluid, (my last mazda would not have lasted 305,000miles if I did'nt use 93 octane). unless you have a ford /mercury EDSEL.Poor Quality materials/design/machineing/workmanship those cars should not have ever been allowed to leave the mfg plant. 5star LOL, 1* tires 2*seats 3*a steering wheel 4*lightbulbs 5*doors.NOT SAFE ANYTIME/ANYWHERE !!! MAZDA RULES :)

From what I read here

http://auto.howstuffworks.com/question90.htm

my understand from this document is, the purpose for low octance gas is for engine which has low compression ratio. (which I believe in Mazda 3 is one of those engine).

Whereas using low octance gas would generated more contaminants and unbalanced combustion or using higher octane would enhance the life span of an engine. Can you elaborate on that?

joeyjojoshabado said:
please use gallons or mpg (miles Per Gallon) some of us do live in the united states of america !! .ALSO Dont use 87 octane gas it causes build up of contaminants &unbalanced combustion.and use mobil 1 oil I use 15W50 & system flush tranny more than it says to with the right fluid, (my last mazda would not have lasted 305,000miles if I did'nt use 93 octane). unless you have a ford /mercury EDSEL.Poor Quality materials/design/machineing/workmanship those cars should not have ever been allowed to leave the mfg plant. 5star LOL, 1* tires 2*seats 3*a steering wheel 4*lightbulbs 5*doors.NOT SAFE ANYTIME/ANYWHERE !!! MAZDA RULES :)

No. I'll use L/100km if I want to. Some of you have to adapt. :p

No. I'll use 87 octane if I want to. The car was designed for it.

joeyjojoshabado said:

That was a funny post.

Use the octane the car was designed for. high octane gas isnt any cleaner. You are just going to have premature cat failure and/ or reduced power

joeyjojoshabado said:

You have just shown that you are subject to propoganda. Unless the car has VERY high compression, or your using a turbocharger/supercharger, 87 octane should be used. Contaminants and unbalanced combustion? Thats two VERY different issues. Contaminants are filtered out by your fuel filter, but if there are there its bad gas...not the fault of the octane rating. Unbalenced combustion is a result of a poorly designed fuel injection system or another MAJOR problem with the motor.

I have owned 5 cars that had 250+ miles on them. All 3 of them the bodies rusted off before the engine even started burning oil (We lived in Maine). 2 where wrecked. One of the local RX7 guys(I also have an RX7) has 407,000 miles on his GSL-SE(he knows how to maintain the car) and it hasn't seen a drop of 93 octane fuel since it was new.

If anything, 93 octane would cause unburned fuel in a car not designed for it. Why? Because octane is a chemical that causes fuel to NOT burn as easily. Thats why you want it in a high-performance engine.

If anyone wants to know how to do quick and easy unit conversions for all the mileage stuff, you just need to know one word. Google!

Try this. Go to google, and type in the search box exactly the following:

9.2 L/100km in miles per gallon

Google calculator then returns:

9.2 L/100km = 25.5668026 miles per gallon

It's a great tool. It can take any math problem, in plain english or in math syntax. Very very handy. :)

Back